Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+13
ND XC 23
xc_babe09
*sg*
NotChangingUntilSub5
Pinthin
PCNQtrack
FinishingKick
BA_Sadie.
xotrackkgirl
AudienceOfOne
CT Track
BagoXC25
mary XC
17 posters

Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets?

mary XC
    mary XC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 267
    Mile Time : 6:01 (hopefully sub 6 soon!)
    Class : 8th grade
    800m Time : 2:47.47
    5000m XC Time : 21:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-31

Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets? Empty Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets?

Post by mary XC Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

I know hes a good swimmer but really, theres a bunch of other good athletes in the olympics too, otherwise they wouldnt be there. but every single day of the olympics and even a couple days before the olympics started, micheal phelps has been on the front page of the newspaper and/or the front page of the sports page in the newspaper i get. plus when his relay team won a gold medal they treated him like he did all the work when really it was that last guy that did the most.

anyways, i was just wondering what yall thought
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets? Empty Re: Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets?

Post by BagoXC25 Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Umm...no station I watched gave phelps any of the credit. He did break the american record in that race also, but there were a TON of interviews with lezak after the race.

Oh, and you do know that he is going for the most gold medals in any olympics EVER for ANY event, right?
    mary XC
    mary XC
    Pro
    Pro

Mile Time : 6:01 (hopefully sub 6 soon!)
    Class : 8th grade
    800m Time : 2:47.47
    5000m XC Time : 21:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-31

Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets? Empty Re: Does Micheal Phelps Deserve All The Popularity He Gets?

Post by mary XC Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:23 pm

BagoXC25 wrote:Oh, and you do know that he is going for the most gold medals in any olympics EVER for ANY event, right?
    yea well its a lot easier to do that when you swim or run track than if you play softball or something because he swims so many events
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:30 pm

People dream just to be at the olympics. A man so dominant that he wins the most gold medals ever deserves credit.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm

it's not hype if you live up to it. so far he has.

BUT i do believe swimming is the easiest sport to get get multiple medals in, due to all the events, and that say a 100 freestyle in swimming will take less of a toll on you physically than a 100 footrace.
    xotrackkgirl
    xotrackkgirl
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1023
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by xotrackkgirl Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:31 pm

he has ADD. When he was younger, his teachers told him he'd be a nobody. Poor kid couldn't concentrate in school and had a pretty tough childhood.

He blew off all the people who told him he was worthless. He took something and worked it really hard to make something out of it. He then became a hero for the World.

I think he deserves every ounce of credit.

Phelppyyy! <33
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:53 pm

non olympic years michael phelps is a nobody even though hes considered one of the greatest olympians ever (any sport) yet we all know who lebron james is everyday (not that lebron james isn't sweet cuz he is just sayingggg)
    so yeahh i would say he does.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Of course he does, he's going for one of the greatest athletic achievements of all time.

Besides, you heard about him a little during the trails, you hear about him a lot now, but you won't hear anything about him for another four years. You hear about all those "poor" softball and basketball players who only have a chance at one medal every other day, so don't complain. If you don't like it, tune it out, America will be back to "normal" in two weeks.
    PCNQtrack
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1663
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59

Post by PCNQtrack Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:00 pm

There is no question he deserves it...to go out and even have the possibility of achieving what he has set his mind for is just astounding.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 pm

xotrackkgirl wrote:he has ADD. When he was younger, his teachers told him he'd be a nobody. Poor kid couldn't concentrate in school and had a pretty tough childhood.

He blew off all the people who told him he was worthless. He took something and worked it really hard to make something out of it. He then became a hero for the World.

I think he deserves every ounce of credit.

Phelppyyy! <33

yaaay!!!! lol

yeah, duh its easier to get more medals in swimming then track but oh well its the way it works. unless you are capable of running a marathon and sprints (that will be the day) The man is amazing, I think he deserves every last bit of it Smile . He's breaking world records too, thats a pretty big deal.

and they didn't give him that much credit for the relay, yeah they mentioned it because he was worried about getting the gold in that event but he did. Lezak (sp) got waay more (which was well deserved)
    xotrackkgirl
    xotrackkgirl
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1023
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by xotrackkgirl Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 pm

FinishingKick wrote: but you won't hear anything about him for another four years.

after he finished the 400 free, he said that was probably his last 400 free race. Does that mean he's done after beijing? :X
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:25 pm

no hes not done after beijing lol.
    hes said that more than once.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Micheal Phelps is NOT overrated. He is rated accurately.
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 358
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Post by *sg* Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:15 pm

I think he deserves the hype, but I'm really tired of hearing about his mom. She's not the one getting the medals. I don't know if the channels you people get have had this problem, but the ones where I am talk about her almost more than they talk about him. It's really annoying.
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 640
    Mile Time : 6:13
    Class : Senior

Post by xc_babe09 Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:13 am

we were at camp and one of my teammates called his mom fat..

but anyways i think he deserves the hype. i think hes hot and an amazing swimmer so i dont mind hearing about him all the time.
    ND XC 23
    ND XC 23
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 563
    Mile Time : i like to do stuff
    Class : funny

Post by ND XC 23 Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 am

*sg* wrote:I think he deserves the hype, but I'm really tired of hearing about his mom. She's not the one getting the medals. I don't know if the channels you people get have had this problem, but the ones where I am talk about her almost more than they talk about him. It's really annoying.

haha i know, they had a whole segment on her
    i mean, shes cool and all but i just wanna see michael!
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:48 am

xotrackkgirl wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote: but you won't hear anything about him for another four years.

after he finished the 400 free, he said that was probably his last 400 free race. Does that mean he's done after beijing? :X
    He won't be in as many events in the next Olympics.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:49 am

*sg* wrote:I think he deserves the hype, but I'm really tired of hearing about his mom. She's not the one getting the medals. I don't know if the channels you people get have had this problem, but the ones where I am talk about her almost more than they talk about him. It's really annoying.
    We're all watching NBC you know.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 am

FinishingKick wrote:
    We're all watching NBC you know.
    lol
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:49 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:we were at camp and one of my teammates called his mom fat..

but anyways i think he deserves the hype. i think hes hot and an amazing swimmer so i dont mind hearing about him all the time.

umm thats kinda harsh :/
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 640
    Mile Time : 6:13
    Class : Senior

Post by xc_babe09 Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm

yea.. she doesnt think about things before she says them. she called 3 of our teammates fat but not meaning it the way she said it. she just blurts stuff out before she thinks of how it would sound to someone else.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:51 pm

well thats not good lol.
    Push Towards State
    Push Towards State
    Pro
    Pro

Registration date : 2008-07-07

Post by Push Towards State Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 pm

He doesnt deserve it.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Push Towards State wrote:He doesnt deserve it.
    NO U.
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:45 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:we were at camp and one of my teammates called his mom fat..

+ 100
    he's a hottie......lol Very Happy
    i dont mind hearing about him AT ALL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:07 am