Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+32
T B K
runlikethawind
5280ft
XC_crazy
hannah
OHXC_girl
whenhen
futureNIKErunner
XCTrackXC
spartanrunner
Kugar
Tri Babe 518
iWearNikes
Ria
amherst_xc
eternally_running
alex-likes-running
Through_the_Pain
Lily
BA_Sadie.
baby got track
P2
Pinthin
Phuckduck
xc_babe09
calrunner
CT Track
Wgrt
FinishingKick
thelagwagon
runner_dude
Love For Running
36 posters

Colleges!

XC_crazy
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 820
    Mile Time : 5:44
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:32
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Colleges! - Page 3 Empty Re: Colleges!

Post by XC_crazy Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 am

I'll probably just go to a college in north dakota.
    NDSU and UND are the "big" colleges but I think I'd rather go to a smaller college.
    Jamestown, Dickinson(my sister goes to college there), and University of Mary are kind of places I want to go to since there all small colleges and aren't too close to home.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 am

XC_crazy wrote:I'll probably just go to a college in north dakota.
    NDSU and UND are the "big" colleges but I think I'd rather go to a smaller college.
    Jamestown, Dickinson(my sister goes to college there), and University of Mary are kind of places I want to go to since there all small colleges and aren't too close to home.

my dad went to UND..30 years later they still call us about giving them money..haha
    XC_crazy
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 820
    Mile Time : 5:44
    800m Time : 2:32
    Registration date : 2008-05-25

Post by XC_crazy Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:59 am

Pinthin wrote:
    XC_crazy wrote:I'll probably just go to a college in north dakota.

my dad went to UND..30 years later they still call us about giving them money..haha

haha
    there's usually quite a few kids from my school who go to UND. I think it's because it's a party school.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:05 am

Pinthin wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    Pinthin wrote:I kind of hate how West oast colleges are always forgotten about, and underrated.

I keep changing my mind on colleges.
    So far its something like
    U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    Western Washington u <-- huge hippie school..haha
    and Colorado state

But I dont want to pay out of state because those prices are insane. UNLESS I get scholarships but I'm white and average. haha

yeah...UW isn't exact underrated or forgotten. and the rest of those schools aren't anything special.

west coast schools are definitely not underrated...UC system, Stanford, Claremont Schools, Caltech, USC...

I wasn't talking about UW I'm quite aware it gets deserved attention. If you ever read the Princeton review it seems to ignore west coast colleges.

bahhhhhhh

i'm pretty sure all the school's i named are consistantly ranked very high, i.e. Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford...
    5280ft
    5280ft
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 375
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by 5280ft Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 am

Pinthin wrote:I kind of hate how West oast colleges are always forgotten about, and underrated.

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

But I dont want to pay out of state because those prices are insane. UNLESS I get scholarships but I'm white and average. haha

I've considered Western, it is the only one in Washington that I would want to go to. Unless I could somehow get on the UW team, then I might consider it. I really want to go out of state, I'd rather not have anyone from my high school go to the same college. I've also considered Colorado state and university of colorado, but I heard they are big on partying.

Others- Adams State, Amherst, Montana State, with my dream school being Dartmouth and maybe Yale, Harvard or Princeton, but I'd never be able to get in.

Even though I named a bunch, I don't really want to go to a state school. And I will probably run, especially if they give me money.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:21 am

5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

I've considered Western, it is the only one in Washington that I would want to go to. Unless I could somehow get on the UW team, then I might consider it. I really want to go out of state, I'd rather not have anyone from my high school go to the same college. I've also considered Colorado state and university of colorado, but I heard they are big on partying.

Others- Adams State, Amherst, Montana State, with my dream school being Dartmouth and maybe Yale, Harvard or Princeton, but I'd never be able to get in.

Even though I named a bunch, I don't really want to go to a state school. And I will probably run, especially if they give me money.

are you gonna run 1:52/4:10/9:15? if not, you won't get money from anyone
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 pm

5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

Same, I'm not too hip on most of wa schools besides UW, Western or Gonzaga (but I dont want to go there) and I'd really like to at least consider Colorado state but my mom freaks out when I bring it up.. Neutral lamee I know.

