Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+17
FinishingKick
runner_dude
NotChangingUntilSub5
hxc
xc_babe09
RUNxxWILD07
May As Well Run
Kugar
XxcrosscountrygirlxX
Just Because
alex-likes-running
Adonai
BA_Sadie.
thelagwagon
T B K
Phuckduck
baby got track
21 posters

Obesity

xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 640
    Mile Time : 6:13
    Class : Senior
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Obesity - Page 2 Empty Re: Obesity

Post by xc_babe09 Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:33 pm

i dont have a choice we dont have healthy food at my house and we always go out. its not like i buy my own food now.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:46 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:i dont have a choice we dont have healthy food at my house and we always go out. its not like i buy my own food now.

You do have a choice. Go out an buy healthy foods and don't subject yourself to getting fat.
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by xc_babe09 Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 pm

once i get a job ill buy more healthy foods we dont have the money to buy more food.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by hxc Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:08 pm

ATribeCalledGreg wrote:I almost died last year while sitting in one of my classes. The teacher is a very heavy woman and I was freezing. I asked her if I could go over to the thermostat and turn up the heat and she yelled at me saying it was already hot in there.

A friend of mine who felt my pain looked over and said, "Well we all don't have 7 layers of fat keeping us warm."

He was written up, but it was worth it.

There's one huge teacher at our middle school, and one day she started flipping out. She was screaming at one kid and another kid yelled: "Holy shit, Moby Dicks going crazy! Man the harpoons!!"

The teacher picked up a desk and threatened to clobber him with it. He got suspended for a week, she got suspended for a month.

Another story-

On a class trip to DC, one of the chaperons was HUGE. On the bus on the way there I could hear her talking about how she was on a huge epic diet and how she was gonna lose tons of weight.
    The next day at breakfast in the hotel she had like 5 donuts 4 muffins a bagel and some 4% chocolate milk. And she's a nurse for crying out loud.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:09 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:once i get a job ill buy more healthy foods we dont have the money to buy more food.

What do you mean healthy food? What's cheaper than fruit, rice, lean meat and water?
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:11 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:we mostly eat fastfood but i dislike doing it all the time cuz i know its so bad for me. im more health conscious than my parents just because im athletic and i know that what i put in my body needs to be good for me but they dont care. we do get v8 and i usually get cliff bars cuz they are mostly organic. i cant wait to buy my own food so i can get healthier stuff.

Are you telling me you have no healthy food in your house? I guarantee you have a lot more than you think.
    xc_babe09
    xc_babe09
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by xc_babe09 Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:16 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    xc_babe09 wrote:we mostly eat fastfood but i dislike doing it all the time cuz i know its so bad for me. im more health conscious than my parents just because im athletic and i know that what i put in my body needs to be good for me but they dont care. we do get v8 and i usually get cliff bars cuz they are mostly organic. i cant wait to buy my own food so i can get healthier stuff.

Are you telling me you have no healthy food in your house? I guarantee you have a lot more than you think.

you would say that but its not true. trust me.
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by Just Because Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:29 pm

HXC_Runner2012 wrote:
    ATribeCalledGreg wrote:I almost died last year while sitting in one of my classes. The teacher is a very heavy woman and I was freezing. I asked her if I could go over to the thermostat and turn up the heat and she yelled at me saying it was already hot in there.

A friend of mine who felt my pain looked over and said, "Well we all don't have 7 layers of fat keeping us warm."

He was written up, but it was worth it.

There's one huge teacher at our middle school, and one day she started flipping out. She was screaming at one kid and another kid yelled: "Holy shit, Moby Dicks going crazy! Man the harpoons!!"

Rofl

I don't have a problem with fat people because it seems everyone is fat nowadays. I just don't think we should have to pay for their operations when they get sick from over-eating.
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Post by hxc Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:32 pm

xc_babe09 wrote:
    HXC_Runner2012 wrote:

you would say that but its not true. trust me.

Healthy food isn't always "health food". Whole grain bread? Whole grain rice? As long as it doesn't say "enriched", it's usually reasonably healthy. For the past week I've had whole grain rice and tea for lunch. I've lost 3 pounds, I feel better, and my running has improved.
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    NotChangingUntilSub5
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 653
    Mile Time : Cashier
    Class : HARD FUCKING CORE
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by NotChangingUntilSub5 Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:09 pm

I love fat people.

More cushion for the pushin', that is what I always say.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman

Post by runner_dude Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 pm

thelagwagon wrote:Let the fat people be fat. People really shouldn't need to be told that it's unhealthy to be fat, but I agree with greg that society is becoming to accomodating towards them.

What's criminal is that in NZ we have universal healthcare, so you have to pay 39% income tax and 12.5% sales tax so that these fat asses can get operations which are thier own dam fault. Nothing pisses me off more. Same with smokers, we have to pay billions a year to cure people of cancer who asked for it. Hold onto private healthcare while you can!

+1. Except we have up to 47% income tax and 13% sales tax.

That said, I don't think private health care is the answer. What we need is something along the lines of a fat tax. However much you weight over a certain BMI, you have to pay more (with exceptions for lean mass, as noted by Body Fat Percentage.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm

runner_dude wrote:
    thelagwagon wrote:Let the fat people be fat. People really shouldn't need to be told that it's unhealthy to be fat, but I agree with greg that society is becoming to accomodating towards them.

