Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+8
baby got track
runner_dude
Hurdle-Gurl
Running With Scissors
AudienceOfOne
FinishingKick
hxc
hannah
12 posters

life is unfair

hannah
    hannah
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-07-11

life is unfair Empty life is unfair

Post by hannah Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 pm

i was wondering why some teams are so good. is it because they have a really good coach who gives them good workouts and high mileage and motivates them, or because the team manages to attract a lot of really good runners? (ie if i was at a nationally ranked school would i be faster lol)
    to be really philosophical, do the runners make the team, or does the team make the runner?

anyway, i was just curious what people thought.
    sorry if this is a noob question Shocked
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

life is unfair Empty Re: life is unfair

Post by hxc Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:09 pm

hannah wrote:i was wondering why some teams are so good. is it because they have a really good coach who gives them good workouts and high mileage and motivates them, or because the team manages to attract a lot of really good runners? (ie if i was at a nationally ranked school would i be faster lol)
    to be really philosophical, do the runners make the team, or does the team make the runner?

The team definitely makes the runner. Look at FK's team, it's not like some of the most talented runners in the country just happen to go there.

With most legit teams, you'll almost always see them running together. So I think the coach doesn't make the team as much as the team itself does.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:27 pm

HXC_ wrote:
    hannah wrote:i was wondering why some teams are so good. is it because they have a really good coach who gives them good workouts and high mileage and motivates them, or because the team manages to attract a lot of really good runners? (ie if i was at a nationally ranked school would i be faster lol)

The team definitely makes the runner. Look at FK's team, it's not like some of the most talented runners in the country just happen to go there.

With most legit teams, you'll almost always see them running together. So I think the coach doesn't make the team as much as the team itself does.
    I think for one there's just a lot of talent in this section. Look at the girl's side: Burnt Hills, Saratoga, Queensbury, and Shen all nationally ranked. Then there's Saratoga who won the boys NC and Shen who's been up there a few times on the boy's side. My school is simply the biggest school in a talented region. If you think about it some schools are always going to be better than others talent-wise, there's no way with the thousands of high schools we have in the country that they could all be on the exact same level.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:50 pm

You just need 10 guys that are skinny and want to be the fastest they can be. The good teams have 7 or more of the guys. The ok teams have 2 or 3 of those guys. The bad teams have 1 or none of those type of guys.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 am

I think the team makes the runner. Since I started running I was picking people that I had to beat in practice. As I got faster I kept pick new and faster people until I was the fastest. Since that time I haven't gotten faster.
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 632
    Class : ~2011~Sophomore!
    5000m XC Time : 21:00
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:12 am

I personnally think that it's the runners that make the team. If you get a good group that wants to do well and is willing to work hard, there's no stopping them. It has to come within a runner, and from there, within the team for them to get the desire to succeed.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Hurdle-Gurl wrote:I personnally think that it's the runners that make the team. If you get a good group that wants to do well and is willing to work hard, there's no stopping them. It has to come within a runner, and from there, within the team for them to get the desire to succeed.
    http://tullyrunners.com/Articles/ArgyleBreakup.htm
    http://tullyrunners.com/Articles/NewBlood.htm (go down about 3/4 of the page to the part about 7th graders)
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:18 pm

You need both. Even the most dedicated group needs a good coach to take them to the top level. Conversely, the best coach in the world couldn't win shit if his runners were all lazy, untalented people.
    baby got track
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2211
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by baby got track Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Team makes the runners.

A good runner or two can only take a group of people so far, but six people can take one runner very far. If that makes sense.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

runner_dude wrote:You need both. Even the most dedicated group needs a good coach to take them to the top level. Conversely, the best coach in the world couldn't win shit if his runners were all lazy, untalented people.
    I agree. A good coach, a talented pool (and even better, a talented group that comes out), and runners who want to win are the keys to success in high school.
    PCNQtrack
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1663
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by PCNQtrack Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm

It's really all about atmosphere

My freshman year i did not run xc, we had a very talented team however that failed going to state running an average of like 18:38 at the regional course

Track came around and there wasn't a team atmosphere and we didn't enjoy a lot of success.

Me and a fellow freshman (who had run 19:30 in XC) joined a summer track club, he ended up running a 2:05 800 and I broke 5 for the mile. We started training seriously for the upcoming XC season. Also, the upperclassmen did their first summer training ever.

