Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+14
runner_dude
Just Because
Pinthin
CT Track
BA_Sadie.
Adonai
Wgrt
alex-likes-running
FinishingKick
AudienceOfOne
XCTrackXC
running_violet
Running With Scissors
Phuckduck
18 posters

Audience got butthurt

alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Audience got butthurt - Page 3 Empty Re: Audience got butthurt

Post by alex-likes-running Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:06 am

just curious, but wut do athiests think about the part of the pledge of allegience that goes "...one nation under God..."? like do they skip that part when they say the pledge?
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:23 am

alex-likes-running wrote:just curious, but wut do athiests think about the part of the pledge of allegience that goes "...one nation under God..."? like do they skip that part when they say the pledge?

i still say it, america was founded as a christian nation despite what people may think. what is the point in arguing with the pledge of allegiance ya know.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:28 am

Hey moron, there's nothing that can't ultimately be explained by science. What do you think science is, some kind of ideology? Science at its root is simply accumulated knowledge of known principles of the natural world. Science explains the physical world; you can make up whatever kind of fantasy worlds you want, but don't act like scientists are the overzealous nut-jobs and not you.
    thelagwagon
    thelagwagon
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by thelagwagon Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 am

AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    alex-likes-running wrote:just curious, but wut do athiests think about the part of the pledge of allegience that goes "...one nation under God..."? like do they skip that part when they say the pledge?

i still say it, america was founded as a christian nation despite what people may think. what is the point in arguing with the pledge of allegiance ya know.

The word's 'under god' were actually added in the mid 1950's after lobbying from a catholic organization. I'm sure your founding fathers would turn in their graves if they ever found out!

And Alex, in NZ we don't have a 'pledge of allegiance', but we have some oaths which are used on occasions, such as when new members of parliament are sworn in, at citizenship ceremonies for immigrants. But there are two versions, one you have to swear allegiance to God, the Queen and the Flag, and the other version you just swear allegiance to the Flag. We never say it in schools, thankfully, I'd never pledge allegiance to any country, let alone the Queen and God.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Red R1der wrote:Okay I just skimmed through the entire topic. I'm so glad I didn't check that worthless post as it developed day by day.
    Atleast I know I did something right if I made the 3 main ignorant atheists angry.

quite ironic that you call us ignorant when you believe that a man in the sky created everything you see today in 6 days

And you believe nothing can exist beyond what we can see.

By the way, you spelled "audience" wrong. wink

well, i believe wind exists, i can't see it. and i believe there are probably millions of earth like planets because it is just inevitable. but again i cannot see them. but anything beyond perception that violates science doesn't exist.

andd are you serious about now?
    You know what I meant. You think anything that science can't prove can't be real, which isn't true.

except it is true...i don't get what you mean by asserting that because i cant prove it, means it exists. then by that logic, invisible pink unicorns could very well be running around inside my house and i would never know it?

so i am guessing that if i were to ask you about Vishnu, you would say that he does not exist, and is only a figment of people's imaginations?
    Actually that's only by your perception. When atoms weren't discovered it didn't mean they weren't real, we just hadn't proved their existence yet.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 pm

hahahaa

everything turns into science.. its quite annoying. Neutral
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Love For Running Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I say the pledge in Spanish everyday since I'm in AP Spanish that period =]
    haha
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm

thelagwagon wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:

The word's 'under god' were actually added in the mid 1950's after lobbying from a catholic organization. I'm sure your founding fathers would turn in their graves if they ever found out!

And Alex, in NZ we don't have a 'pledge of allegiance', but we have some oaths which are used on occasions, such as when new members of parliament are sworn in, at citizenship ceremonies for immigrants. But there are two versions, one you have to swear allegiance to God, the Queen and the Flag, and the other version you just swear allegiance to the Flag. We never say it in schools, thankfully, I'd never pledge allegiance to any country, let alone the Queen and God.

That's interesting, we still have to pledge to the Queen, I'm not sure about God though. Do you guys still have a Governor General?

