Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+6
ButterySmoothStride
Running With Scissors
FinishingKick
BA_Sadie.
eternally_running
funrunner
10 posters

The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop

funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop Empty The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop

Post by funrunner Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:23 pm

So I'm trying to think of how I can avoid the in-season mileage drop and keep my mileage at around 45 for the next two weeks before our first meet and the beginning of real workouts. Our coach will probably only have us run an average of 5 miles/day in practice so here are some options I came up with.

1. Start doubling. 2 miles every morning as a shakeout, getting me ~7 miles/day, 10 mile long run on Saturday = 45 mpw

2. Try to convince my coach to let me run 7 miles every day in practice. There's about a 60-40 chance that that'll work. We won't be doing workouts yet so it's not like I'll be ditching a quality session for a little extra mileage. +10 on Saturday = 45 mpw

3. Run just my coach's mileage 5 miles/day with a 10 mile long run on Saturday for 35 mpw. I'd really rather not have a long run that's twice as long as every other run, so realistically it'd be an 8 mile long(ish) run for 33 mpw. This is more along the lines of what I'd want to do towards the end of the season without the long run.

What do you guys think? If you have any other ideas feel free to chime in.
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop Empty Re: The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop

Post by eternally_running Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:56 pm

hmmmm...i think you should ask your coach first, and do that if you are allowed. If that doesnt work then id say the 1st plan
    good luck working it all out
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop Empty Re: The Inevitable In-Season Mileage Drop

Post by BA_Sadie. Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 pm

same as eternal.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

It depends, when you say 5 miles a day, is most of that easy or are you doing workouts? If you're starting workouts I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage drop, summer is for base, fall is for speed. If you keep training like you've been all summer you won't improve this season. It's definitely time to start including some workouts you haven't done yet this summer like rep.
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by Running With Scissors Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 pm

My coach makes us run about 7-8 miles a day so it will be a increase for me but I plan on keeping my 6 mile tempo pace for these runs. I want a state medal but you should definatly ask your coach first just don't do it with out him knowing.
    ButterySmoothStride
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by ButterySmoothStride Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 pm

after my team does interval workouts, I usually do a 40 minute easy run. and if he tells my team to do an easy 5 miler, I just ask him "is it alright if I take 7?" and he knows I'm used to even higher so he doesn't worry about letting me do more. i should be at 45-50 during the season
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:57 pm

funrunner wrote:So I'm trying to think of how I can avoid the in-season mileage drop and keep my mileage at around 45 for the next two weeks before our first meet and the beginning of real workouts. Our coach will probably only have us run an average of 5 miles/day in practice so here are some options I came up with.

1. Start doubling. 2 miles every morning as a shakeout, getting me ~7 miles/day, 10 mile long run on Saturday = 45 mpw

2. Try to convince my coach to let me run 7 miles every day in practice. There's about a 60-40 chance that that'll work. We won't be doing workouts yet so it's not like I'll be ditching a quality session for a little extra mileage. +10 on Saturday = 45 mpw

3. Run just my coach's mileage 5 miles/day with a 10 mile long run on Saturday for 35 mpw. I'd really rather not have a long run that's twice as long as every other run, so realistically it'd be an 8 mile long(ish) run for 33 mpw. This is more along the lines of what I'd want to do towards the end of the season without the long run.

Do you only run 6 days a week?

If you run 7 you might want to check your math......
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by funrunner Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:58 pm

FinishingKick wrote:It depends, when you say 5 miles a day, is most of that easy or are you doing workouts? If you're starting workouts I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage drop, summer is for base, fall is for speed. If you keep training like you've been all summer you won't improve this season. It's definitely time to start including some workouts you haven't done yet this summer like rep.
    Like I said, we won't start workouts for two more weeks, and I want to keep my mileage up for that time. I'll drop down to around 35 when we start on workouts.
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by funrunner Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:59 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    funrunner wrote:So I'm trying to think of how I can avoid the in-season mileage drop and keep my mileage at around 45 for the next two weeks before our first meet and the beginning of real workouts. Our coach will probably only have us run an average of 5 miles/day in practice so here are some options I came up with.

Do you only run 6 days a week?

If you run 7 you might want to check your math......

6 days a week. I just feel crappy when I run 7. I'll probably start this winter though.
    The Waterboy
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 166
    Registration date : 2008-07-02

Post by The Waterboy Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm

I say option 1. A shake out run wouldn't hurt at all, it would actually help you, and you aren't going against your coach in any way. Do 2 miles in the morning and then focus on running your 5 mile runs at practice faster.

Another option could be to just do longer warmups and cooldowns on race days, so you could get maybe a 7 or 8 mile day out of a normally 4 or 5 mile day.
    Usually a coach wants you to do what works best for you in terms of warming up and cooling down on race day, so it shouldn't bother your coach.
    runnin93
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by runnin93 Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:45 pm

I would try to ask your coach if you can 7 miles instead of the normal 5 miles. I think that might be more beneficial than a 5 mile run and a 2 mile run in the morning, not sure if it's worth doing just 2. But if he for some reason doesnt let you do the 7, then do the 5 mi 2 mi double.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:48 pm

tell your coach he's a nub

what self-respecting coach thinks he's going to have a good team with 5 miles/day. and if you do a 10 miler every saturday with only 5 every other day its not going to be beneficial and ultimately lead to injury

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm