Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+10
alex-likes-running
hxc
XC_crazy
BagoXC25
NotChangingUntilSub5
FinishingKick
Pinthin
mae2937
BA_Sadie.
AudienceOfOne
14 posters

Anybody wanna talk faith/religion?

FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Anybody wanna talk faith/religion? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody wanna talk faith/religion?

Post by FinishingKick Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:04 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:Catholic.

I have a feeling I'm about to get flamed.
    i don't agree with tons of stuff that catholic people do. you just made this thread worthy of being in the arguments section.
    Like what, because I don't either depending on what it is.
    LOL. but here's three thing i think about catholics.

1) Jesus never mentioned anything about having a leader like the pope. we don't need one. if it was that important, then it would be included in the bible. and the thing about the pope talking to god is crap. i talk to god everyday.

2) i disagree with the thing like you need a preist or archbiship or whatever to talk to god for you. crap.

3) i do like one thing about catholics, they seem altogether more devoted than other denominations.

4) i don't like how people go so far as to say "no, i'm catholic" when people ask if your christian. GRRRRRRR.

5) tons of little details i disagree with for example, Jesus went to hell to search for Judas.
    Three things? That was five lol. Here are my answers:

1. I like the Pope as a traditional leader, sort of like a figurehead, but still having a say in how the religion is run. I don't like the idea of the Pope being above everyone else, but I think that's sort of Middle Ages.

2. So do I, I don't like having to go to a confession, I don't see why I can't do it myself.

3. I'm not sure about that, I would say every denomination has their share of devouts and Christmas/Easter pew stealers.

4. I don't know of anyone who says that, but I do know a lot of people say Catholic instead of Christian and I would be offended by that if I was a non-Catholic Chrisitian.

5. Not really any way to answer.

I think the modern Catholic church is very much "faith alone" and that the sacraments, such as confession and communion, are held onto for traditional purposes. I think we are still trying to make up for the bad popes in the Middle Ages. I really wish we could all just unite (really the only big differences now are regional traditions, and the beliefs of people who either act like they're a Middle Age Catholic or take the Bible word for word).
    lol i had to add a couple things.

it's nice to see some catholics feel the same way about themselves as i do about them lol. but yea, they need to moderinize the catholic church. the first step would be getting rid of the pope. that would be a biiiiiiig step though.
    What's wrong with a Pope as a figurehead?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Anybody wanna talk faith/religion? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody wanna talk faith/religion?

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

i don't agree with tons of stuff that catholic people do. you just made this thread worthy of being in the arguments section.

1) Jesus never mentioned anything about having a leader like the pope. we don't need one. if it was that important, then it would be included in the bible. and the thing about the pope talking to god is crap. i talk to god everyday.

2) i disagree with the thing like you need a preist or archbiship or whatever to talk to god for you. crap.

3) i do like one thing about catholics, they seem altogether more devoted than other denominations.

4) i don't like how people go so far as to say "no, i'm catholic" when people ask if your christian. GRRRRRRR.

5) tons of little details i disagree with for example, Jesus went to hell to search for Judas.

1. I like the Pope as a traditional leader, sort of like a figurehead, but still having a say in how the religion is run. I don't like the idea of the Pope being above everyone else, but I think that's sort of Middle Ages.

2. So do I, I don't like having to go to a confession, I don't see why I can't do it myself.

3. I'm not sure about that, I would say every denomination has their share of devouts and Christmas/Easter pew stealers.

4. I don't know of anyone who says that, but I do know a lot of people say Catholic instead of Christian and I would be offended by that if I was a non-Catholic Chrisitian.

I think the modern Catholic church is very much "faith alone" and that the sacraments, such as confession and communion, are held onto for traditional purposes. I think we are still trying to make up for the bad popes in the Middle Ages. I really wish we could all just unite (really the only big differences now are regional traditions, and the beliefs of people who either act like they're a Middle Age Catholic or take the Bible word for word).

it's nice to see some catholics feel the same way about themselves as i do about them lol. but yea, they need to moderinize the catholic church. the first step would be getting rid of the pope. that would be a biiiiiiig step though.
    tell me why you think the catholic church needs a figurehead.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:07 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

They can be good leaders, I just don't think they should be considered above the people.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

They can be good leaders, I just don't think they should be considered above the people.
    well if he's a leader, then he would be above the people. i just think that we don't need a pope because out of the 66 books, none of them mentiones anything like a pope.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm

no atheists here?
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BagoXC25 Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Too bad I didn't get to this thread earlier, I am catholic and I might be able to answer some of the questions that are talked about. A lot of people have a big misunderstanding when it comes to catholics. We aren't like a cult (because a lot of people like to call it that...) and we don't hate things like halloween and buddhist lamps haha. But I'll try and give my best answers to some of those questions above, and any you have.
    1. The pope is elected to make educated decisions on the behalf of all catholics/Christians. He isn't above everyone else, he has just proven through a lifetime of devotement to God that he can guide us all to be better Christians. And if I remember right, wasn't St. Peter the first pope back in the day? I am pretty sure that is in the bible.

2. We don't need a priest to talk to god for us, he is there to help us practice our faith in a way that best glorifies God. We can all talk to God.

3. Thank you : )

4. I say I'm just catholic, but that doesn't mean I'm not a christian, that just doesn't make any sense lol.

5. I am not familiar with that story...But some things you just have to have faith in and not doubt God or Jesus.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 pm

BagoXC25 wrote:Too bad I didn't get to this thread earlier, I am catholic and I might be able to answer some of the questions that are talked about. A lot of people have a big misunderstanding when it comes to catholics. We aren't like a cult (because a lot of people like to call it that...) and we don't hate things like halloween and buddhist lamps haha. But I'll try and give my best answers to some of those questions above, and any you have.
    1. The pope is elected to make educated decisions on the behalf of all catholics/Christians. He isn't above everyone else, he has just proven through a lifetime of devotement to God that he can guide us all to be better Christians. And if I remember right, wasn't St. Peter the first pope back in the day? I am pretty sure that is in the bible.

