Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

    backwards running?

    Share
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:07 pm

    Has anyone ever heard anything about backwards running being good for your hamstrings??

    My coach told me this, and seeing as 80% of the things she's ever told me about running have turned out to be false, I thought I'd ask around.

    I'm looking for info on some running websites, but I can't seem to find anything. Neutral
    avatar
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 5675
    Age : 26
    Location : Nati fo eva
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by AudienceOfOne on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 pm

    no, don't try it. there's nothing that it will give you that you can't get from doing something that looks halfway sensible.


    _________________
    1600/4:52.3 3200/10:17.5 5000 XC/16:47

    Oh, Death, where is your sting?
    Aint nothin' left to bring
    Resurrected, perfected,
    What can affect this King?
    avatar
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 3092
    Age : 26
    Location : down by the bay, washington
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Pinthin on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:16 pm

    my coach use to make us do a little bit in our warm-up, but she stopped doing it. I wouldn't bother.
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 pm

    Okay, thanks, that's what I thought.
    avatar
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1729
    Location : Florida
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by T B K on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:28 pm

    Stupid and is a recipe for injury. Don't do it.

    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1374
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by hxc on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 pm

    LOL your coach probably watched St. Ralph and decided to use it as a training guideline.

    What other stupid stuff has your coach told you?
    avatar
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

    Number of posts : 3475
    Age : 26
    Location : HK
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by alex-likes-running on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:40 pm

    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:LOL your coach probably watched St. Ralph and decided to use it as a training guideline.

    hahaahahaha

    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:06 pm

    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:LOL your coach probably watched St. Ralph and decided to use it as a training guideline.

    What other stupid stuff has your coach told you?
    I think I need to watch that movie now. Not for any training advice, of course. Razz

    We should be doing long runs 30 seconds to a minute slower than race pace, building a base is not important (says the woman who ran a 5k pr during her marathon training Rolling Eyes ), I'm a faster runner than her (not relevant, but that was when I started to realize that she has no clue what she's talking about haha), and general stuff along the lines of "running 25mpw of intervals will help you a lot!"
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 24
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by running_violet on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 pm

    a friend of mine from University of Wisconsin-Madison said their coach has them walk backwards on an inclined treadmill to work your hamstrings for about 6-8 minutes.
    Now our high school team does it too.
    avatar
    ND XC 23
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 587
    Location : US of A
    Mile Time : i like to do stuff
    Class : funny
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by ND XC 23 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 pm

    xc running gal wrote:a friend of mine from University of Wisconsin-Madison said their coach has them walk backwards on an inclined treadmill to work your hamstrings for about 6-8 minutes.
    Now our high school team does it too.

    ya, when my dad hurt his hamstring, they had him do that in PT. the pts and trainers at my gym swear by it. (not running though...that seems stupid, although my winter coach had us do it in warmup and i would just fall over)
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm

    ND XC 23 wrote:
    xc running gal wrote:a friend of mine from University of Wisconsin-Madison said their coach has them walk backwards on an inclined treadmill to work your hamstrings for about 6-8 minutes.
    Now our high school team does it too.

    ya, when my dad hurt his hamstring, they had him do that in PT. the pts and trainers at my gym swear by it. (not running though...that seems stupid, although my winter coach had us do it in warmup and i would just fall over)
    thanks, maybe that's what my coach was thinking of and she just messed it up and said running instead
    avatar
    xotrackkgirl
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1064
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by xotrackkgirl on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 pm

    we do that sometimes for fun
    but it stinks cause someone always ends up falling.

