Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+2
XCTrackXC
Love For Running
6 posters

Sick or mental?

Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Sick or mental? Empty Sick or mental?

Post by Love For Running Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 am

So my boyfriend had mono over the summer (he was sick basically all of July). I never had any symptoms of mono, but I was really tired a lot over the summer-but I was getting about 6 hours of sleep a night, running, and working, so I thought it was due to that. My XC season starts and my first race is pretty good, a PR for that course. Then I start having absolutely horrible races, and I start feeling extremely tired, falling asleep during the day and stuff. My times were around 21:00, then 23:00, then 22:00, and I'm previously had 19:33 PR, so I thought I could go around 20:00 early in the season. I took two weeks off basically during the season, and got my blood checked. The results said I had previosly had mono and since the levels were high, it must have been recently. I was not anemic, didnt have a thyroid problem, nothing else was found. I started taking a lot of vitamins and other things from my chiropractor, and I started feeling better. I was able to train and hit a 20:43 by Region. Then I started feeling tired again but still did Junior Olympics 2 weeks later, hitting a 22:15. I decided I felt horrible and I was going to have to talk a long break. My parents told me 4 weeks, I took 3 but the first week back I only exercised twice. During this time I did absolutely nothing. AT ALL, because I needed rest. I would STILL feel tired, even after doing nothing during the day. I also got sick for a week. I started back running and I felt fine for about 2 weeks and then I started feeling tired again, I also got sick AGAIN for another week, and that brings me up to now. I haven't run in a week because of this, I felt horrible the last time I tried...I just went back to the doctor and got another blood test, but we dont know if anything will show. I know that this was long, and you guys are not experts, but has anyone ever experience anything like this? or do you guys think its "all in my head"?
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Sick or mental? Empty Re: Sick or mental?

Post by XCTrackXC Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 pm

You might still have mono? I know it can stay with you for a really long time. A girl in one of my classes last year had it in August before school started and still had it when the year ended.

I'm not really sure, I'm no expert, if your getting all the rights nutrients and enough food in general, healthy, took a nice break and felt fine for a while then started to have problems again and had mono previously, the only thing I can think of is that it's mono.

You might be trying to get back into training too fast? I know a lot of times after I take a break from running I start back up way too fast because I feel great/capable of running a lot more, or a lot faster than my body's ready to yet and after a while I end up running really sluggish and feeling dead running slower paces and shorter distances than I was just a few days earlier.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon, and somebody else might know better than me.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:38 pm

sorry what's mono?
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by XCTrackXC Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm

alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by alex-likes-running Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Wgrt wrote:sorry what's mono?
    dw, i didnt know what it was either until i saw it on RW a couple months ago lol
    hannah
    hannah
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-07-11

Post by hannah Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't think that it's all in your head- there's probably something wrong, so maybe wait to get the results back (I didn't think you could relapse for mono, but I'm not an expert).

I had something pretty similar happen to me last winter. I got mono in early January somehow (it takes 2-3 weeks to come down with it), and I felt really tired and sluggish all the time and I was sleeping 12 hours a night. I thought it was all in my head and I just needed to push harder, so I kept on running even though I felt awful, and I started to feel better about a month later. Fast forward to late April when I get the stomach flu and go to the doctor, and find out I have mono. Apparently I'd gotten better really slowly (I still had to take the 2 weeks before championships off though).

Sorry for the long story, but maybe some of it will help you. Anyway, my guess is that you never fully recovered and then you got worse when you started running again.
    I hope everything works out.
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Love For Running Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks, that does seem like a similar thing, i never really stopped until the end of the season beside my short break..i may have worn my body out completely
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

hannah wrote:

I had something pretty similar happen to me last winter. I got mono in early January somehow (it takes 2-3 weeks to come down with it), and I felt really tired and sluggish all the time and I was sleeping 12 hours a night. I thought it was all in my head and I just needed to push harder, so I kept on running even though I felt awful, and I started to feel better about a month later. Fast forward to late April when I get the stomach flu and go to the doctor, and find out I have mono. Apparently I'd gotten better really slowly (I still had to take the 2 weeks before championships off though).

I'm starting to think I had mono last year during track...I had a lot of your symptoms at least, but my doctor was clueless, then I ended up getting even sicker and getting pneumonia.
    And it did, it lasted like 2 months but I just kept running and doing reallllllly crappy.

I'm going to keep an eye out for that this year.

sorry for not contributing anything useful.
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Love For Running Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Well, the results came back from the doctor. I dont have mono, but I had it in the "recent past" meaning this summer before the last blood test. I am slightly anemic too, but nothing else was found...so we will see how i feel now...i was sick and now im not so that should help..i finally ran today and felt ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 pm