God is in our national anthem twice in English, (the french version came first): "True patriot love/ In all thy Son's command" and "God keep our land / Glorious and free". Personally, I like the french version better, it's a lot more patriotic.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BA_Sadie. Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

runner_dude wrote:
    thelagwagon wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:

That's interesting, we still have to pledge to the Queen, I'm not sure about God though. Do you guys still have a Governor General?

God is in our national anthem twice in English, (the french version came first): "True patriot love/ In all thy Son's command" and "God keep our land / Glorious and free". Personally, I like the french version better, it's a lot more patriotic.

i never knew that second part laggy..how interesting.
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by XCTrackXC Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Pinthin wrote:hahahaa

everything turns into science.. its quite annoying. Neutral
    science, religion, homosexuality, drugs, or abortion basically.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:08 pm

BA_Sadie. wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    thelagwagon wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:

i never knew that second part laggy..how interesting.

wow we don't even pledge to the queen here lol
    we should though so many immigrants hardly any feeling of nationality
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Adonai wrote:Hey moron, there's nothing that can't ultimately be explained by science. What do you think science is, some kind of ideology? Science at its root is simply accumulated knowledge of known principles of the natural world. Science explains the physical world; you can make up whatever kind of fantasy worlds you want, but don't act like scientists are the overzealous nut-jobs and not you.

And I'm saying science hasn't advanced far enough yet to where you can say we have, or can, figure everything out yet.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:16 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Red R1der wrote:Okay I just skimmed through the entire topic. I'm so glad I didn't check that worthless post as it developed day by day.
    Atleast I know I did something right if I made the 3 main ignorant atheists angry.

quite ironic that you call us ignorant when you believe that a man in the sky created everything you see today in 6 days

And you believe nothing can exist beyond what we can see.

By the way, you spelled "audience" wrong. wink

well, i believe wind exists, i can't see it. and i believe there are probably millions of earth like planets because it is just inevitable. but again i cannot see them. but anything beyond perception that violates science doesn't exist.

andd are you serious about now?
    You know what I meant. You think anything that science can't prove can't be real, which isn't true.

except it is true...i don't get what you mean by asserting that because i cant prove it, means it exists. then by that logic, invisible pink unicorns could very well be running around inside my house and i would never know it?

so i am guessing that if i were to ask you about Vishnu, you would say that he does not exist, and is only a figment of people's imaginations?
    Actually that's only by your perception. When atoms weren't discovered it didn't mean they weren't real, we just hadn't proved their existence yet.
    Exactly.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 pm

thelagwagon wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:

No, probably not. There are references to God in the Constitution/Bill of Rights/Decalaration of Independence to God. And I'm pretty sure most historians consider most of the founding fathers to have believed in a God.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 pm

A question to the atheists, and people who believe in the big bang theory: You say the universe was formed when a ball of energy/mass, whatever, exploded and created the universe, right? Where did that ball come from?

(btw, I'm not really even trying to argue here, just want to know what you think.)
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Old question, can't be answered. In order to prove the big bang theory correct, one would have to go back in time to witness it occur. In order to prove god's existence, one would have to go forward in time to their death. They seem pretty similar to me.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm

The constitution/bill of rights does not mention God or Christianity at all. The closest thing you have to religion in there is the first amendment.

I'd also like to point out that I have never heard of the "Declaration of Independence to God" and I'd be happy to read it if you show me a copy.

Onto my last point, the founding fathers might have believed in a God. That is spectacular. However, they were the ones who believed in separation of Church and State. I wonder what you got in U.S. History, because I got a A in high school and a B in college.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:A question to the atheists, and people who believe in the big bang theory: You say the universe was formed when a ball of energy/mass, whatever, exploded and created the universe, right? Where did that ball come from?

(btw, I'm not really even trying to argue here, just want to know what you think.)

I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to the big bang theory, however I am very skeptical to the reasoning that a "God" can be eternally existent, but the universe can't.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:32 pm

CT Track wrote:The constitution/bill of rights does not mention God or Christianity at all. The closest thing you have to religion in there is the first amendment.

