Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+12
Grimmest
ButterySmoothStride
Running With Scissors
BA_Sadie.
futureNIKErunner
xc_babe09
FinishingKick
Phuckduck
CT Track
whenhen
Pinthin
NotChangingUntilSub5
16 posters

Change the voting age

NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Change the voting age Empty Change the voting age

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 am

I think it should be changed to at least 28 if not older.

We do NOT need grad students voting.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Change the voting age Empty Re: Change the voting age

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:11 am

I agree and disagree.

I agree with that sometimes (like now) most are voting for Obama because only he's cooler.

But I disagree because obviously they have a say in it too. I think if your old enough to go to war and fight for you country, your old enough to choose your own president.

EDIT+ your just saying that because you dont like liberals and younger people tend to be more liberal. HATER Mad
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:15 am

Pinthin wrote:I agree and disagree.

I agree with that sometimes (like now) most are voting for barack because only he's cooler.
    Nobody votes based on coolness, they vote Dem because they are afraid that they won't be able to support themselves out of college. A young Dem's idea of fairness is the person in the tax bracket immediately above them pays more.

Pinthin wrote:But I disagree because obviously they have a say in it too. I think if your old enough to go to war and fight for you country, your old enough to choose your own president.
    Fine, soldiers of any age can vote, pussy liberals can't, nor can they hide behind Vietnam era reasoning.
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1567
    Mile Time : I'm a rebel. I put text in here
    Class : 2012
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:46 PR; 2:00 range normal
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by whenhen Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:21 am

If you can be tried as an adult, then you can get the responsibilities that come with being one. Besides, recent grads would hopefully vote for modern things that older people couldn't care less about.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:23 am

whenhen wrote:If you can be tried as an adult, then you can get the responsibilities that come with being one. Besides, recent grads would hopefully vote for modern things that older people couldn't care less about.
    So, what, you turn 40 and you are out of touch? Way to be close minded.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 am

When liberals cant vote, your thinking like soviet Russia or Nazi Germany, When it comes from preventing people to vote your committing discrimination based on their thoughts. If it wasn't for liberals our country wouldn't have progressed like it has I.E SLAVERY.

Our country was founded by liberals (George Washington etc..) what they did was radical, (like liberals) . I mean they over threw a established government to create their own.

You need both liberals and republicans, w/out either of them our country would be screwed up.
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Post by whenhen Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:25 am

ProtestTheZero wrote:
    whenhen wrote:If you can be tried as an adult, then you can get the responsibilities that come with being one. Besides, recent grads would hopefully vote for modern things that older people couldn't care less about.
    What I'm saying is that they would vote for things like bettering education, and social reforms, rather than sticking to the things they grew up with.
    Oh, and I like McCain better than Obama. Just putting it out there.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:27 am

whenhen wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:
    What I'm saying is that they would vote for things like bettering education, and social reforms, rather than sticking to the things they grew up with.

agree
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:30 am

Pinthin wrote:
    whenhen wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:

agree
    The government's job is to represent the interest of the American people, and more American's are 30+ than under, what is important to them is what is important to American Politicians. Trying to lower the voting age to a point where severely altered political ideology is increasingly prevalent is social engineering at its most devious, and borderline Stalinist.

Move back to the Soviet Union, Commie.
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Post by whenhen Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 am

The government's job is to represent the interest of the American
    people, and more American's are 30+ than under, what is important to
    them is what is important to American Politicians.
    So you're saying that since there are more 30+ yr olds, then the younger generation does not count?
    Also, even if an 18 yr old is not as "good" a citizen as a 45 year old, by law he is mature enough to make decisions that can try him as an adult in a court of law, he legally should have enough maturity to vote for what laws can sentence him to jail.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 am

Yes since the numbers of registered voteres continually dwindles, and many registered voters don't vote at all, but check one single political party without even identifying the issues, I suppose the best option is to make the voting age higher. I'm not sure where you get the idea that 18 year olds don't have an understanding of politics. If you haven't realized, those 18 year old idiots who were ignorant before, become 28 year old idiots. You're either going to care about voting and the benefits of each candidate or you're not. Voting age will do nothing but make this more into a communist state with the power each party has.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:49 am

ProtestTheZero wrote:
    Pinthin wrote:
    whenhen wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:

agree
    The government's job is to represent the interest of the American people, and more American's are 30+ than under, what is important to them is what is important to American Politicians. Trying to lower the voting age to a point where severely altered political ideology is increasingly prevalent is social engineering at its most devious, and borderline Stalinist.

