Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+11
BagoXC25
hxc
eternally_running
AudienceOfOne
CT Track
baby got track
*sg*
runnergirl93
Pinthin
TnF_T
The Riddler
15 posters

2nd Hand Smoke, the Myth

The Riddler
    The Riddler
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 340
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

2nd Hand Smoke, the Myth Empty 2nd Hand Smoke, the Myth

Post by The Riddler Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Summary
    If you are in a room with people smoking almost little or none of that toxon or posion will enter your system. If you sat in a room with people smoking for a year you would only consume 3 cigarettes. Wait so we only consume less than .1 a year so how is that leadable to lung cancer. Then it says studys show no relation to SHS to lung cancer at all.

This is taken from another debate site.

The general public has been told for years, that 2nd hand smoke (SHS) is harmful, causes cancer, is a great concern for society, etc... It's propaganda. Nazi Germany's Paul Joseph Goebbles said it best...

"If repeated often enough, a lie will become the new truth."
    Paul Joseph Goebbles, Minister of Propaganda, Nazi Germany

The problem we see with this lie, is that it has affected the legal system. It's absurd, based on lies and horrible research, and the general public is none-the-wiser. That SHS is harmful to warrant such attention and legal action, is the result of lies, misinformation, propaganda, and junk science.

"Mere exposure does not equate to toxicity; it's the dose that makes the poison." - Basic principle of toxicology

"If you were to be strapped down on a surgical table while four guys exhaled smoke directly into your mouth and nostrils for thirty years, you might get lung cancer forty years after they stopped--but it's not likely. - from article linked below

Let's get started with the facts, shall we?

In December of 1992 the EPA released it's now famous report on second hand smoke. The report claimed that SHS causes 3,000 deaths a year, and classified it as a class A carcinogen.

Is SHS really deadly? Let's examine the facts carefully.

Fact: In 1993 the EPA issued a report which claimed that Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) caused 3,000 deaths per year.

Fact: ETS is commonly referred to as Second Hand Smoke (SHS). The two terms are interchangeable.

Fact: The EPA announced the results of the study before it was finished.

Fact: The study was a Meta Analysis, an analysis of existing studies.

Meta Analysis is very difficult to do accurately, and is the easiest kind of study to fake and manipulate. With a disease as rare as lung cancer, leaving out just a few important studies can skew the results considerably.

The term "Meta Study" is often used to describe this type of report, but the word "study" is inaccurate. The EPA has never conducted nor financed a single ETS study. They have only analyzed the studies of others. It is more accurate to refer to it as an analysis, and to its publication as a report.

Fact: The first step in a meta analysis is identifying all of the relevant studies. The EPA located 33 studies that compared ETS exposure to lung cancer rates.

Fact: The EPA selected 31 of the 33 studies. Later they rejected one of their chosen studies, bringing the total to 30.

Fact: On page 3-46 of the report the EPA estimates, based on nicotine measurements in non-smokers blood, "this would translate to the equivalent of about one-fifth of a cigarette per day."

Fact: Studies that measured actual exposure by having non-smokers wear monitors indicate even this low estimate is exaggerated. Actual exposure (for people who live and/or work in smoky environments) is about six cigarettes per year. (See also the study by Oak Ridge National Laboratories.)

Fact: In 1995 The Congressional Research Service (CRS) released a review of the EPA report. The CRS was highly critical of both the EPA's methods and conclusions.

Fact: According to the CRS "The studies relied primarily on questionnaires to the case and control members, or their surrogates, the determine EST exposure and other information pertinent to the studies." In other words, some of the information was unverified hearsay.

Fact: The CRS pointed out that "from a group of 30 studies, six found a statistically significant (but small) effect, 24 found no statistically significant effect and six of the 24 found a passive smoking effect opposite to the expected relationship."

Fact: Three other large US studies were in progress during the EPA's study. The EPA used data from one uncompleted study, the Fontham study, and ignored the other two, Brownson and Kabat.

Fact: The Fontham study showed a small increase in risk. The CRS report referred to it as "a positive risk that was barely statistically significant." (p. 25)

Fact: The CRS report said the Brownson study, which the EPA ignored, showed "no risk at all." (p.25)

Fact: The "scientists" who conducted the Fontham study refused to release their raw data for years. Philip Morris recently won a lawsuit to gain access to it.

Most researchers routinely make their raw data available after studies have been published. Does Fontham's refusal to make the data available make them more credible, or less credible?

Fact: The EPA based their numbers on a meta analysis of just 11 studies. The analysis showed no increase in risk at the 95% confidence level.

Fact: Even after excluding most of the studies, the EPA couldn't come up with 3,000 deaths, but they had already announced the results. So they doubled their margin of error. Let me repeat that, because it may seem hard to believe: After failing to achieve their pre-announced results by ignoring half of the data, they doubled their margin of error!

Would any legitimate epidemiologist keep their job if they were caught doubling their margin of error to support a pre-announced conclusion?

Fact: After juggling the numbers, The EPA came up with an RR (Relative Risk) of ETS causing lung cancer 1.19. In layman's terms that means:
    Exposure to the ETS from a spouse increases the risk of getting lung cancer by 19%.
    Where you'd usually see 100 cases of cancer you'd see 119.
    Fact: A RR of less than 2.0 is usually written off as and insignificant result, most likely to be due to error or bias. An RR of 3.0 or higher is considered desirable.

