Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+10
P2
hxc
mae2937
AudienceOfOne
alex-likes-running
baby got track
NotChangingUntilSub5
FinishingKick
Running With Scissors
ButterySmoothStride
14 posters

Do you always listen to your coach?

ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Do you always listen to your coach? Empty Do you always listen to your coach?

Post by ButterySmoothStride Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:01 pm

My coach said not to go over 50 mpw this summer under any circumstances. I went over 60. I remember at a track meet this year, since the mile is actually one of the later events in my meets, I showed up a little late. And then I told my coach that I was trying to be fashionably late and he says "You know, Pre was always fashionably late." Also, I did a victory lap BEFORE my race at a dual meet. For a final display of shenanigans, I plan on getting all the varsity guys to show up to xc preseason shirtless with me, despite school policy of not going shirtless on campus.

Do you actually listen to your coach? I'm sure that if I pulled the same stunts on more serious teams I'd probably be banished, but my coach and I actually hang out a lot.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Do you always listen to your coach? Empty Re: Do you always listen to your coach?

Post by Running With Scissors Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I try to because he knows more than me.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Do you always listen to your coach? Empty Re: Do you always listen to your coach?

Post by FinishingKick Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Yeah, the only time I didn't listen to him was when he had our fastest freshmen run the same amount of repeats as 10th and up, and me and the rest of 9th grade run one less.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm

I try not to be a complete tool all of the time.
    baby got track
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2211
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by baby got track Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:21 pm

I never listen to my coach, but I'm sneaky about it, so she thinks I listen to everything she says haha.
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Post by ButterySmoothStride Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:22 pm

ProtestTheZero wrote:I try not to be a complete tool all of the time.

Booooo, you should have more fun
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:23 pm

RawBeginner wrote:Also, I did a victory lap BEFORE my race at a dual meet.
    How does that work? I can just imagine a shy kid running a warm up lap around the track and then telling all his friends it was a victory lap.
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50

Post by alex-likes-running Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:24 pm

its hard not to follow my coaches instructions...all he tells us is to go out and run.
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Post by ButterySmoothStride Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    How does that work? I can just imagine a shy kid running a warm up lap around the track and then telling all his friends it was a victory lap.

no, there is a break between the 300 hurdles and the mile of like 20 minutes. so 10 minutes before the mile, my team mate said that he would give me 20 bucks to take a miniature american flag and run a victory lap while holding it over my head. a second condition was that I needed to shout "VICTORY!" in a deep voice when I passed the opposing team(they were all in one area together). a warmup lap and a victory lap are two totally different things, lol.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:32 pm

RawBeginner wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

no, there is a break between the 300 hurdles and the mile of like 20 minutes. so 10 minutes before the mile, my team mate said that he would give me 20 bucks to take a miniature american flag and run a victory lap while holding it over my head. a second condition was that I needed to shout "VICTORY!" in a deep voice when I passed the opposing team(they were all in one area together). a warmup lap and a victory lap are two totally different things, lol.
    I don't think they knew it was supposed to be a "pre-victory lap" lol but it still sounds funny.
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Post by ButterySmoothStride Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:34 pm

FinishingKick wrote:
    RawBeginner wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:

I don't think they knew it was supposed to be a "pre-victory lap" lol but it still sounds funny.

yeah it wasn't directly before the mile, but it was satisfactorily obnoxious
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:42 pm

and nobody got pics? dang.
    mae2937
    mae2937
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1125
    Registration date : 2008-06-04

Post by mae2937 Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm

haha youd be funny if you thought i listened to my coach...its more like go run that course over there...and i say i dont like that i am going over there...i run the same distance i just get the whole team to run it somewhere else
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm

My coach pretty much told me to run as much as possible, and start incorporating some barefoot runs. So I usually listen to my coach.

My MS coach is a complete joke though. He had us do our hardest workout of the year the day before sectionals and advised that we go to mcdonalds after the workout to get some protein. I jogged the workout then me and some friends went to an italian restaurant and and ordered a lot of pasta. My coach told me I wouldn't have the sharp edge that I'd need to win my events the next day If I didn't run fast the day before. I won the 1600, 3200, and got second in the 800. He's a spheenya.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Did he ever run?
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1376
    Mile Time : Used Bicycle
    Class : Dyestat....BAHAHAHAHA

Post by P2 Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 pm

haha absolutely not. i was told to run 3 repeats of hills last year and i did 10. I was told my long run should be 4 and i did 13. we arent supposed to goof off but at least twice a week well go get smoothies during the run or play magic.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Class : University Freshman

Post by runner_dude Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:20 pm

I am my own coach, so I do listen to myself. My college coach knows what she's doing, so I will listen to her, although she expects us to be doing vo2 max workouts right now, which I'm not, since I'm focusing on just getting to be able to handle the mileage that the team does.
    Through_the_Pain
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Mile Time : ???

Post by Through_the_Pain Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:28 pm

I always listen except maybe to the end of XC
    after he sent us off to run some of us would go to the playgrounds and just f around for 30mins.I regret it even though i still pr'ed cuz i might have been able to pr bigger
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:35 pm

well not my main coach because she never did distance, but my assist. coach I do.

but they never give advice so I guess it doesnt matter Neutral
    Kugar
    Kugar
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 404
    Class : Junior
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Kugar Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:39 pm

I try to listen to my coach.

He generally knows what he's talking about, and when he doesn't or we don't agree, he's quick to listen to us and modify our workout(s) accordingly if necessary. He's a good guy, and he really does care about the team (despite the fact that he is possibly the most intimidating person I've ever met).

I also feel a little obligated to listen to him--half the team screws around during practice instead of running.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 am