Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+24
mae2937
*sg*
amherst_xc
silly runner:)
TnF_T
RUNxxWILD07
BA_Sadie.
Running With Scissors
BagoXC25
runnergirl93
ButterySmoothStride
hannah
T B K
NotChangingUntilSub5
Through_the_Pain
ILOVEBRIE101
Pinthin
FinishingKick
futureNIKErunner
eternally_running
Just Because
runner4life92
baby got track
hxc
28 posters

Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it)

T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 Empty Re: Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it)

Post by T B K Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm confused. confused
    hannah
    hannah
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-07-11

Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 Empty Re: Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it)

Post by hannah Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 pm

the article just blew my entire idea of running. i don't know if i believe it though, because the examples in there are so isolated, and it seems like if the article's suggestions were accurate they would be better known. plus the author doesn't really seem to have any credentials.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 pm

spergel wrote:the article just blew my entire idea of running. i don't know if i believe it though, because the examples in there are so isolated, and it seems like if the article's suggestions were accurate they would be better known. plus the author doesn't really seem to have any credentials.
    He doesn't, apart from one good runner, Red Hook was a bad team this year.
    futureNIKErunner
    futureNIKErunner
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 3510
    Mile Time : wat goes here again?
    Class : Sophmore
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by futureNIKErunner Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:57 pm

ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    Through_the_Pain wrote:never heard of McDougal but ill look him up

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

It's pathetic that somebody doesn't study elite distance running? No, it's not!
    It's pathetic that someone trolls a random running forum all day impersonating people who have actually made something of themselves.

And if you know all these elite distance runners so well, and "hang out" with them, then please tell me, what's your name?

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT?

YOU DONT HAVE TO "STUDY" ELITE RUNNING TO KNOW WHO MCDOUGAL IS, CONSIDERING WHAT HES DONE..

THATS JUST SAD IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO HE IS.

AND I DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT, SO YOU SHOULD PROBABLY STOP BEFORE YOU SOUND LIKE EVEN MORE OF AN IDIOT THAN YOU DO NOW, JUS SAYIN.

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

AND IM NOT FRAUDIN, ITS NOT REALLY THAT "HARD" TO MEET "ELITE" RUNNERS.

WE'LL WAIT AND SEE, I WANT TO WAIT TILL I HAVE ONE GOOD SEASON UNDER MY BELT AFTER ALL OF THIS TRAINING

So you don't even run in elite meets, yet somehow you meet elite runners? This is your worst impersonation yet.

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

FIRST OF ALL, YOU DONT HAVE TO RUN IN ELITE MEETS (THOUGH I DONT THINK I SAID I DIDNT BUT WHATEVER WE CAN STOP ON THAT TOPIC)
    SECOND OF ALL, IM TRAINING LIKE CRAZY IN HOPES OF MAKING THAT ****IN NCAA TEAM
    THIRD OF ALL, AGAIN I DONT KNOW WHAT IMPERSONATING YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

HAVE A GOOD DAY

its highly doubtful you will make it.
    sorry to tell u this. Very Happy
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by ButterySmoothStride Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 pm

lol, that article sucks. first of all, we didn't grow up running barefoot. we grew up wearing shoes and therefore we are dependent on shoes. secondly, there is no reason to breath nasally and deprive yourself of oxygen during a race. the only thing I agree with is that aerobic training will produce more long term development than hard intervals, but I think we all know that, and we also all still do intervals to jack up our vo2 before championship races.
    runner4life92
    runner4life92
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 344
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by runner4life92 Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:04 pm

spergel wrote:the article just blew my entire idea of running. i don't know if i believe it though, because the examples in there are so isolated, and it seems like if the article's suggestions were accurate they would be better known. plus the author doesn't really seem to have any credentials.

exactly. first I believed that article & now I'm frustrated cause I don't know what to believe. the breathing is what got me. I'm just gonna keep doing what I always do. not listening to that thing. no offense to the person that found it. I don't think that it's true. aside from what rawbeginner said & maybe the barefoot thing.
    ILOVEBRIE101
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 139
    Location : IN ORDER TO FILL THIS BOX, I HAVE USED EXACTLY ONE HUNDRED LETTERS WHICH IS THE MAXIMUM LOL WUT
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by ILOVEBRIE101 Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

It's pathetic that someone trolls a random running forum all day impersonating people who have actually made something of themselves.

And if you know all these elite distance runners so well, and "hang out" with them, then please tell me, what's your name?

