Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+11
whenhen
Running With Scissors
Wgrt
thelagwagon
Pinthin
runner_dude
Adonai
Tri Babe 518
amherst_xc
AudienceOfOne
Just Because
15 posters

Canada Versus America

Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Canada Versus America - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada Versus America

Post by Just Because Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 pm

Adonai wrote:Reasons why Canada sucks:
    1. Universal health care
    2. Nothing happens in Canada
    3. Nobody lives in Canada
    4. Nobody in the world cares about Canada

I forgot to put ignorance on my list.

Why are you people judging the two countries by # of inventions. It is about your quality of life now.

Sure the artificial heart is great but it doesn`t affect my life. You guys laugh about us being safer, but at least we aren`t going to get shot down walking down the street.

A few more relevant reasons
    1) You guys are the fatest country in the world
    2) You rival China if not beat (depending on what figures you are using) it concerning environmental pollution

and the best reason:

George W. Bush...I don`t even need to explain that one
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:02 am

Just Because wrote:
    Adonai wrote:Reasons why Canada sucks:
    1. Universal health care
    2. Nothing happens in Canada
    3. Nobody lives in Canada
    4. Nobody in the world cares about Canada

I forgot to put ignorance on my list.

Why are you people judging the two countries by # of inventions. It is about your quality of life now.

Sure the artificial heart is great but it doesn`t affect my life. You guys laugh about us being safer, but at least we aren`t going to get shot down walking down the street.

A few more relevant reasons
    1) You guys are the fatest country in the world
    2) You rival China if not beat (depending on what figures you are using) it concerning environmental pollution

and the best reason:

How ironic to call me ignorant considering the hilarious ignorance and stupidity of what you have just said.
    thelagwagon
    thelagwagon
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by thelagwagon Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:54 am

Haha this actually turned into a 'proper' argument. Oh dear!
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:23 am

If were still on inventions

It is estimated that between 40 and 50% of all modern inventions were produced by the British

Oh and most of the far out pollutes china per person, it just happens they have a population of well over a billion so not exactly fair to compare countries as a whole.

And now for some facts from the CIA world factbook.
    GDP per Capita:
    United States $ 45,800
    Canada $ 38,600

Infant Mortality /1000:
    United States 6.30
    Canada 5.08

Population below the poverty line:
    United States 12%
    Canada 10.8%

Public Debt (% of GDP):
    United States 60.80
    Canada 64.20

Unemployment Rate (%):
    United States 4.60
    Canada 6.00

Now Health system from wikipedia
    Per-capita spending for health care in the U.S. was US$6,714; in Canada, US$3,678
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:04 pm

ATCG wrote:
    Just Because wrote:
    ATCG wrote:Some of that is our fault, and some of it isn't.

-Your health care program is very flawed.

-You don't have to deal with so many minorities.

-Go to Wyoming.

-You got us there. That's not our fault though.

1. Every health care program is flawed in some way. Our problems are shortages of doctors compared to people. Everyone gets seen by a doctor, you just have to wait the 5 extra mins. (obviously exceptions are made for emergencies) A lot of families in the states can't see a doctor at all because they don't have insurance. And if they do see a doctor your insurance may not cover it and suddenly a broken leg costs you $1000's of dollars.

2. We have minorities, we have gangs. The Toronto downtown and surrounding area has 4million ppl in it. That rivals a lot of your cities. Except your cities, with a similar population might have 600 murders a year while we have 60.

3. Go to Nunavut

4. You bomb the shit out of people and act like the world revolves around you guys, how is it not your fault?

And remember: we are bigger and we are on top. If we were in prison you guys would be our bitch.
    1. I think you are severely belittling your health care problems.

2. According to Wikipedia, in 06 there were roughly 40.9 million blacks in America. Canada that same year on the other hand only had about 33 million people in their country total. You can't even compare your gangs and crimes. It's not my fault these people seem to have a racial obligation to commit crimes.

3. You said we were crowded, so I pointed out an area that isn't crowded. For you to point out an area of Canada that isn't crowded is an irrelevant counter-argument.

4. I don't. I've never bombed anyone. I've never supported any politician that voted for us to do so. What I have done, like millions of other Americans is donate to causes, many of which go to those countries that hate us. Programs like that go unnoticed, but I'm sure if we all just stopped, those countries would be even more fucked and all of a sudden we would appear even more like the bad guys because we stopped supporting future terrorists.