I'd also like to point out that I have never heard of the "Declaration of Independence to God" and I'd be happy to read it if you show me a copy.

Onto my last point, the founding fathers might have believed in a God. That is spectacular. However, they were the ones who believed in separation of Church and State. I wonder what you got in U.S. History, because I got a A in high school and a B in college.
    In the bill of rights doesn't it say something like "all men are equal under God" or something? I'm pretty sure that's either in the bill of rights or declaration.

And who doesn't believe in separation of church and state? No one want what happened in Great Britain with their church. That's why that law was made.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Yes, it was in the Declaration of Independence. Something that has nothing to do with our government. Also might I add that it was written by one of the biggest hypocrites in American history. Thomas Jefferson supported separation of church and state, yet still advocated his own religious ideas upon everyone. The same man that also supported abolishing slavery and believed every man was equal. At the same time he was one of the wealthiest slave owners of his time. A true American hero.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:44 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:A question to the atheists, and people who believe in the big bang theory: You say the universe was formed when a ball of energy/mass, whatever, exploded and created the universe, right? Where did that ball come from?

I believe it is most likely a recycled version of what there was before
    The big bang was more like a big bounce
    The matter that makes it has been there for ever as time came hand in hand with matter

and still with you god, do you believe he made everything out of nothing? if so I'm guessing you don't believe energy can't be created or destroyed?
    also im not trying to argue
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 pm

CT Track wrote:Yes, it was in the Declaration of Independence. Something that has nothing to do with our government. Also might I add that it was written by one of the biggest hypocrites in American history. Thomas Jefferson supported separation of church and state, yet still advocated his own religious ideas upon everyone. The same man that also supported abolishing slavery and believed every man was equal. At the same time he was one of the wealthiest slave owners of his time. A true American hero.
    Nothing to do with our government? Our government wouldn't exist if hadn't declared our independence.

Why can't you support separation of church and state and yet share you beliefs? Those do not contradict eachother, i can support government not being influenced by the church while i agree with the church.

But i agree with the slavery part. Not that it's an excuse but every one of the people back then owned slaves if they could afford them, didn't they?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Wgrt wrote:

I believe it is most likely a recycled version of what there was before
    The big bang was more like a big bounce
    The matter that makes it has been there for ever as time came hand in hand with matter

and still with you god, do you believe he made everything out of nothing? if so I'm guessing you don't believe energy can't be created or destroyed?
    also im not trying to argue
    I believe He made everything out of nothing, and I do believe energy cannot be created or destroyed. With that idea that energy cannot be created or destroyed is the idea that it can only be tranfed in one form to another. That is a cycle, and cycles had to start somewhere.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Sure you can support it, but if you forget. Thomas Jefferson was actually a part of the government. Shocker I know. You can't be a supporter of separation of church and state and be as contradictory as him.

And obviously our government wouldn't exist without the Declaration of Independence. Hey look at this too, our government might not exist if the Magna Carta wasn't made either. Does that still make it a direct correlation to the creation of our republic? Either way, as I said Thomas Jefferson was a hypocrite and just because he made the Declaration of Independence that way, does not mean the founding fathers would be proud of catholic lobbyists being douchebags.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 pm

CT Track wrote:Sure you can support it, but if you forget. Thomas Jefferson was actually a part of the government. Shocker I know. You can't be a supporter of separation of church and state and be as contradictory as him.

And obviously our government wouldn't exist without the Declaration of Independence. Hey look at this too, our government might not exist if the Magna Carta wasn't made either. Does that still make it a direct correlation to the creation of our republic? Either way, as I said Thomas Jefferson was a hypocrite and just because he made the Declaration of Independence that way, does not mean the founding fathers would be proud of catholic lobbyists being douchebags.

But the separation of church and state is about the government not being influenced by the church, so what is wrong with a government leader sharing his beliefs?

and when was the actual pledge of allegiance(sp?) made? and can somebody give a link on the catholic lobbyist thing? i've never heard that before.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am