Facts: In review: The EPA ignored nearly two-thirds of the data. The EPA then doubled their margin of error to come up with their desired results. Even with all this manipulation, the numbers are still far too low to be considered statistically significant

Fact: Although the EPA declared ETS was a Class A carcinogen with an RR of 1.19, in analysis of other agents they found relative risks of 2.6 and 3.0 insufficient to justify a Group A classification.

Fact: In 1998 Judge William Osteen vacated the study - declaring it null and void after extensively commentating on the shoddy way it was conducted. His decision was 92 pages long.

Fact: Osteen used the term "cherry-picking" to describe he way the EPA selected their data. "First, there is evidence in the record supporting the accusation that EPA "cherry picked" its data. Without criteria for pooling studies into a meta- analysis, the court cannot determine whether the exclusion of studies likely to disprove EPA's a priori hypothesis was coincidence or intentional. Second, EPA's excluding nearly half of the available studies directly conflicts with EPA's purported purpose for analyzing the epidemiological studies and conflicts with EPA's Risk Assessment Guidelines."

Fact: Osteen found other deep flaws in the the EPA's methodology. In his judgment he stated: "The record and EPA's explanations to the court make it clear that using standard methodology, EPA could not produce statistically significant results with its selected studies. Analysis conducted with a .05 significance level and 95% confidence level included relative risks of 1. Accordingly, these results did not confirm EPA's controversial a priori hypothesis. In order to confirm its hypothesis, EPA maintained its standard significance level but lowered the confidence interval to 90%. This allowed EPA to confirm its hypothesis by finding a relative risk of 1.19, albeit a very weak association. EPA's conduct raises several concerns besides whether a relative risk of 1.19 is credible evidence supporting a Group A classification. First, with such a weak showing, if even a fraction of Plaintiffs' allegations regarding study selection or methodology is true, EPA cannot show a statistically significant association between ETS and lung cancer."

Sources:
    PASSIVE SMOKE - Junk Science
    Second-Hand Smokescreens
    The EPA Report - The Facts
    Health Canada, Breast Cancer and Second-Hand Smoke
    The Second-Hand Smoke Charade
    Junkscience.com - Second-Hand Science
    Skepticism.net - Second Hand Smoke
    NCPA - Up In Smoke
    Washington Times: Second-hand science
    Second-hand Smoke Screen
    The WHO Scandal: WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative
    The Facts

Last edited by King of Sting on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
    TnF_T
    TnF_T
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 323
    Mile Time : 431 in a snowy, windy, hurricane like storm, up hill, blindfolded, after 3 big macs and didn't try
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

2nd Hand Smoke, the Myth Empty Re: 2nd Hand Smoke, the Myth

Post by TnF_T Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Who in their right minds would read all that crap. Make it less than 100 words then i'll read it
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

I have a really short attention span ... so yeahhh
    runnergirl93
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 534
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55

Post by runnergirl93 Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

i dont have enough ambition to read all of that. i might as well begin on my summer reading if im going to..
    The Riddler
    The Riddler
    Pro
    Pro

Post by The Riddler Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Summary up there everyone
    *sg*
    *sg*
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 358
    Registration date : 2008-06-27

Post by *sg* Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 pm

ummm, second hand smoke may not kill you but it's definately not good for you. Remember that not all smokers get lung cancer/ die from it either. But that doesn't mean that smoking isn't bad for you.

Regardless, I don't like the smell and it makes me cough.
    baby got track
    baby got track
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2211
    Class : 2011
    5000m XC Time : 22:42
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by baby got track Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:26 pm

good posting
    Just because it may not be as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I still am going to avoid it because I don't like it.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 pm

1 too long

2 I don't really enjoy being around cigarettes anyways. I could care less about cancer. Way I see it we're gonna get cancer in some form in our lives anyways.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 pm

i read 3/4, yea for me!!!!

how do we know this isn't BS spread by tobacco companies?
    The Riddler
    The Riddler
    Pro
    Pro

Post by The Riddler Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:i read 3/4, yea for me!!!!

how do we know this isn't BS spread by tobacco companies?
    I don't know actually I just saw this and thought it was intresting.
    Probably is propaganda but the goverment could be feeding us false info.
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:39 pm

sorry, too long
    hxc
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1220
    Class : '12

Post by hxc Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:05 pm

What would be the point of telling us that second hand smoke is harmful if it isn't?
    This is obviously just propaganda from the cigarette companies, just like that thing where the sugar companies made a website all about how bad splenda is for you, and that it has a variation of chlorine in it. In tests the chlorine type substance was found to be absolutely harmless.
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BagoXC25 Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:59 pm

I smoked 2 cigars today Razz
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by Running With Scissors Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:19 pm

1. The tabacco companies make so much money that they can make other companies whos soul job is to make up bs facts to make people by their stuff.

2. I hate being somewhere where people smoke because my clothes then smell like shit.

3. I don't like you.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:48 pm

second hand smoke is bad for you. a website doesn't mean anything

case in point: http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/holohoax.htm
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 pm

+1 to sourworms
    xotrackkgirl
    xotrackkgirl
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1023
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by xotrackkgirl Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 pm

TnF_T wrote:Who in their right minds would read all that crap. Make it less than 100 words then i'll read it

ahahah ! !
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1376
    Mile Time : Used Bicycle
    Class : Dyestat....BAHAHAHAHA

Post by P2 Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:25 am

second hand smoke leads to lung cancer..

thats all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:47 am