Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+6
Pinthin
Adonai
whenhen
alex-likes-running
CT Track
BA_Sadie.
10 posters

bail or no bail.

BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

bail or no bail. Empty bail or no bail.

Post by BA_Sadie. Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 am

sooo im sure you guys know about the economic crisis going on right now--ill get to the point.
    should the government go through with the bailout plan or let wall street bail out itself.

i think duhhh wall street doesn't have enough money to do that and we're america we work together we should bail them out and bail out other companys that are folding right now from our dumb governments decisions. i can't even believe that people are suggesting different.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

bail or no bail. Empty Re: bail or no bail.

Post by CT Track Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 am

No, the businesses are not failing just because of the government, they are failing because they are making bad business decisions. People are losing thousands everyday because the bank can't financially hold itself up from their stupid decisions.
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by alex-likes-running Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:45 am

no bail, but what do i know lol?
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1567
    Mile Time : I'm a rebel. I put text in here
    Class : 2012
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:46 PR; 2:00 range normal

Post by whenhen Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:46 am

Bail- The principal root reason the Great Depression happened was because wall street crashed and banks collapsed. The government is trying to prevent a 60% unemployment. It may make us as a generation pay more in taxes and detract needed funds, but it's better than the alternative. Also, if these businesses fail, it's going to have a much more long term impact on trade and such than home forecloses
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:34 am

Yet at the same time, the great depression happened because the banks had no security for when the market failed. This time the banks had a fall back and the government created such a program for when this would happen. Unfortunately the banks are doing stupid shit with the money during an obvious economic crisis.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 pm

the economy is like a forest: if you continually put out all the little fires that come up, you are only creating an inevitable and unstoppable wildfire because you have allowed the underbrush to overgrow. likewise, if the government keeps bailing out the irresponsible, like those who bought a house using a variable interest loan about 5 years ago or even the banks who distibuted such loans, you are only putting off, as well as amplifying, an incredible crash in the economy. Although it may suck for a while, sometimes you just have to let the economy burn a little bit, as well as let natural selection eliminate stupid people. Besides, if i were a taxpayer who had been responsible with my money over the past few years and had also chosen an initially more expensive, but safer flat-rate loan, i would be pissed to hear that i'm going to be held responsible for subsidizing dumb people as a result of their own mistakes.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Adonai wrote:the economy is like a forest: if you continually put out all the little fires that come up, you are only creating an inevitable and unstoppable wildfire because you have allowed the underbrush to overgrow. likewise, if the government keeps bailing out the irresponsible, like those who bought a house using a variable interest loan about 5 years ago or even the banks who distibuted such loans, you are only putting off, as well as amplifying, an incredible crash in the economy. Although it may suck for a while, sometimes you just have to let the economy burn a little bit, as well as let natural selection eliminate stupid people. Besides, if i were a taxpayer who had been responsible with my money over the past few years and had also chosen an initially more expensive, but safer flat-rate loan, i would be pissed to hear that i'm going to be held responsible for subsidizing dumb people as a result of their own mistakes.

Perfect explanation.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 am

Pinthin wrote:
    Adonai wrote:the economy is like a forest: if you continually put out all the little fires that come up, you are only creating an inevitable and unstoppable wildfire because you have allowed the underbrush to overgrow. likewise, if the government keeps bailing out the irresponsible, like those who bought a house using a variable interest loan about 5 years ago or even the banks who distibuted such loans, you are only putting off, as well as amplifying, an incredible crash in the economy. Although it may suck for a while, sometimes you just have to let the economy burn a little bit, as well as let natural selection eliminate stupid people. Besides, if i were a taxpayer who had been responsible with my money over the past few years and had also chosen an initially more expensive, but safer flat-rate loan, i would be pissed to hear that i'm going to be held responsible for subsidizing dumb people as a result of their own mistakes.

Perfect explanation.

Thank you.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Well clearly no bail was decided
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BA_Sadie. Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm

mk i think i see your side of it now--i guess i have only heard one side though before this. hmm it doesn't matter anymore though because no bail was decided so hopefully your right haha.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:56 pm

You're right, don't mess with the economy. Especially bailing out companies like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when they gave out loans to everyone. We also need tighter restrictions on credit, otherwise this debt is going to keep piling up.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:07 pm

I think we do probably need the bailout I have decided, or at least I think one of some description will happen
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Wgrt wrote:I think we do probably need the bailout I have decided, or at least I think one of some description will happen

we?? Suspect

haha tongue
    JK Runs
    Banned

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-10-01

Post by JK Runs Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Don't bail out all the stupid people that got bad loans and couldn't afford them. Because If you bail them out now they think they will get bailed out later.
    thelagwagon
    thelagwagon
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 346
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by thelagwagon Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:09 am

JK Runs wrote:Don't bail out all the stupid people that got bad loans and couldn't afford them. Because If you bail them out now they think they will get bailed out later.

The people aren't going to pay them back anyway. For the moment. The US government is just buying the debt anyway, so there is a chance that people will pay their loans back. So the government could actually get all it's money, plus a profit, back. They shouldn't let the banks get away with it though, if they want to give out stupid loans, they should suffer the consequences. But looks like the bill was passed, so they're going to get away with it anyway. Although I think it's the last nail in the coffin for the US dollar.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Pinthin wrote:
    Wgrt wrote:I think we do probably need the bailout I have decided, or at least I think one of some description will happen

we?? Suspect

haha tongue
    The world's economies are connected.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:06 pm