Woaaah. That is a bit out of line. Sure, statistics will show that black people commit more crimes than whites, but that is due to economic conditions, not the colour of their skin. If whites were the poor ones, we'd be committing the crimes.

And the US' population density is 80/square mile, Canada is 8.3/square mile. Wyoming's, 5.4/square mile, and Nunavut's .039/square mile. The US is far more crowded than Canada.

Your last point is irrelevant, we're talking about countries here, not individual beliefs.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:01 pm

I am no supporter or George Bush, but most of the problems in this country the past 8 years are not due to his errors. In fact, although I wanted Gore to win, do not believe he would be able to handle what Bush did. People need a blame and that's the president. And who is your leader? Do you guys even have a government? I think Tony Blair is more significant in my life than whoever runs Canada.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Post by runner_dude Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:18 pm

CT Track wrote:
    And who is your leader? Do you guys even have a government? I think Tony Blair is more significant in my life than whoever runs Canada.

That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard you say, and I for the most part have a lot of respect for you. Of course we have a government, and our leader is Steven Harper. And for the record, Tony Blair resigned a while ago, Gordon Brown is the new prime minister of Britain.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Well I don't appreciate when people attack our leader because of the image he has from the media overhyping it. You can't say you don't need to explain it because you really do. Bush hasn't brought this country down completely. Bush doesn't control the exchange rate and he doesn't control almost anything. And I blame Collin Powell and congress for the war.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Post by runner_dude Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:46 pm

I never said bush was responsible for everything. Sure, some blame has to fall on him, but there is more than enough blame to go around: Big Businesses, average Americans buying homes they can't afford, and of course Al-Qaeda.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Let me analyze some of the most frequently used arguments by Canadians when attempting to demonstrate why Canada is greater than the U.S.:

1. Many Canadians use the "America bombs everyone/Canada is a peacekeeper" card. Yet, it is rare that the U.S. actually deploys a bomb, even when U.S. personel are the victims of bombings. For example, in response to the Beirut barracks bombings in Lebanon, it was the French, not the U.S., who responded with a large bomber strike on the Beqaa Valley. The U.S. is not quick to resort to bombs as a military stategy. Likewise, although the U.S. has about 5,500 nuclear warheads in stockpile (which I think is mostly a scare tactic), none have yet been deployed since the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Also, it is not as if Canada is this vast sleeping military force who refuses to use its power in order to hold peace. Canada couldn't maintain peace even if it wanted to.

2. I don't understand how having a population density of .039/sq. mi. is supposed to be one of Canada's positive points. Do you like being the only human being for 10s of miles in any direction? I don't know about you, but I do enjoy the occasional social gathering, particularily when I don't have to drive 20 miles to arrive there. Also, to expand upon the above point, it is not that Canada has miles and miles of unused territory that is a disadvantage, but that nearly 20% of its land is nearly unusable (Nunavut).

3. I think it would be pointless and redundant for me to go into the flaws of Canada's health care, but they are indeed extensive.

4. Although the U.S. does have several ignominious problems with its education system, it does manage a level of educational expertise not possible in many countries, including Canada. Consider the plethora of world-class universities: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and many, many more. Also consider the 100+ nobel prize winners, the world-renowned scientists, and the impeccable doctors and surgeons.

5. Canadians often proceed to argue that Canada is more free than the U.S. However, I seem to recall a period of several years when the Canadian government banned an obviously conservative program Fox News from the Canadian airwaves, while simultaneously sponsering public funding of clearly left-wing programs like CBC. Meanwhile, the U.S. continued to project both right and left-wing media to the general public. This is not to say the bipartisan nature of politics the U.S. media projects is a good thing, but at least the American people can be trusted with more than one perspective on political matters.

I don't even like the U.S. all that much, but it is certainly better than Canada.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 pm

JB, if you said before you wanted to talk about things that influenced you, why do you like your health care system when it hurts you but benefits a different group of people?