What's criminal is that in NZ we have universal healthcare, so you have to pay 39% income tax and 12.5% sales tax so that these fat asses can get operations which are thier own dam fault. Nothing pisses me off more. Same with smokers, we have to pay billions a year to cure people of cancer who asked for it. Hold onto private healthcare while you can!

That said, I don't think private health care is the answer. What we need is something along the lines of a fat tax. However much you weight over a certain BMI, you have to pay more (with exceptions for lean mass, as noted by Body Fat Percentage.
    What about druggies and daredevils?
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Post by runner_dude Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:21 pm

FK wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:

What about druggies and daredevils?

Druggies are slightly different, addiction to drugs is stronger than food (most of the time). Half the time the daredevils kill themselves in the process, and fixing a broken arm is a lot cheaper then heart disease + cancer + arthritis + diabedes (sp?)
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 358
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Post by *sg* Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:21 pm

I don't think that my parents qualify as obese yet, but they're definately overweight. what bugs me is that they don't seem to care. They keep making brownies and cookies and junkfood and eating it. It's one thing to be fat... it's another thing to be fat and still eat a ton of junkfood.

And I'm not really fat, but I love food and lack self control so I get really ticked off when they keep making brownies and buying ice cream and being like "oh, want some more food!?!? Another brownie? Have more ice cream... I know you want it!!" and I'm like, are you trying to screw me over??!? I could resist it if they didn't wave it under my nose. The problem is that they don't care anymore. They've already let themselves go. Sometimes my mom talks about losing weight, but then she goes and makes cookie dough or something stupid and I'm like if you wanted to lose weight, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT??!?!? explosive if you wantto be fat, fine with me, just don't bring me down too!
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364

Post by BagoXC25 Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:44 pm

runner_dude wrote:

Health insurance is more expensive for obese people, so they are already paying the toll.
    runnr4life877
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by runnr4life877 Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 am

For anyone that has seen "WALL-E", I believe with the way our society is turning out, the lifestyle of humans in "WALL-E" is becoming more and more accurate.
    thelagwagon
    thelagwagon
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by thelagwagon Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 am

runner_dude wrote:

Hmm, I don't think that's fair. Forcing people to pay more tax just because they are fat isn't fair, people should be free to be fat without being FORCED (by tax) to pay for it. Let them make thier own decisions, they will realize that if they want health insurance, they will have to pay higher premiums, which is a lot more fair then forcing them to pay a fat tax.

And holy moly, 47%, where do you live?!
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Post by runner_dude Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 am

thelagwagon wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:

Hmm, I don't think that's fair. Forcing people to pay more tax just because they are fat isn't fair, people should be free to be fat without being FORCED (by tax) to pay for it. Let them make thier own decisions, they will realize that if they want health insurance, they will have to pay higher premiums, which is a lot more fair then forcing them to pay a fat tax.

And holy moly, 47%, where do you live?!

I live in Canada, that's the highest tax bracket, you only pay 47% on your earnings over roughly $100k.

I fully believe in the public heath care system. For Profit healthcare has too many problems, that I don't want my country to go that way (not that it would anyway). But for example with smoking, cigarettes are taxed almost ad absurdum, but most of that tax goes to the healthcare system to pay for the costs of the smoker's heathcare needs. Obesidy is the same way, but it's harder to put a tax on one thing to pay for the costs.
    thelagwagon
    thelagwagon
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by thelagwagon Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 am

runner_dude wrote:I fully believe in the public heath care system. For Profit healthcare has too many problems, that I don't want my country to go that way (not that it would anyway). But for example with smoking, cigarettes are taxed almost ad absurdum, but most of that tax goes to the healthcare system to pay for the costs of the smoker's heathcare needs. Obesidy is the same way, but it's harder to put a tax on one thing to pay for the costs.

I don't, it punishes people for being healthy (high tax and huge waiting lists) and rewards people for being fatasses. I don't smoke ciggarettes, and I'm not overweight. But with public health system, I (aka my parents Wink ) have to pay for people who smoke ciggarettes and are severely overweight. It's unavoidable with public health. If health was fully privitized, then people would only have to be responsible for themselves. People who live a healthy lifestyle would have more cash. Also, if people realized they have to pay a lot more money in health insurance for smoking and being obese, that would be extra motivation for them to quit smoking/do exercise. Everyone wins except the people who don't deserve to.
    RUNxxWILD07
    RUNxxWILD07
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 995
    Registration date : 2008-06-18

Post by RUNxxWILD07 Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:28 am

yeah, i hate when fat people try to make other people fat, just cause you are that is selfish to try to get others fat too.
    Grimmest
    Grimmest
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 52

Post by Grimmest Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am

I don't think the nation needs as much a "fat tax" persay, as a tax on unhealthy foods. If the government actually proposed a fat tax, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (yes that actually is an organization) would have a cow (because it discriminates against people with "slow metabolisms"), and it never would work.

However, if a tax was placed on high trans fat and high calorie foods, much like the smoking tax, this would help to fund the healthcare these people require, and would provide a handy incentive for people to not eat bad food. All in all, a win-win situation.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54

Post by BA_Sadie. Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:01 am

that would be sweet if we had a big tax on fatty food.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:23 pm