2. We don't need a priest to talk to god for us, he is there to help us practice our faith in a way that best glorifies God. We can all talk to God.

4. I say I'm just catholic, but that doesn't mean I'm not a christian, that just doesn't make any sense lol.

5. I am not familiar with that story...But some things you just have to have faith in and not doubt God or Jesus.

1. if your talking about the person who wrote the book peter, then yes. but the bible didn't say anything about popes, and if they are really neccessary, it would have.

2. what about confessionals?

3. your welcome lol

4. when methodists/protestants are asked what they are, they would usually say christian. catholics say they are catholic. i have a problem with that.

5. i agree. it's all in the book, we don't need man to tell us what's what.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:43 pm

BagoXC25 wrote:Too bad I didn't get to this thread earlier, I am catholic and I might be able to answer some of the questions that are talked about. A lot of people have a big misunderstanding when it comes to catholics. We aren't like a cult (because a lot of people like to call it that...) and we don't hate things like halloween and buddhist lamps haha. But I'll try and give my best answers to some of those questions above, and any you have.

good posting
    XC_crazy
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 820
    Mile Time : 5:44
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:32
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Post by XC_crazy Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm

i'm catholic too
    and i think the other 2 already answered your questions better then i could but i have a couple things to add

i really hate confessionals. i've only gone to confession twice when i made my first communion and before my confirmation

i think the whole point of a pope is to just have someone who will keep all the catholic churches together as in having the same traditions and such
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Catholic. The thing about Jesus searching for Judas in hell...I've never heard that...weird.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:Catholic. The thing about Jesus searching for Judas in hell...I've never heard that...weird.
    that's in your affirmation of faith...lol, you should know that better than me.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I was taught that the pope is pretty much the connection between us and god. If all of Christianity fell apart, if one person still believes, then god is with us. Or something like that.I haven't been to a regular religion class in forever. Now I go to some stupid thing where we don't even talk about god. We spend most of the time playing games that have absolutely nothing to with god. But there is the occasional speech about being nice to the kid nobody likes. I hate when teachers and stuff say that. Obviously nobody likes that person for a reason.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 pm

XC_crazy wrote:i'm catholic too
    and i think the other 2 already answered your questions better then i could but i have a couple things to add

i really hate confessionals. i've only gone to confession twice when i made my first communion and before my confirmation

i think the whole point of a pope is to just have someone who will keep all the catholic churches together as in having the same traditions and such
    yea, i guess i can see that.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:I was taught that the pope is pretty much the connection between us and god. If all of Christianity fell apart, if one person still believes, then god is with us. Or something like that.I haven't been to a regular religion class in forever. Now I go to some stupid thing where we don't even talk about god. We spend most of the time playing games that have absolutely nothing to with god. But there is the occasional speech about being nice to the kid nobody likes. I hate when teachers and stuff say that. Obviously nobody likes that person for a reason.
    This is the reason people see us as hypocrites.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 pm

you stole the words out of my mouth miler.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:12 pm

heres what i kinda think...but, im not sure my thoughts are always changing lol.
    i sort of think that maybe the story wasn't literally true but, a representation to show that god will keep his promises like a parabole. but, who knows i might be making this all up. lol just my two cents.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 pm

runforlifex3 wrote:heres what i kinda think...but, im not sure my thoughts are always changing lol.
    i sort of think that maybe the story wasn't literally true but, a representation to show that god will keep his promises like a parabole. but, who knows i might be making this all up. lol just my two cents.
    idk, i mean Jesus did speak in parables.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:14 pm

yeahh. but, i don't think that it really matters if its word for word true as long as we know the general message "god keeps his promises"
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 pm

runforlifex3 wrote:yeahh. but, i don't think that it really matters if its word for word true as long as we know the general message "god keeps his promises"
    i still don't buy it.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 pm

haha yeah i guess school does come in handy...
    you mean you think it happened word for word. i mean i just don't know but, i don't think it matters because, i still learned the lesson at the end of the day.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:21 pm

runforlifex3 wrote:haha yeah i guess school does come in handy...
    you mean you think it happened word for word. i mean i just don't know but, i don't think it matters because, i still learned the lesson at the end of the day.
    yea, i don't believe that God would tell us what happened without it being true. it says the bible is God-breathed. He wouldn't tell us a parable without SAYING it's a parable.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:21 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    runforlifex3 wrote:haha yeah i guess school does come in handy...
    yea, i don't believe that God would tell us what happened without it being true. it says the bible is God-breathed. He wouldn't tell us a parable without SAYING it's a parable.

yeah i get your drift.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus

this mentions none of what you just said. are you full of crap?
    mae2937
    mae2937
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1125
    Registration date : 2008-06-04

Post by mae2937 Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 pm

runforlifex3 wrote:
    mae2937 wrote:
    runforlifex3 wrote:
    mae2937 wrote:im presbyterian
    what grade are you in will you be going to triennium in 2011?

ill be a junior

oh so did you go last year?

no
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

mae2937 wrote:
    runforlifex3 wrote:
    mae2937 wrote:
    runforlifex3 wrote:
    mae2937 wrote:im presbyterian
    what grade are you in will you be going to triennium in 2011?

ill be a junior

oh so did you go last year?

no
    what is triennium?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:25 am