Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+15
Hurdle-Gurl
Tri Babe 518
Running With Scissors
whenhen
Just Because
amherst_xc
alex-likes-running
runner4life92
AudienceOfOne
CT Track
5280ft
runnergirl93
Pinthin
BA_Sadie.
XCTrackXC
19 posters

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless? - Page 2 Empty Re: Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Post by Pinthin Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm

XCTrackXC wrote:So I have been doing a project related to this since October. I've been counting the number of racist/sexist/etc remarks, stereotypes, jokes, etc I hear other students and teachers say (and counting them in the media, but that hasn't been as interesting/surprising), as well as whether or not somebody (a teacher or student) addresses it (calls them out on it).

The categories I'm tracking are:
    -Arabic/Muslism (combined because there was so much gray area between the two)
    -Hispanic
    -Asian
    -African American
    -Other Ethnic Groups
    -Jewish
    -Non-Mainstream Religion (i.e. scientology, I don't know any others off the top of my head, so...)
    -Other Religious Groups (i.e. hinduism, budhism, christianity)
    -Homosexual Male
    -Homosexual Female
    -Neutral Homosexual (when it's not clear if the word 'gay', 'fag', 'homo', etc are suppose to apply to a guy or girl)
    -Male
    -Female
    -Transexual
    -Mental Disability
    -Handicap

I'm curious, what do people think are the biggest categories for students/teachers and the average number of times I count something from each category every day.

Our school is pretty cool about being nice and everything. I think its cool how the "cool" guys let the sped guys eat with them. There use to be a lot of Jew jokes but I haven't heard them in a loonggg time. Theres the occasional mexican joke, but the mexicans make most of them. haha
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless? - Page 2 Empty Re: Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Post by BA_Sadie. Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:56 pm

ha we have a lot of racist and sexist comments from students and teachers at my school along with homosexual comments and jewish comments.

this one kid whos jewish thats a senior everytime he tries to talk smack or something to someone they just go dude your jewish lol.
    luckily he doesnt take it personally...its just kinda how my town is.
    everyone is white, preppy, conservative, christian.
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by XCTrackXC Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Here's what my school looks like (approximately) so far, I have just this next week left before I finish up (I'll post the exact numbers/statistics I have then)
    The most consistent (categories I can regularly count on having steady 'activity') ones are:
    1. Homosexual Male - About 7-8 times per day
    2. Neutral Homosexual - A little under 4 times per day
    3. Mental Disability - A little under 4 times per day
    4. Asian - About 1 (perhaps a bit over) per day
    5. Arabic/Muslim - About 1 (a bit under) per day
    Followed by:
    6. Hispanic
    7. Jewish
    8. Homosexual Female
    9. African American
    10. Female
    11. Other Race/Ethnicity
    12. Handicap
    13. Transexual
    None for:
    Other Religion
    Non-Mainstream Religion
    Male

^None of those are exact numbers, just around what I have so far and think I'll end up with^
    The only categories anyone has ever called anyone out on what they say are Mental Disability, Female, and Handicap

For teachers/staff I haven't heard a lot, and it's usually less direct.
    1. Female - 3 (this is all from one person, an older, retired teacher working as a substitute teacher, most the girls and some of the guys said something to him about all 3 things)
    2. Homosexual Male - 1 (also from the same teacher, Man/Upper 20'sish/Soccer Coach/Teaches Health, PE, and Study Hall (I had him for health a year ago, study hall this year))
    3. Jewish/Muslim/Other Religion - 1, this tuesday (applied to all categories I guess, had something to do with how it's not 'politically correct' to say 'merry christmas' in school and something about most non-christian religions, I can't remember what, was a Woman/50 maybe?/English Teacher..)
    eternally_running
    eternally_running
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 669
    Registration date : 2008-07-08

Post by eternally_running Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:46 am

Pinthin wrote:When you call somone a jew or ni*** or something along those lines, thats wrong . I dont get offended when people say F this and your're a beeyotch, hah but I dont like it. Its just soo annoying, and when girls do it they look really un-classy and guys just make themselves sound really dumb.

I dont think I've ever sworn, I just cant make myself say it.. Neutral

i have never sworn either, and i really dont plan to. I went to private school for 9th and 10th grade and if someone said something like that everyone would be like, "oh my gosh! what did you say?" and now i go to public school, and i hear hecka nasty stuff. personally, it bothers me, and i hate hearing it. Neutral
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm

who cares..
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:29 pm

amen...

do you think you are being philosophical or smart by pondering this idea? ponder something worth while...
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Who's pondering the idea? We're telling where we stand on the issue.
    Don't like the thread? Don't bump it.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 pm

We're telling where we stand on the issue

That's the stupid part. Who cares?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Adonai wrote:
    We're telling where we stand on the issue

That's the stupid part. Who cares?
    Obviously everyone except you. But we're all inferior to you anyway so I guess it doesn't matter...
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by alex-likes-running Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 am

oh xctrackxc, i think u forgot french jokes in ur list lol
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by XCTrackXC Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:59 pm

I forgot I said I'd post this when I finished? Does anyone want me to post it or do people not really care. I have to figure out where I can upload it all because everything's all formatted in word documents.

Edit: Decided to put them up, if anyone cares.

http://www.2shared.com/file/4509516/4d19392/Tables.html

http://www.2shared.com/file/4509515/9dd8c228/Graphs.html

Last edited by XCTrackXC on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : See links)
    Phuckduck
    Phuckduck
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 681
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Phuckduck Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:34 am

really idc, i have a huge problem with faggot and gay tho because i know kids who are gay and it offends them. don't wanna vilify a certain group for something they have no control over
    njrunner14
    njrunner14
    Amateur
    Amateur

Number of posts : 58
    Class : 2010!
    5000m XC Time : 19:08
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

Post by njrunner14 Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:01 am

I'll usually curse, but like normal things like:
    -When I forget something or realize something: "Oh s*** or oh crap (not really cursing but ya know)"
    -Our school is really good about using cursing non-offensively, like if I'm arguing with a classmate, I'll be like, "You're such an asshole" but our argument is all in good fun in the first place so what I say is obviously a joke as well.
    Back when I started cursing, it was a horrible habit and every other word included a curse word. I cringe when I think about it. Now, like I said before, I use it occasionally, but as jokes. I have never said anything mean to hurt anyone in a long long long time. If I hear anyone make a racial slur or something awful, I'll get really upset and yell at them. When it comes to that, I get worked up about it. I remember reading a book in English that cursed constantly and I hated it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content