YOU DONT HAVE TO "STUDY" ELITE RUNNING TO KNOW WHO MCDOUGAL IS, CONSIDERING WHAT HES DONE..

AND I DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT, SO YOU SHOULD PROBABLY STOP BEFORE YOU SOUND LIKE EVEN MORE OF AN IDIOT THAN YOU DO NOW, JUS SAYIN.

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

WE'LL WAIT AND SEE, I WANT TO WAIT TILL I HAVE ONE GOOD SEASON UNDER MY BELT AFTER ALL OF THIS TRAINING

So you don't even run in elite meets, yet somehow you meet elite runners? This is your worst impersonation yet.

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

FIRST OF ALL, YOU DONT HAVE TO RUN IN ELITE MEETS (THOUGH I DONT THINK I SAID I DIDNT BUT WHATEVER WE CAN STOP ON THAT TOPIC)

HAVE A GOOD DAY

DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT SINCE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY TRAINING AND HOW MUCH IM TRAINING RIGHT NOW

BUT WHATEVER, WE'LL SEE IN NOVEMBER
    futureNIKErunner
    futureNIKErunner
    Elite
    Elite

Post by futureNIKErunner Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 pm

ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

HAVE A GOOD DAY

DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT SINCE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY TRAINING AND HOW MUCH IM TRAINING RIGHT NOW

lol and you dont know nothing about my training and how much i work my @ss off everyday. so i dont wanna hear nothing bout me not makin it. and i will shut my mouth about u not makin it.
    ILOVEBRIE101
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 139
    Location : IN ORDER TO FILL THIS BOX, I HAVE USED EXACTLY ONE HUNDRED LETTERS WHICH IS THE MAXIMUM LOL WUT
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by ILOVEBRIE101 Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm

futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

HAVE A GOOD DAY

sorry to tell u this. Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 C0fcb165c2fba416c48040fae1a5b091f387f4015582e8d621bd4029a65003cfda18052f92cdcfdd52052bff0a19116

lol and you dont know nothing about my training and how much i work my @ss off everyday. so i dont wanna hear nothing bout me not makin it. and i will shut my mouth about u not makin it.

...I WOULD BET THAT RIGHT NOW I AM PROBABLY DOING MORE THAN DOUBLE THE MILEAGE THAT YOURE DOING RIGHT NOW

AND ITS A LOT, LOT HARDER TO BECOME "PRO" THAN TO RUN AT NCAA. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I HAVE A MUCH HIGHER CHANCE (CONSIDERING MY PRS ARE A LOT BETTER) I DONT THINK YOU REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO GO PRO OR HOW MUCH TALENT IT TAKES

JUS SAYIN.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 pm

What are your PRs then big shot? Also I'm 5 years younger than you so don't critisize my speed.
    futureNIKErunner
    futureNIKErunner
    Elite
    Elite

Post by futureNIKErunner Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 pm

ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

HAVE A GOOD DAY

sorry to tell u this. Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 C0fcb165c2fba416c48040fae1a5b091f387f4015582e8d621bd4029a65003cfda18052f92cdcfdd52052bff0a19116

...I WOULD BET THAT RIGHT NOW I AM PROBABLY DOING MORE THAN DOUBLE THE MILEAGE THAT YOURE DOING RIGHT NOW

AND ITS A LOT, LOT HARDER TO BECOME "PRO" THAN TO RUN AT NCAA. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I HAVE A MUCH HIGHER CHANCE (CONSIDERING MY PRS ARE A LOT BETTER) I DONT THINK YOU REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO GO PRO OR HOW MUCH TALENT IT TAKES

JUS SAYIN.

and you keep talkin about these prs of mine. lets hear them. but u are probably my age and a male. wat a coincidence. so i dont have any exuseses right? lol
    and i doubt u are doing double my mileage.
    u are all talk. but u dont give us prs, how old, your gender. grade anything. Rolling Eyes
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 pm

futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    futureNIKErunner wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ILOVEBRIE101 wrote:

YOU SICKEN ME

THAT'S PATHETIC.

WOW...

AND UMM, U STOCKIN?

...DID I EVER SAY THAT?

