Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+3
funrunner
FinishingKick
AudienceOfOne
7 posters

My angry email to Focus On The Family

AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

My angry email to Focus On The Family Empty My angry email to Focus On The Family

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:28 pm

waiting for a reaponse back from them. here's the message.

So last week, someone told me about how Dr. Dobson was getting into politics and what he was saying about Obama. At the time I didn't think too much about it.

So, I woke up this morning to Dobson bashing Matthew 25 Ministries for putting a pro-Obama ad up. It was only a matter of time. When religious leaders like Dr. Dobson get involved in politics, it's only matter of time before drama starts. Christians should not be involved in drama.

We have a God- given mission, and drama isn't part of it. Keep going the way you're going, and this is going to be like getting in a civil war in the middle of a real war. In my humble opinion, FOTF should not have gotten involved in politics. Jesus didn't. So who are you working for?

You? Use drama to get your name around?

Political leaders? Christian leaders should not publicly get into it anyway.

God? Doesn't seem like it.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

My angry email to Focus On The Family Empty Re: My angry email to Focus On The Family

Post by FinishingKick Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:waiting for a reaponse back from them. here's the message.

So last week, someone told me about how Dr. Dobson was getting into politics and what he was saying about Obama. At the time I didn't think too much about it.

So, I woke up this morning to Dobson bashing Matthew 25 Ministries for putting a pro-Obama ad up. It was only a matter of time. When religious leaders like Dr. Dobson get involved in politics, it's only matter of time before drama starts. Christians should not be involved in drama.

We have a God- given mission, and drama isn't part of it. Keep going the way you're going, and this is going to be like getting in a civil war in the middle of a real war. In my humble opinion, FOTF should not have gotten involved in politics. Jesus didn't. So who are you working for?

You? Use drama to get your name around?

Political leaders? Christian leaders should not publicly get into it anyway.

God? Doesn't seem like it.
    I don't know about the part about getting publicity, but McCain would do a lot more for the church than Obama.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

My angry email to Focus On The Family Empty Re: My angry email to Focus On The Family

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Rolling Eyes

the biggest help that a political leader could do for the church would to mainly stay out of it (i'm all for supporting christian polititians, but when stuff starts happening like with obama, wright, and FOTF, they need to step out of the way and let God lead them), because it just caues drama.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:06 am

i got a response.....
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:06 am

here it is....

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Dr. Dobson’s recent comments, made during a Focus on the Family Action radio broadcast, about Senator Barack Obama. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to the concerns you expressed.

With this in mind, we want to point out that there are a *significant* number of individuals who continue to care deeply about defending the sanctity of human life, preserving the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman, and upholding religious liberties. It is important to establish that there is still a vast populace in America that is steadfastly committed to evaluating all candidates for office based on these core convictions. Rather than allowing the media and others to marginalize our views, we must speak out with renewed energy for those principles that are enduring and which our country abandons at its peril.

While many of the isses we discuss have political overtones, Dr. Dobson believes that they are essentially moral in character. We believe that our witness for Christ in society will be incomplete – and irrelevant – if we fail to speak and act pointedly with regard to the specific ills and evils of our time. As the apostle Paul says, “Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them” (Ephesians 5:11).

Again, thanks for writing. We trust this response has clarified our viewpoint on this matter. Grace and peace to you!

Amy Campbell
    Focus on the Family Action
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am

is it just me, or are they calling Obama evil?
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am

They're calling him immoral, which is very true.
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by funrunner Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 am

I hate FOTF. Dobson's a nut.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am

i don't know a whole lot about that, but I DO know that they should still stay out of politics.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am

funrunner wrote:I hate FOTF. Dobson's a nut.
    thank you! +1
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by funrunner Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:42 am

I hate it when issues like gay marriage get more attention than other real issues like the economy and the war. It's pretty stupid.
    Trackaholic
    Trackaholic
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 422

Post by Trackaholic Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am

I agree that politics should not shape or influence religon in any way whatsoever.
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by funrunner Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 am

Separation of church and state FTMFW!
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 am

funrunner wrote:Separation of church and state FTMFW!
    a lot of times that is taken out of proportion.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like candidates who actually care about human life.
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 358
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Post by *sg* Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:54 pm

There is a huge difference between morals and religion. Although religion almost always covers morals, morals exist without religion. Religion should not be part of politics, but this does not mean that politicians should not be moral. They simply should not ever mention their religious beliefs. If they are against something because it is against their morals, that's fine, just don't defend your ideas with religious explanations.

FK- I agree it's good for candidates to care about things like that, but they shouldn't need to revert to religion to explain why.

At the same time, a religious group as a whole should stay out of politics. You should decide for yourself who you're going to vote for, don't let your religious leaders decide for you.

wow, that was long and probably didn't make any sense. sorry! Rolling Eyes
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:56 pm

*sg* wrote:There is a huge difference between morals and religion. Although religion almost always covers morals, morals exist without religion. Religion should not be part of politics, but this does not mean that politicians should not be moral. They simply should not ever mention their religious beliefs. If they are against something because it is against their morals, that's fine, just don't defend your ideas with religious explanations.

FK- I agree it's good for candidates to care about things like that, but they shouldn't need to revert to religion to explain why.

At the same time, a religious group as a whole should stay out of politics. You should decide for yourself who you're going to vote for, don't let your religious leaders decide for you.

+10 I agree completely.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 pm

*sg* wrote:There is a huge difference between morals and religion. Although religion almost always covers morals, morals exist without religion. Religion should not be part of politics, but this does not mean that politicians should not be moral. They simply should not ever mention their religious beliefs. If they are against something because it is against their morals, that's fine, just don't defend your ideas with religious explanations.

i agree, but i do think tha polititians should say what religion they are, but they shouldn't go crazy about it because then it seems like they're simply just trying to get more votes.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010

Post by Pinthin Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:58 pm

funrunner wrote:I hate it when issues like gay marriage get more attention than other real issues like the economy and the war. It's pretty stupid.

agreed. That drives me nuts!
    May As Well Run
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by May As Well Run Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Religion shouldn't matter unless the candidate's stance is to create a theocracy or create laws based on a religouse cause.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 am