    Through_the_Pain
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 565
    Age : 26
    Location : New York City
    Mile Time : ???
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Through_the_Pain on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

    i do this thing where i run backwards on my toes for 15 seconds.I saw it in a dynamic stretching video but i think what ur talking about is different.
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 28
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by CT Track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:39 pm

    Its alright for a calf exercise sometimes. Hamstring? Its never affected that before so idk where you would get that. The only downside is the chance of falling. We do a backwards running type for warmups.
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm

    Through_the_Pain wrote:i do this thing where i run backwards on my toes for 15 seconds.I saw it in a dynamic stretching video but i think what ur talking about is different.
    yeah, probably, because my coach told me to do maybe 4x100m of this and that would definitly take more than 15 seconds haha
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm

    CT Track wrote:Its alright for a calf exercise sometimes. Hamstring? Its never affected that before so idk where you would get that. The only downside is the chance of falling. We do a backwards running type for warmups.
    Yeah, my coach told me that thing about it being for hamstrings... idk...

    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1374
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by hxc on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 pm

    baby got track wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:LOL your coach probably watched St. Ralph and decided to use it as a training guideline.

    What other stupid stuff has your coach told you?
    I think I need to watch that movie now. Not for any training advice, of course. Razz

    We should be doing long runs 30 seconds to a minute slower than race pace, building a base is not important (says the woman who ran a 5k pr during her marathon training Rolling Eyes ), I'm a faster runner than her (not relevant, but that was when I started to realize that she has no clue what she's talking about haha), and general stuff along the lines of "running 25mpw of intervals will help you a lot!"

    I'd recommend you get a new coach.
    avatar
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 2255
    Location : SPARTAAAA!!!!! (NJ, not Greece)
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by baby got track on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 pm

    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    baby got track wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:LOL your coach probably watched St. Ralph and decided to use it as a training guideline.

    What other stupid stuff has your coach told you?
    I think I need to watch that movie now. Not for any training advice, of course. Razz

    We should be doing long runs 30 seconds to a minute slower than race pace, building a base is not important (says the woman who ran a 5k pr during her marathon training Rolling Eyes ), I'm a faster runner than her (not relevant, but that was when I started to realize that she has no clue what she's talking about haha), and general stuff along the lines of "running 25mpw of intervals will help you a lot!"

    I'd recommend you get a new coach.
    She's our school coach for track and xc, I can't. Neutral
    I usually just take what she says, and then do the opposite or just do something totally different.
    avatar
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 657
    Age : 26
    Location : Upnorth Michigan
    Class : ~2011~Sophomore!
    5000m XC Time : 21:00
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Hurdle-Gurl on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm

    It's definitely not something you want to do for a while or a ton that's for sure! It does work your hamstrings pretty well though if you go for about 50-100 meters. We did it as part of one of our relays on our relay day...it gets tiring.
    avatar
    Kugar
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 414
    Age : 27
    Location : Maryland, USA
    Class : Junior
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Kugar on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:36 pm

    Sounds like a big waste of time, or a good way to hurt yourself.

    XC_crazy
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 839
    Age : 26
    Location : Bismarck
    Mile Time : 5:44
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:32
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by XC_crazy on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 pm

    We do it every once in a while for track
    avatar
    Triathlete
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 30
    Location : Washington
    Registration date : 2008-06-18

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Triathlete on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:20 am

    i had a good workout when i did it up steep hills. but yea theres much better things to work your hamstrings...so get a new coach. 25mpw of speedwork?!?! thats insane
    avatar
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4924
    Age : 25
    Location : New York
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by FinishingKick on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 am

    AudienceOfOne wrote:no, don't try it. there's nothing that it will give you that you can't get from doing something that looks halfway sensible.
    Tracko will pounce on you if he ever reads that.
    avatar
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 563
    Age : 25
    Location : Connecticut
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by runnergirl93 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:39 am

    we do backwards running everyday in practice as a part of our plials (ex. geek walks, high knees, but kicks etc. i think theyre actually called polyometrics, im not to sure.)
    avatar
    xotrackkgirl
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1064
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by xotrackkgirl on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 am

    geek walks?

    is that where you go up on your toes then down really slowly as you walk?

    Sponsored content

    Re: backwards running?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 pm