And, RD, if black people have a statistically higher crime rate and there are more of them in our country, it can be considered a valid fact that they contribute to a crime rate.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm

I agree with CT about bush, and I also wanted Gore to win.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Wgrt Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:30 pm

haha canada is larger so houses are cheaper and they have a tiny population but lets be honest china is the upcoming super power and in 100 years they will of far surpassed both of you
    once britain lead, then you had your turn and hen it will most probably be the chinese providing they do it right
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:34 pm

The Chinese have had the longest turn out of anyone already.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Wgrt Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:38 pm

I wonder if communism will hold up, or they will have a civil war or just the government will change which looks the way its going
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:41 pm

I think eventually they will fall. If India is still around then they could take over, or if borders changed in Europe someone could get really powerful.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Wgrt Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 pm

always the slight possibility of Europe uniting, though I can't see it ever really, the euro was a start but it would take a serious pandemic to get that to happen
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Everything will be different in a few hundred years so it's quite possible.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Contrary to common belief, Japan owns more of the US debt than China. However, Japan is selling off our debt, while China is buying up about 36% of the $1.39 billion it increases by per day. China does have the potential to pull the rug right out from underneath the U.S., but they won't do it because their investments will go to shit if the U.S. goes bankrupt. A debt instrument gains its value from the belief that the borrowing entity will not go bankrupt and will be able to pay the agreed interest. At least this means China believes the U.S. economy will hold up in the long term.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Wgrt Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:13 pm

china is however smaller than america and growth can not go on forever at least anywhere near its current rate
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Just Because Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Adonai wrote:Let me analyze some of the most frequently used arguments by Canadians when attempting to demonstrate why Canada is greater than the U.S.:

1. Many Canadians use the "America bombs everyone/Canada is a peacekeeper" card. Yet, it is rare that the U.S. actually deploys a bomb, even when U.S. personel are the victims of bombings. For example, in response to the Beirut barracks bombings in Lebanon, it was the French, not the U.S., who responded with a large bomber strike on the Beqaa Valley. The U.S. is not quick to resort to bombs as a military stategy. Likewise, although the U.S. has about 5,500 nuclear warheads in stockpile (which I think is mostly a scare tactic), none have yet been deployed since the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Also, it is not as if Canada is this vast sleeping military force who refuses to use its power in order to hold peace. Canada couldn't maintain peace even if it wanted to.

2. I don't understand how having a population density of .039/sq. mi. is supposed to be one of Canada's positive points. Do you like being the only human being for 10s of miles in any direction? I don't know about you, but I do enjoy the occasional social gathering, particularily when I don't have to drive 20 miles to arrive there. Also, to expand upon the above point, it is not that Canada has miles and miles of unused territory that is a disadvantage, but that nearly 20% of its land is nearly unusable (Nunavut).

3. I think it would be pointless and redundant for me to go into the flaws of Canada's health care, but they are indeed extensive.

4. Although the U.S. does have several ignominious problems with its education system, it does manage a level of educational expertise not possible in many countries, including Canada. Consider the plethora of world-class universities: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and many, many more. Also consider the 100+ nobel prize winners, the world-renowned scientists, and the impeccable doctors and surgeons.

5. Canadians often proceed to argue that Canada is more free than the U.S. However, I seem to recall a period of several years when the Canadian government banned an obviously conservative program Fox News from the Canadian airwaves, while simultaneously sponsering public funding of clearly left-wing programs like CBC. Meanwhile, the U.S. continued to project both right and left-wing media to the general public. This is not to say the bipartisan nature of politics the U.S. media projects is a good thing, but at least the American people can be trusted with more than one perspective on political matters.

I don't even like the U.S. all that much, but it is certainly better than Canada.

1) When the U.S. was not making the gains it wanted in Iraq, Pres. Bush ordered a troop surge, a large one. How does this constitute a "held-back" America. You guys bomb targets in Iraq and Afgan. everyday, obviously not on the thousands of dead scale but it still does happen

2) When i previously raised this point, I was talking about over-crowding in schools and major cities.

3) Every system has problems, our two systems have different problems. I rather wait the extra time for a doctor and get my leg fixed then not being able to see him/her at all because i can't afford it.

4) You have a superior post-secondary system but below that level, there are serious problems. Do remember that you guys have 10x the population we do, so you would have a larger pool of people who have experienced success. On the flip side of that, there are a lot of people, many more then Canada, who have fallen through the cracks of your education system.

5) No one ever makes the point that we are more free. We both have censorship and regulations on business. While the programming on Fox is bad, I am able to watch it.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Just Because wrote:
    Adonai wrote:Let me analyze some of the most frequently used arguments by Canadians when attempting to demonstrate why Canada is greater than the U.S.:

1) When the U.S. was not making the gains it wanted in Iraq, Pres. Bush ordered a troop surge, a large one. How does this constitute a "held-back" America. You guys bomb targets in Iraq and Afgan. everyday, obviously not on the thousands of dead scale but it still does happen

2) When i previously raised this point, I was talking about over-crowding in schools and major cities.