XC time trials came around. Me and fellow sophmore go 3 and 4 in the scrimmage he ran 17:24 I was 17:36. We were 1 and two on our team. Team wins first meet in 8 years. Everyone knows we have something special going and train like no team has before, as a team with a goal. Regionals comes and our top five average 17:3x and we qualify the first team at our school ever.

four of the top seven was seniors. #3 was a junior. 1+2 were soph. only the sophmores and #4 senior are going to run track :/ others don't want to train...they reached their goals
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    Hurdle-Gurl wrote:I personnally think that it's the runners that make the team. If you get a good group that wants to do well and is willing to work hard, there's no stopping them. It has to come within a runner, and from there, within the team for them to get the desire to succeed.
    http://tullyrunners.com/Articles/NewBlood.htm (go down about 3/4 of the page to the part about 7th graders)

What's your point?
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

What's your point?
    You said there was no stopping dedicated runners, so I pointed out an example that disproves your point.
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

What's your point?
    You said there was no stopping dedicated runners, so I pointed out an example that disproves your point.

Oh! Well I was just saying it like if you have a team of runners that are willing to give it their all, there will be success. But thanks for trying to prove me wrong. Rolling Eyes
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

What's your point?

Oh! Well I was just saying it like if you have a team of runners that are willing to give it their all, there will be success. But thanks for trying to prove me wrong. Rolling Eyes
    It's not like I was trying to prove you wrong. When I read your post I immediately thought of that article.
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:16 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:
    Hurdle-Gurl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

What's your point?

It's not like I was trying to prove you wrong. When I read your post I immediately thought of that article.

oh ok...sorry. =)
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:01 pm

once a team does work to get good they attract good runners..cvca girls team for example recruits and everyone knows but their good so its not like they can even help it if i was like state champ or something i wouldn't run in my crappy dying program i would transfer to a school with a good running program.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 pm

so once their good then they usually stay good for a while because of the attraction..
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:21 pm

BA_Sadie. wrote:once a team does work to get good they attract good runners..cvca girls team for example recruits and everyone knows but their good so its not like they can even help it if i was like state champ or something i wouldn't run in my crappy dying program i would transfer to a school with a good running program.
    I personally have never heard of "cvca." Everyone says we recruit but it's not true.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 pm

BA_Sadie. wrote:once a team does work to get good they attract good runners..cvca girls team for example recruits and everyone knows but their good so its not like they can even help it if i was like state champ or something i wouldn't run in my crappy dying program i would transfer to a school with a good running program.
    i didn't know cvca recruited? isn't that against OHSAA regulations.
    PCNQtrack
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1663
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59

Post by PCNQtrack Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:48 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    I personally have never heard of "cvca." Everyone says we recruit but it's not true.
    maybe not recruit but appeal to good runners
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    i didn't know cvca recruited? isn't that against OHSAA regulations.
    yeppp.
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 am

ya, i think the team def. makes up the runner. When you are surrounded by people who continually life you up and encourage you, and when you have coaches that really care about you then it gives you something to work for. like my old coach, he never expected anything out of the ordinary from us, but when we didnt win league finals (after being champs for the girs 2 yrs. in a row) we werer upset in ourselves for letting him down..even though he never held us up to it.
    sorry..that was kinda long, and im not sure if it made sense.. Razz
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 am

It's obviously a mix between the coach and the athletes, but school size makes a huge difference. The best schools in Connecticut are all big schools. There are some smaller schools that are good, but the best is Danbury. Danbury, being probably the biggest school in the state has kids from everywhere to bring in athletes. Also bigger schools tend to have bigger budgets. Danbury has state of the art facilities and access to pools and aqua jogging areas and a very good track.

To bring a different perspective on the same example, the coach means a lot more than the athlete. There can be a lot of talent at a school, but some kids won't even go out for the team if the coach isn't respected or credible. If a coach can get his athletes to believe and provide the best training possible it goes a long way. When coaches basically tell you to go out and run, results pretty much depend on the kids. But when a coach can get you to do all the little things right, the athletes have to spend less time stressing the big things and can focus on a few main goals.
    hannah
    hannah
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-07-11

Post by hannah Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:09 pm

okay. thank you guys for all of the responses Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content