I Think you could get on the team, your times from what I remember are good. The very least you could be a walk on. My friend made it as a walk on for the 400 and high jump, and she was just decent..
    5280ft
    5280ft
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 375
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by 5280ft Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:20 pm

AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

I'm a girl...

And times don't have to be too brilliant to get some money at a smaller d1 or d2 school. Obviously I'm not expecting money to run for UW. A girl with much slower times than my own has been offered money.

Last edited by 5280ft on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
    runlikethawind
    runlikethawind
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 97
    Class : 2011
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

Post by runlikethawind Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 pm

my dads a doctor and went to michigan
    my moms a doctor and went to michigan
    my grandpas a doctor and went to michignan
    my aunts a doctor and went to michigan
    so i guess i have no choice Razz
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:35 pm

AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    TRI_Love_518 wrote:My dream school is Stanford. I'm not gonna run there (not like I ever could) but they do have a practicing tri team and it's in California, which is the best state for tris.

My second choice would be Northwestern, University of Chicago, Dartmouth, Wash. U and maybe Michigan.

Stanford is an awesome school. i love it there, honestly some of the best people in the world. its easily one of the hardest schools in the nation to get into because its the biggest crapshoot in the world. hopefully you're really lucky because not even a 4.6 with a 36 ACT will get you in. but a 3.7 with a 28 ACT might
    +1, Stanford is awesome.
    Tri Babe 518
    Tri Babe 518
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Tri Babe 518 Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 pm

XCTrackXC wrote:
    TRI_Love_518 wrote:My dream school is Stanford. I'm not gonna run there (not like I ever could) but they do have a practicing tri team and it's in California, which is the best state for tris.

My second choice would be Northwestern, University of Chicago, Dartmouth, Wash. U and maybe Michigan.
    I've been thinking about this for a long time now and decided these'd be my top choices:

My first choice would be Stanford as well, but it's like 200000000000 miles a way and I can't imagine traveling that far, even if I got in.
    After that the University of Chicago, which I stand a much better chance of getting into and is only like 20 miles away.
    And my third choice is the University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
    I haven't thought of anywhere else yet, but I still have a good chunk of time to think about it all.

My dad and my brother went to University of Illinois. So I guess it's always open for me. Stanford is ridiculous to get in to, but I got an admissions talk this summer because I went to a camp there, so they told us what they're looking for, although it varies. I think there's a better chance you'll get in if you're different than everyone else even if your scores are lower. They're not looking for half of the people that think they'll get in just because they do every extracurricular and have stellar scores. They want people who have one thing that they love and are good at. Triathlon for me Smile
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 pm

TRI_Love_518 wrote:
    XCTrackXC wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a long time now and decided these'd be my top choices:

My first choice would be Stanford as well, but it's like 200000000000 miles a way and I can't imagine traveling that far, even if I got in.
    After that the University of Chicago, which I stand a much better chance of getting into and is only like 20 miles away.
    And my third choice is the University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
    I haven't thought of anywhere else yet, but I still have a good chunk of time to think about it all.

My dad and my brother went to University of Illinois. So I guess it's always open for me. Stanford is ridiculous to get in to, but I got an admissions talk this summer because I went to a camp there, so they told us what they're looking for, although it varies. I think there's a better chance you'll get in if you're different than everyone else even if your scores are lower. They're not looking for half of the people that think they'll get in just because they do every extracurricular and have stellar scores. They want people who have one thing that they love and are good at. Triathlon for me Smile

they don't care about triathletes unfortunately...

and did you go to the running camp? if you did, you probably met me
    OHXC_girl
    OHXC_girl
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 27
    Mile Time : 5:34
    Class : 2009!
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by OHXC_girl Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 am

Pinthin wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

Same, I'm not too hip on most of wa schools besides UW, Western or Gonzaga (but I dont want to go there) and I'd really like to at least consider Colorado state but my mom freaks out when I bring it up.. Neutral lamee I know.

I Think you could get on the team, your times from what I remember are good. The very least you could be a walk on. My friend made it as a walk on for the 400 and high jump, and she was just decent..

i don't want to go to gonzaga either. i was thinking about whitworth for a little bit, but i had no reason to go there because they didn't have the program i want.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 am

What are your SAT scores?

Last edited by FinishingKick on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Love For Running Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:38 pm

5280ft wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

I'm a girl...