HAVE A GOOD DAY

JUS SAYIN.

and you keep talkin about these prs of mine. lets hear them. but u are probably my age and a male. wat a coincidence. so i dont have any exuseses right? lol
    and i doubt u are doing double my mileage.

u are all talk. but u dont give us prs, how old, your gender. grade anything. Rolling Eyes
    You did 32 miles this past week (according to the weekly thread). Anyone trying to get anywhere in college running (let alone NCAAs) would easily be doing at least 64 miles a week right now.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:41 pm

GIANT QUOTE TRAINS FTW
    runnergirl93
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 534
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55

Post by runnergirl93 Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:44 pm

i agree,that is a huge quote train.i have no enthusiasm to read that entire article. maybe later...
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:17 am

runnergirl93 wrote:i agree,that is a huge quote train.i have no enthusiasm to read that entire article. maybe later...

ya, seriously!!!! its super long!! Shocked
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364

Post by BagoXC25 Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 am

I read the whole thing, and I thought it was a good article. I really like all he had to say about Lydiard, because (even though I KNOW he is an amazing coach) he is the kind of coach that is "hidden under the carpet" in the running world.

I completely agree with barefoot running and strengthening the feet in general. In trampoline, foot strength is pretty much the key to stability and we worked our feet A LOT. I think that has been one of the main reasons why I don't get injured.

And I might try nasal breathing, because I have an awful breathing problem whenever I race or do workouts, and it scares me and the people I run with. Kind of sounds like I could die at any moment...but anyways I'll try it and see if it helps.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 am

BagoXC25 wrote:I read the whole thing, and I thought it was a good article. I really like all he had to say about Lydiard, because (even though I KNOW he is an amazing coach) he is the kind of coach that is "hidden under the carpet" in the running world.

I completely agree with barefoot running and strengthening the feet in general. In trampoline, foot strength is pretty much the key to stability and we worked our feet A LOT. I think that has been one of the main reasons why I don't get injured.

And I might try nasal breathing, because I have an awful breathing problem whenever I race or do workouts, and it scares me and the people I run with. Kind of sounds like I could die at any moment...but anyways I'll try it and see if it helps.
    +1, I'm gonna start running barefoot.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:48 am

I tried running a 6 mile tempo today without breathing through my mouth. It didnt work.
    Through_the_Pain
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Mile Time : ???

Post by Through_the_Pain Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:49 am

i naturally breathe through my nose but recently i switched to
    into mouth out through nose
    Through_the_Pain
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Mile Time : ???

Post by Through_the_Pain Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 am

to that dbag ilovebrie
    i dont know him cuz i only recently started watching track.i only had a year of track and so before i had no reason to keep up with elite runners.distance runners dont even show up in the media very often.
    runnergirl93
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 534
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55

Post by runnergirl93 Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 am

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    BagoXC25 wrote:I read the whole thing, and I thought it was a good article. I really like all he had to say about Lydiard, because (even though I KNOW he is an amazing coach) he is the kind of coach that is "hidden under the carpet" in the running world.

a met a guy that never runs with shoes on ever. he'll run marathons or on streets and stuff with out any. i was shocked when i met him, but i guess he doesnt like wearing shoes (obviously)
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 am

Running With Scissors wrote:I tried running a 6 mile tempo today without breathing through my mouth. It didnt work.

Did you even read the article? He said you're going to have to slow down your paces a lot before you get used to it.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 am

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:

This is why this article is fucking trolling. You are going to pull a muscle in your foot, get a stress fracture, or develop some other foot issue if you start running barefoot even 5 miles a week. Don't listen to all his queer rhetoric, he is just prattling on because his son sucks and he doesn't want to think it is because his son just naturally sucks.

Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 Close Read more >> Options >>
    Very interesting article. (More stuff, read it) - Page 2 Answers-logo

BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364

Post by BagoXC25 Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 am

Ok your right, kenyans and ethiopians are wrong. Close the thread I guess...
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:14 pm

BagoXC25 wrote:Ok your right, kenyans and ethiopians are wrong. Close the thread I guess...

Do you not see the difference?

Kenyans and Ethiopians spend their whole live barefoot. They don't decide to start running barefoot a little when they are teenagers, they walk everywhere barefoot, they run barefoot, they have developed the foot strength to do it.

To think you can just start doing that one day for no real reason is ridiculous.

REGARDLESS, there is no reason to think that running barefoot is going to help you at all anyway. People who think running shoes actually increase the chance of injury are just conspiracy theorists. They are a dime a dozen and are just looking to make excuses.

If any of you start running barefoot, you will hurt yourself, bottom line. It won't make you more injury proof, it won't make you faster, it will make you break down and have to take a few weeks off training.

So don't come in here and start condescending about how I must be stupid because some east Africans don't wear shoes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:36 am