3) Every system has problems, our two systems have different problems. I rather wait the extra time for a doctor and get my leg fixed then not being able to see him/her at all because i can't afford it.

4) You have a superior post-secondary system but below that level, there are serious problems. Do remember that you guys have 10x the population we do, so you would have a larger pool of people who have experienced success. On the flip side of that, there are a lot of people, many more then Canada, who have fallen through the cracks of your education system.

5) No one ever makes the point that we are more free. We both have censorship and regulations on business. While the programming on Fox is bad, I am able to watch it.

1. Fool. I never described a "held-back" America. Your initial statement was that the U.S. "bombs the shit out of people." Can you name targets that have been bombed in the last few months? I would be surprised if you could. I don't think you really know if the U.S. has even dropped a single bomb in the last year. But, it is an assertion of the ignorant that a bomb is dropped every day. Regardless, we are at war with Iraq/Afghanistan, so I would say to use a weapon on these countries would not be outside the realm of rationality.

2. Overcrowding is a highly exaggerated, truly nonexistant problem in the vast majority of the U.S. I am sure certain areas in Canada (i.e. Toronto) have equivalent problems with overcrowding.

3. Universal health care, like all socialist programs, looks great on paper, but the reality is otherwise.

4. Yes, thank you for repeating what I had just said, in addition to that vague metaphor which tells me nothing. Also, you are essentially saying that the production and success of a country should be measured relative to its population. So, since we have more people, our achievments are worth less? What a foolish assertion!

5. Now you are able to watch Fox. But, there was a period of time in which this conservative program was censored from Canadian airwaves. At least you are aware of your country's slightly oppressed state.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:53 pm

So you like the fact that your health care system treats everyone but you don't like our education system for teaching everyone. What gives?
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Wgrt Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:53 pm

you think america is overcrowded?
    England has over a fifth of americas population in a space which is smaller than Oregon on its own
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Just Because Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Adonai wrote:
    Just Because wrote:

1. Fool. I never described a "held-back" America. Your initial statement was that the U.S. "bombs the shit out of people." Can you name targets that have been bombed in the last few months? I would be surprised if you could. I don't think you really know if the U.S. has even dropped a single bomb in the last year. But, it is an assertion of the ignorant that a bomb is dropped every day. Regardless, we are at war with Iraq/Afghanistan, so I would say to use a weapon on these countries would not be outside the realm of rationality.

2. Overcrowding is a highly exaggerated, truly nonexistant problem in the vast majority of the U.S. I am sure certain areas in Canada (i.e. Toronto) have equivalent problems with overcrowding.

3. Universal health care, like all socialist programs, looks great on paper, but the reality is otherwise.

4. Yes, thank you for repeating what I had just said, in addition to that vague metaphor which tells me nothing. Also, you are essentially saying that the production and success of a country should be measured relative to its population. So, since we have more people, our achievments are worth less? What a foolish assertion!

5. Now you are able to watch Fox. But, there was a period of time in which this conservative program was censored from Canadian airwaves. At least you are aware of your country's slightly oppressed state.

1. You made the inference that while the States has a large amount of WMD's, (yes, Nuclear warheads do count) but chooses not to use them. This is the held back American i refered to. You admit that you are using bombs on Iraq and Afganistan, when in fact you are not at war against them, but with them, against rebels opposed to the government.

2. Population density of New York (your largest city) 26,403 people per square mile. Population density of Toronto (our largest city) 10,287.4/sq mi. I would say that is a lot more crowded

3. The same can be said about the insurance system in the States

4. To Illustrate my point, an example: If i passed 4 tests during the school year that is good. If there were over 100 tests given then those 4 tests don't look so impressive.

5. Fox sucks but I am able to watch it. It was never "banned'. They were refused a license in favour of Rogers (a Canadian Company) This was done in order to promote Rogers. It was never an issue of Censorship. And you guys do have censorship just the same as us. You have the FCC and We have the CRTC

FK: I never said that I am against teaching everyone. I said that for everyone Nobel Prize winner, there are thousands more who fall through the cracks of the education system.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:17 am