Your saying that the government should ignore a sizeable amount of the population for no logical reasoning. What is the proof you have that lowering the voting age alters the political ideology?

Why would a conservative congress allow 18 year olds to vote then? Because the 26th amendment (which was passed during a CONSERVATIVE president either Nixon or ford) is what allows them to do so. So go blame your stupid conservative party, not the liberals
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:52 am

Pinthin wrote:When liberals cant vote, your thinking like soviet Russia or Nazi Germany, When it comes from preventing people to vote your committing discrimination based on their thoughts. If it wasn't for liberals our country wouldn't have progressed like it has I.E SLAVERY.

Our country was founded by liberals (George Washington etc..) what they did was radical, (like liberals) . I mean they over threw a established government to create their own.

You need both liberals and republicans, w/out either of them our country would be screwed up.

respond to this =/
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Post by whenhen Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:57 am

I'm kind of surprised that this idea was brought up in a teenage running forum. It's kind of like a 15 year old arguing that only 27 year olds should be able to drive since they're more mature than a 16 year old or 18 year old.

Last edited by whenhen on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:01 am

whenhen wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that this idea was brought up in a teenage running forum. It's kind of like a 15 year old arguing that only 27 year olds should be able to drive since they're more mature than a 16 year old or 18 year old.

yeah I thought it was odd too, because almost every teenager wants the chance to "express" themselves. I guess not him Rolling Eyes
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:26 am

no, he's just pissed obama is going to beat mccain because mccain is a dinosaur and most conservatives are also dinosaurs with the exception of him
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 am

He has a point, almost everyone in college is liberal. That being said, young voters don't vote more than any other age group, so it's not too big of a deal.

I think if one party spent a bunch of money telling those registered to vote, they'd win.
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 640
    Mile Time : 6:13
    Class : Senior

Post by xc_babe09 Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am

ProtestTheZero wrote:
    Pinthin wrote:
    whenhen wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:

agree

wow, you tell her to move back to the soviet union when you when to give up other peoples voting right until they are 28 just because you dont like the way they will vote. its not your choice whether they get to vote and thats why its a democracy. if they government took the vote away from adults--and i use that lightly because just because they are that age does not make them that mature or responsible-- it would be 1 step closer to a communist government--i fear its going to happen sooner or later-- but you might think about what your saying before you give crap to someone else for what they are saying
    futureNIKErunner
    futureNIKErunner
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 3510
    Mile Time : wat goes here again?
    Class : Sophmore
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by futureNIKErunner Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am

Pinthin wrote:I agree and disagree.

I agree with that sometimes (like now) most are voting for Obama because only he's cooler.

But I disagree because obviously they have a say in it too. I think if your old enough to go to war and fight for you country, your old enough to choose your own president.

EDIT+ your just saying that because you dont like liberals and younger people tend to be more liberal. HATER Mad

i agree, if your old enough to be drafted into war you should @ least be able to vote for the president that you think will bring a good outcome from it.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:15 am

xc_babe09 wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:
    Pinthin wrote:
    whenhen wrote:
    ProtestTheZero wrote:

agree

wow, you tell her to move back to the soviet union when you when to give up other peoples voting right until they are 28 just because you dont like the way they will vote. its not your choice whether they get to vote and thats why its a democracy. if they government took the vote away from adults--and i use that lightly because just because they are that age does not make them that mature or responsible-- it would be 1 step closer to a communist government--i fear its going to happen sooner or later-- but you might think about what your saying before you give crap to someone else for what they are saying
    Ur sarcasm detector is busted.

