Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+9
Pinthin
BagoXC25
RUNxxWILD07
Running With Scissors
FinishingKick
runner_dude
eternally_running
hxc
*sg*
13 posters

Getting Slow

*sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 358
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Getting Slow Empty Getting Slow

Post by *sg* Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Soooo despite all that hard work I did this summer, I think I've gotten slower. Like, a lot slower. At practice on Monday I couldn't keep up with the people I have run with since freshman year. I just couldn't move my legs faster. They were sooo heavy. And then in Tuesday we did a fartlek: 6X2min then 6X1min. and I couln't keep up either. Actually, I didn't even finish. I got up to the first minute repeat when we were passing the place we stop... they were going to keep going and then come back, but I couldn't. And I mean I really really couldn't. I could barely even walk jog at this point. Luckily today we just did an easy recovery run so I was ok. But tomorrow we're doing a 2mile time trial. So I'm really worried. So, I am really jealous of everyone who has good genetics and will always be fast no matter how hard they work. Because I did a lot of running... look at the dailies over the summer if you want. But I"m not fast. At all. And no, I haven't burned out...and no, I didn't peak over the summer.

So yeah, sorry, I just felt the need to rant. Because none of my friends understand because they have either always been fast, or always been slow. So my slow friends don't understand why I'm so bothered by this, because they don't really care about running that much. They just do it for sociability.

But anyway, that was too long. And I probably won't post on here very often anymore because school has started and I have a lot of homework from 3 AP, 3 honors classes+XC+Job.

sooo...Bye!
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Getting Slow Empty Re: Getting Slow

Post by hxc Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Lastly, a warning for those who pile up a lot of mileage during the summer. More often than not, young kids would get ambitious and run a lot during the summer. They step out on the first cross country workout when the season starts and they just cannot keep up with other guys on the team. More often than not, they’ll get discouraged and give up on this type of program. You have just logged tons of miles and your body is not sharp. It would take a few weeks to adjust your system. Don’t struggle to keep up or run faster than you should. Remember how Lagat was getting beaten in the early season but he was the sharpest when it counted (at Osaka)? It takes 3 or 4 or 5 weeks to get your speed back and sharpen up. The important thing is; you need to sit down and map it all up so you’ll reach your peak when it counts. You may get beaten in the early season by those who had been doing faster work without building up the base. Invariably those who didn’t work on the base will start to nose-dive (because they lack aerobic foundation) when you come to the peak. So have faith.

-Nobby Hashizumi, Lydiard expert, founder of the Lydiard Foundation
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:56 pm

awww....im sorry.
    i dont really know what to tell you, but im sure that you will improve as the season progresses. Its still the begining. I dont feel as fast as i want to be yet, and i ran a lot over the summer also......you'll get better Very Happy
    good luck happy
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman

Post by runner_dude Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm

I shot my woman down because she made me slow.

Just saying.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:48 pm

No need to post after HXC.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

FinishingKick wrote:No need to post after HXC.

+1, but there was definitely need for RD's post.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Class : University Freshman

Post by runner_dude Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:56 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:No need to post after HXC.

+1, but there was definitely need for RD's post.

Thank you.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by Running With Scissors Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 am

Good posting HXC
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Post by *sg* Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah, thanks!!! That made me feel better!
    RUNxxWILD07
    RUNxxWILD07
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 995
    Registration date : 2008-06-18

Post by RUNxxWILD07 Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 pm

that made me feel better too, i was feeling the same way as you.
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BagoXC25 Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:33 am

I was in kind of the same boat as you, except the only difference was that I know how I need to feel after summer base and I wasn't worried. We did our first really tough workout at camp this weekend and I got crushed. But comparing it to the leadups I did, I made huge improvements and those improvements will continue to build up until my final race of the season that I am peaking for.

And also, it was only one workout. Anything can happen at the time trial so don't worry about it, just have fun and run your hardest. GL.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 am

how did your trial go?? just out of curiosity.
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Post by *sg* Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

eehhh it was ok... my time wasn't too good...14:22. But I was # 7 so for the moment I am hanging on to varsity. And actually I felt like I had a lot left at the end... like I should have gone faster, or I could have kept going at that pace. And I think I would have been 6th if I had started kicking earlier because I was really close to the girl in front of me but I started picking it up too late. So, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... and it didn't feel as bad either, so that's really important motivationally for me.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Just keep the head up, you shouldn't be looking for any amazing times in the early season. Just look for steady improvement.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Also your body could be going into a slump. Sometimes it just feels really tight and stressed and you just don't feel like you're in shape at all. My xc season didn't start off too hot the first week, but once I got into the swing of things and got really good recovery runs in it all started to ease in and I was back with the pack.
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 627

Post by funrunner Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 pm

*sg* wrote:eehhh it was ok... my time wasn't too good...14:22. But I was # 7 so for the moment I am hanging on to varsity. And actually I felt like I had a lot left at the end... like I should have gone faster, or I could have kept going at that pace. And I think I would have been 6th if I had started kicking earlier because I was really close to the girl in front of me but I started picking it up too late. So, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... and it didn't feel as bad either, so that's really important motivationally for me.

I ran a 2-mile time trial before track and ran about 14 minutes. Don't fret, you'll be fast when it counts.
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 627

Post by funrunner Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    Lastly, a warning for those who pile up a lot of mileage during the summer. More often than not, young kids would get ambitious and run a lot during the summer. They step out on the first cross country workout when the season starts and they just cannot keep up with other guys on the team. More often than not, they’ll get discouraged and give up on this type of program. You have just logged tons of miles and your body is not sharp. It would take a few weeks to adjust your system. Don’t struggle to keep up or run faster than you should. Remember how Lagat was getting beaten in the early season but he was the sharpest when it counted (at Osaka)? It takes 3 or 4 or 5 weeks to get your speed back and sharpen up. The important thing is; you need to sit down and map it all up so you’ll reach your peak when it counts. You may get beaten in the early season by those who had been doing faster work without building up the base. Invariably those who didn’t work on the base will start to nose-dive (because they lack aerobic foundation) when you come to the peak. So have faith.

-Nobby Hashizumi, Lydiard expert, founder of the Lydiard Foundation

I think that's exactly what I needed to hear.
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Love For Running Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:48 pm

I am having the SAME issue!!! I did not pile on the milage this summer quite as much (ran over 500 miles last year, about 420 this summer) and our team began doing body circuits to improve strength, and i did begin feeling a lot stronger. But i just ran my first meet about 50 seconds slower than the first meet last year! (1 minute 40 seconds off my PR) I have been feeling just exhausted lately (3 weeks into school) so my coaches told me to take Wednesday, and Thursday off, after my body died after 1 400 at practice on Tuesday. I went to the doctor and got bloods tests (mainly bc my boyfriend had mono) and I don't have low iron, and they don't think I have mono (haven't gotten the actual results yet but I have no symptoms except tiredness) I ran 25 minutes easy yesterday, and then a terrible race today. I don't understand whats wrong, is there something wrong with my body? Or is it completely mental? I just wish I knew....
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by Just Because Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:22 pm

if you weren't doing any speedwork then you can't expect yourself to run fast. Now that you are doing it you will have the speed to reach that pace and be able to hold it because of the base you did over the summer.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Love For Running wrote:I am having the SAME issue!!! I did not pile on the milage this summer quite as much (ran over 500 miles last year, about 420 this summer) and our team began doing body circuits to improve strength, and i did begin feeling a lot stronger. But i just ran my first meet about 50 seconds slower than the first meet last year! (1 minute 40 seconds off my PR) I have been feeling just exhausted lately (3 weeks into school) so my coaches told me to take Wednesday, and Thursday off, after my body died after 1 400 at practice on Tuesday. I went to the doctor and got bloods tests (mainly bc my boyfriend had mono) and I don't have low iron, and they don't think I have mono (haven't gotten the actual results yet but I have no symptoms except tiredness) I ran 25 minutes easy yesterday, and then a terrible race today. I don't understand whats wrong, is there something wrong with my body? Or is it completely mental? I just wish I knew....

I had the exact same problem at the beginning of the summer. My easy runs went from like 8 minute pace to almost 10 minute pace. It just gradually got better though as I piled on the miles.
    Try getting more sleep and eating healthier (try all natural foods for a couple weeks and see how your body feels)
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Love For Running Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Ive been getting about 8-8 1/2 hours of sleep for the past three weeks (summer i got 6 1/2) and i've been eating more healthy cutting out sweets and adding more fruits and veggies
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:10 pm

^ lol, ya im working on that too. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content