And times don't have to be too brilliant to get some money at a smaller d1 or d2 school. Obviously I'm not expecting money to run for UW. A girl with much slower times than my own has been offered money.

Your probably right but be careful with assumptions because I was 99% sure Id be able to walk on at my number 1 school if I got in (which I did) but when I e-mailed the coaches they said that I need an 11:30-3200 and a 5:15-1600 even to walk-on. I know this is a D-1 school but that seems a bit ridiculous considering there are only 3 seniors in our state that can do those times, and 2 of them are not going there. Im hoping I can get closer to these times during track and maybe he will allow me to walk-on even if they arent quite there.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Love For Running wrote:
    5280ft wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

I'm a girl...

Your probably right but be careful with assumptions because I was 99% sure Id be able to walk on at my number 1 school if I got in (which I did) but when I e-mailed the coaches they said that I need an 11:30-3200 and a 5:15-1600 even to walk-on. I know this is a D-1 school but that seems a bit ridiculous considering there are only 3 seniors in our state that can do those times, and 2 of them are not going there. Im hoping I can get closer to these times during track and maybe he will allow me to walk-on even if they arent quite there.

well while there might be only a few girls in your state, there are hundreds in california that can, and a D1 school recruits from all around the nation.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Pinthin Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 pm

OHXC_girl wrote:
    Pinthin wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

i don't want to go to gonzaga either. i was thinking about whitworth for a little bit, but i had no reason to go there because they didn't have the program i want.

My problem is I'm not sure what I want to do, which makes it a tad harder to pick a college.
    I always seem to change my mind =/
    Love For Running
    Love For Running
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 156
    Mile Time : 5:41
    Class : 09!
    5000m XC Time : 19:33
    Registration date : 2008-06-25

Post by Love For Running Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:55 pm

AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    Love For Running wrote:
    5280ft wrote:
    AudeinceOfOne wrote:
    5280ft wrote:

U of W
    Lewis and Clark
    and Colorado state

I'm a girl...

well while there might be only a few girls in your state, there are hundreds in california that can, and a D1 school recruits from all around the nation.

yea, i guess thats true
    rlk_117
    rlk_117
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 59
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:46
    5000m XC Time : 22:45

Post by rlk_117 Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 am

I applied to Georgia Tech, Colorado School of Mines, Cornell, Rensselaer, Johns Hopkins, and Cooper Union (ED). I got accepted so far to GT. CSM, and Cooper Union Smile so I'll be there, since it was ED. (In case you haven't heard of it...which basically nobody has, it's a tiny engineering school in Manhattan.) They don't have a track team Sad but they do have XC!
    njrunner14
    njrunner14
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 58
    Class : 2010!
    5000m XC Time : 19:08
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

Post by njrunner14 Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 am

I'm a junior so I have a little while, but I'm thinking about Shippensburg and University of Richmond right now. I really want to run in college so I'm working hard to improve my times. My track coach knows Ship's coach so that's good I guess haha.
    I don't want to go to Div-III school just because I know they really don't give out athletic scholarships, and my grades aren't too amazing so I doubt I'd get one. Neutral
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 am

From what I've seen isn't Ship really really good?
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:25 am

And you won't get an athletic scholarship from a D-I unless you get faster.
    calrunner
    calrunner
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 28
    Class : 2009 (Seniors)
    800m Time : 2:17
    5000m XC Time : 18:09
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by calrunner Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 pm

I applied to the ucla, berkeley, and 3 other uc's, and now I'm just waiting on admissions. At Ucla, my friend's roommate runs a sub-4:30 mile, and only got on the team as an alternate.
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by Phuckduck Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 pm

calrunner wrote:I applied to the ucla, berkeley, and 3 other uc's, and now I'm just waiting on admissions. At Ucla, my friend's roommate runs a sub-4:30 mile, and only got on the team as an alternate.

admissions got cut by 2,300 this year...it hella sucks

i would be surprised to get into ucla and berkeley frankly, much less run on their team. i am pretty sure i will get into UCSD and UCSC however.

and 4:30 at UCLA is terrible...i'm surprised he's even an alternate. a couple of my friends go there or have gone there and they all did like 4:10-4:15 and around 9:00-9:10 in high school
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Post by FinishingKick Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

You should still apply to some other schools.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 pm