[quote="Pinthin"]When liberals cant vote, your thinking like soviet
    Russia or Nazi Germany,[/qoute]I don't understand how, there are liberals over the age of 28 FYI. Changing the sample size of voters to include more qualified voters (clearly age makes a difference, or EVERYONE would have voting rights) does not make us fascists, it makes us democrats.
    Pinthin wrote:When it comes from preventing people to vote
    your committing discrimination based on their thoughts. If it wasn't
    for liberals our country wouldn't have progressed like it has I.E
    SLAVERY.
    No, I'm preventing people from voting based on age, not thoughts. You are acting like I said "Change the voting age to being old enough to not be a pussy liberal" no "Change it to 28" There are liberals and conservatives on both sides of that line, I just happen to believe that clearly SOMETHING changes in people as they age, because almost universally, people become more conservative with age. Therefore, allowing only older people to vote protects the FUTURE INTERESTS of the younger generation.

Pinthin wrote:Our country was founded by liberals (George Washington
    etc..) what they did was radical, (like liberals) . I mean they over
    threw a established government to create their own.
    Liberals who would be radically conservative in today's context. You clearly don't know what it means to be a liberal or a conservative, or you would realize that our founding fathers were overwhelmingly conservative in their approach to actual governmental issues, such as government expansion.

Pinthin wrote:You need both liberals and republicans, w/out either of them our country would be screwed up.
    First off, no we don't. Socialists contribute nothing to society but bitchy ideals that can never function in practice. Secondly, the fact that we have two parties fucks our country up very badly. The majority of politicians today are arguing over tax rates, and completely ignoring the other solution to our deficit, make the country richer. Increasing taxation is going to drive wealth out of America and force increased taxation again, viscious cycle, ya hurd?

As I always say, fuck the liberals, they are so goddamn stupid.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am

futureNIKErunner wrote:i agree, if your old enough to be drafted into war you should @ least be able to vote for the president that you think will bring a good outcome from it.
    No American will ever be drafted again. And like I said, if you want to vote, join the army, don't say that because all the conservatives have joined the army and fought for your freedom, pussy liberals who'd shit themselves if they ever had to sit down with a recruiter, should be able to vote.
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 640
    Mile Time : 6:13
    Class : Senior

Post by xc_babe09 Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:01 pm

is this because most of the younger people would just vote for obama because he is younger.. your assuming that if that is what this is about. i dont like obama and im even younger than the people voting. i dont think its about liberal views. people are afraid that nothing will change because mccain carries the same policies as bush. how much good has bush done? i dont like obama or mccain but if i could vote i would vote for mccain. i know what your talking about as far as the younger people voting for obama but i think 28 is a high age to set it at maybe 21 would be better. my friend who will be able to vote has liked obama from the beginning and ive always told her no, but she hasnt listened to the facts very well. i think thats what your getting at with this, people like her who dont listen to the facts they just like someone because they are younger and not really anything else.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BA_Sadie. Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:03 pm

I agree
    I think that we need to be away from our parents before we can really be positive about our opinions because most teens just think what their parents think. We need to be on completely on our own before we can make decisions as important as who the next president will be. But, I do agree that we are the future so they need to have college students voting so that we can the youth can change what they think should be changed. maybe changing the voting age to like 20ish or something.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 pm

I'll give you 21 but not 28.
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by ButterySmoothStride Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Pinthin wrote:When liberals cant vote, your thinking like soviet Russia or Nazi Germany, When it comes from preventing people to vote your committing discrimination based on their thoughts. If it wasn't for liberals our country wouldn't have progressed like it has I.E SLAVERY.

They overthrew the government because it was oppressive....kinda like the democratic party today. BTW, Washington would have never supported universal healthcare and super-high taxes. He believed that government should protect the rights of the people, not that government should control every aspect of peoples' lives. He was liberal by 18th century standards, he wouldn't be considered liberal at all today...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm