Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+28
JK Runs
Adonai
Wgrt
T B K
ND XC 23
Just Because
Butch Cassidy
P2
Triathlete
funrunner
hxc
eternally_running
ButterySmoothStride
whenhen
xc_babe09
CT Track
PCNQtrack
Running With Scissors
BA_Sadie.
BagoXC25
NotChangingUntilSub5
FinishingKick
5280ft
AudienceOfOne
xotrackkgirl
Pinthin
alex-likes-running
Phuckduck
32 posters

Where Did God Go?????

Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Where Did God Go????? - Page 16 Empty Re: Where Did God Go?????

Post by Phuckduck Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:56 pm

JK Runs wrote:The fact is Christians can't prove that god exsists but Athesists can't prove that god didn't exsist.

we can prove that there is absolutely no need for the existance of a god
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:01 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    SourWorms wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:They are a fact to me. Don't tell me they're not. And this is an argument, and I'm just arguing and defending what i believe and what i said.

just because you believe it does not make it fact. i can believe all i want that i am a turkey but we all know that is not a fact.

But it would make it a fact to you, wouldn't it?

yeah but that does not make it true. real world example. there are people out there who believe that they are actually jedi's. they believe this to be fact but we all know it is not. therefore it is not a fact no matter what they believe. the same thing can be said of a god construction
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by alex-likes-running Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:33 am

im gonna be a jedi for halloween.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:52 am

Starwars1
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:21 pm

SourWorms wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    SourWorms wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:They are a fact to me. Don't tell me they're not. And this is an argument, and I'm just arguing and defending what i believe and what i said.

just because you believe it does not make it fact. i can believe all i want that i am a turkey but we all know that is not a fact.

But it would make it a fact to you, wouldn't it?

yeah but that does not make it true. real world example. there are people out there who believe that they are actually jedi's. they believe this to be fact but we all know it is not. therefore it is not a fact no matter what they believe. the same thing can be said of a god construction
    I didn't say it would make it true. I said it would make it a fact to you.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:22 pm

SourWorms wrote:
    JK Runs wrote:The fact is Christians can't prove that god exsists but Athesists can't prove that god didn't exsist.

Try. I need a good laugh.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    SourWorms wrote:

name something that cant be attributed to science
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm

to adonai, even though I am a firm atheist, there are sadly plenty of things that science as of yet can not completely answer, explain to me the gravity of black holes or how particles get mass. How did the man who designed the periodic table just come across it as a vision in dreams. They are just a couple but you can't say science has all the answers
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:45 pm

SourWorms wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    SourWorms wrote:

name something that cant be attributed to science
    i suck when it comes to science. i admit it. when tracko and sPine had their little argument, i had no idea what they were talking about for the most part.

but Wgrt is right, science can't solve everything.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Science can solve everything. Man can not or just simply hasn't yet. The battle has been going on since the enlightenment. We discover new things everyday.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Wgrt wrote:to adonai, even though I am a firm atheist, there are sadly plenty of things that science as of yet can not completely answer, explain to me the gravity of black holes or how particles get mass. How did the man who designed the periodic table just come across it as a vision in dreams. They are just a couple but you can't say science has all the answers

science has all the answers, its just that humans have yet to comprehend every aspect of science. People have been using god to explain the unexplainable for thousands of years, but over time, nearly every gap of the unknown which god previously filled has been explained by science. This same argument has been used as long as science and religion have clashed: yes, science can now explain why the sun rises and sets each day, but it cannot explain why water can change into ice. Therefore, there must be a god because science can't explain everything. This is no different than saying because we do not fully understand the principles behind a black hole or the mass of particles, science does not have all the answers. Some things must, therefore, be explained by a magical force of some sort. Do you not see how ridiculous this argument is? But alas, religious morons will continue to employ this desperate and idiodic argument until the day that a complete, all-encompassing scientific understanding of the universe is reached.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 am

AudienceOfOne wrote: when tracko and sPine had their little argument

When was this? sPine never came to RT or is sPine and JogMeHard/SourWorms the same person?
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:25 am

Adonai wrote:
    Wgrt wrote:to adonai, even though I am a firm atheist, there are sadly plenty of things that science as of yet can not completely answer, explain to me the gravity of black holes or how particles get mass. How did the man who designed the periodic table just come across it as a vision in dreams. They are just a couple but you can't say science has all the answers

science has all the answers, its just that humans have yet to comprehend every aspect of science. People have been using god to explain the unexplainable for thousands of years, but over time, nearly every gap of the unknown which god previously filled has been explained by science. This same argument has been used as long as science and religion have clashed: yes, science can now explain why the sun rises and sets each day, but it cannot explain why water can change into ice. Therefore, there must be a god because science can't explain everything. This is no different than saying because we do not fully understand the principles behind a black hole or the mass of particles, science does not have all the answers. Some things must, therefore, be explained by a magical force of some sort. Do you not see how ridiculous this argument is? But alas, religious morons will continue to employ this desperate and idiodic argument until the day that a complete, all-encompassing scientific understanding of the universe is reached.

im assuming the ice was for the sake of example since it is possible to prove it with science. but rite on...
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Adonai wrote:

Using this argument for science however can be used for religious people as well. then you have the problem of some people saying that god created all this 'science' to keep us interested or whatever.
    I do not believe in God, but you are way to like Dawkins on this argument, that in the end, you can change some peoples mind, but you can not win.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Most of us aren't here to change anyone's belief. We are here to laugh at the misfortunes of others.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Adonai wrote:

you are assuming that there will be a day when we know everything. that's a big statement. i doubt that even a lot of scientists would agree with that.

once i heard a little allegory about some grasshoppers that made a sanctuary their home. at first they worshipped the huge creature that came in every morning and turned on the lights and worked there until night. eventually the grasshoppers got "smarter" and figured that the huge creature didn't make the light, the switch gave electricity to the bulb which turned in to heat which turned into light. the creature now seemed less powerful. maybe the creature doesn't even exist at all.

see what i'm getting at? i know that the sun doesn't rise up in the morning because God blows on it. but i know he set it up and allows it to happen every morning.

if you want a religion like that, get into greek mythology, because christianity isn't the one you're looking for. in fact, we're the last one you should look at. almost everything humans do does not matter in the end. it's all about what kind of creature you are while you live on earth, humanly or Godly.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:25 pm

At least the grasshoppers could see their god
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:23 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Adonai wrote:

you are assuming that there will be a day when we know everything. that's a big statement. i doubt that even a lot of scientists would agree with that.

once i heard a little allegory about some grasshoppers that made a sanctuary their home. at first they worshipped the huge creature that came in every morning and turned on the lights and worked there until night. eventually the grasshoppers got "smarter" and figured that the huge creature didn't make the light, the switch gave electricity to the bulb which turned in to heat which turned into light. the creature now seemed less powerful. maybe the creature doesn't even exist at all.

see what i'm getting at? i know that the sun doesn't rise up in the morning because God blows on it. but i know he set it up and allows it to happen every morning.

if you want a religion like that, get into greek mythology, because christianity isn't the one you're looking for. in fact, we're the last one you should look at. almost everything humans do does not matter in the end. it's all about what kind of creature you are while you live on earth, humanly or Godly.

Stop trying to refute my points. You either fail miserably, or unwittingly facilitate my argument.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Wgrt wrote:
    Adonai wrote:

Using this argument for science however can be used for religious people as well. then you have the problem of some people saying that god created all this 'science' to keep us interested or whatever.
    I do not believe in God, but you are way to like Dawkins on this argument, that in the end, you can change some peoples mind, but you can not win.

That is a slightly different argument. Obviously, to prove or disprove the existance of god would be impossible. The recently invented theory that god invented all science has been employed of late by desperate bible-thumpers who have realized that science does indeed inevitably have an explanation for everything, therefore god must have another purpose. So, no, one cannot disprove god, for all attempts at reason will be retorted by evolving mystical "proof". Feel free to make up whatever crap you want about the origin of science and the universe; just keep in mind that science can be proven, tested, and applied in nearly all of its forms, which is what differs science from god.
    JK Runs
    Banned

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-10-01

Post by JK Runs Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:15 am

See I still can look on bolth sides and see solid ideas on athiest's and on Christians. In the Dark ages no one could read or write so the bible was messed up by priests to make it sound like they wanted. Plus we have the 16th translated language version of the bible. That means 16 other languages have passed it down so there's not all the information. So that says two things in those lost pages it could have proven gods exsistence or not but at this moment in time it's still a battle which won't be won until something very extordinary would happen.
    For Christians that would be the so called "God or Yehweh" coming down to greet us.
    Then For Athesists science making so huge discovery that dis-approves that god exsists.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 pm

JK Runs wrote:See I still can look on bolth sides and see solid ideas on athiest's and on Christians. In the Dark ages no one could read or write so the bible was messed up by priests to make it sound like they wanted. Plus we have the 16th translated language version of the bible. That means 16 other languages have passed it down so there's not all the information. So that says two things in those lost pages it could have proven gods exsistence or not but at this moment in time it's still a battle which won't be won until something very extordinary would happen.
    For Christians that would be the so called "God or Yehweh" coming down to greet us.
    Then For Athesists science making so huge discovery that dis-approves that god exsists.
    That was actually a decent post, WW.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm

from bash.org

Personally its not God I dislike, its his fan club I cant stand
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Adonai wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Adonai wrote:

Stop trying to refute my points. You either fail miserably, or unwittingly facilitate my argument.
    Please tell me how i failed miserably. I'm pretty sure i refuted you point pretty well. You tried to tell me that God is just something people made up to explain what they can't. And i corrected you and said we don't really give a crap about that part of Christianity.

Stop trying to make fun of my arguments instead of actually arguing about it or refuting them. It just makes me look right.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Adonai wrote:
    Wgrt wrote:
    Adonai wrote:

That is a slightly different argument. Obviously, to prove or disprove the existance of god would be impossible. The recently invented theory that god invented all science has been employed of late by desperate bible-thumpers who have realized that science does indeed inevitably have an explanation for everything, therefore god must have another purpose. So, no, one cannot disprove god, for all attempts at reason will be retorted by evolving mystical "proof". Feel free to make up whatever crap you want about the origin of science and the universe; just keep in mind that science can be proven, tested, and applied in nearly all of its forms, which is what differs science from god.
    Don't try to blame us for the early catholic church that tried to tell people what the Bible said about science and the universe without giving them Bibles, and then killed anyone who tried to prove them wrong using science. The early catholic church was wrong. I believe the Bible, which doesn't tell me that the universe is run by magic, or the the earth is flat or in the center of the universe.

Plus, you say that the idea of God having another purpose than explaining what science can't is a a recently employed idea. You must be really old if 2,000 years is recent for you.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm

CT Track wrote:from bash.org

Personally its not God I dislike, its his fan club I cant stand
    If every Christian would act like they should, I think you'd think differently.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:16 am