Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+7
P2
ND XC 23
futureNIKErunner
runner_dude
BA_Sadie.
AudienceOfOne
Kugar
11 posters

Stupid Question (Shoulder Injury?)

Kugar
    Kugar
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 404
    Class : Junior
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Stupid Question (Shoulder Injury?) Empty Stupid Question (Shoulder Injury?)

Post by Kugar Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Making a long story short:

My [right] shoulder has some pre-existing damage to the ligaments and/or tendons that make it more prone to dislocating when pressure is applied at a certain angle (or when I'm running because of the repetetive motion). It's not nearly as painful as it sounds, but it's nevertheless distracting and hard to deal with while I'm running. It was getting steadily worse and so I went to the doctor for it, and his only real suggestions were to stop running (yeah right) or to wear a brace.

I did pick up a brace about a week ago, but it doesn't actually keep it in place, just hinders movement.

(For the record, it's not as though it's tearing tendons and such when it dislocates...mostly it's very minor and easy to bounce back from.)

Does anyone know of what I might do for this? Or should I just get used to it? Are there maybe some strenghtening exercises that I can do?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Stupid Question (Shoulder Injury?) Empty Re: Stupid Question (Shoulder Injury?)

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:08 pm

dang dude i've never heard of it. idk.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by BA_Sadie. Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:51 am

idk at all i would say you could go to a physical therapist and figure out though.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 am

Yeah, do some strenghthening. I fucked my shoulder up playing hockey, and every couple weeks when I'm playing pick up basketball or something it'll pop and be messed up.
    futureNIKErunner
    futureNIKErunner
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 3510
    Mile Time : wat goes here again?
    Class : Sophmore

Post by futureNIKErunner Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 am

no idea, go ask someone with training in that area
    ND XC 23
    ND XC 23
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 563
    Mile Time : i like to do stuff
    Class : funny

Post by ND XC 23 Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:51 am

wait...your shoulder dislocates when youre running confused thats weird, see a doctor
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1376
    Mile Time : Used Bicycle
    Class : Dyestat....BAHAHAHAHA
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by P2 Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:23 pm

runner_dude wrote:Yeah, do some strenghthening. I fucked my shoulder up playing hockey, and every couple weeks when I'm playing pick up basketball or something it'll pop and be messed up.
    World Juniors in 2000 we beat your guys ass. Go USA! Then we got the tournament about a half mile from my house and we sucked No

haha sorry for the spam
    TnF_T
    TnF_T
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 323
    Mile Time : 431 in a snowy, windy, hurricane like storm, up hill, blindfolded, after 3 big macs and didn't try

Post by TnF_T Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Then came the 2002 olympics tongue
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Class : University Freshman

Post by runner_dude Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:26 pm

P2 wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:Yeah, do some strenghthening. I fucked my shoulder up playing hockey, and every couple weeks when I'm playing pick up basketball or something it'll pop and be messed up.
    World Juniors in 2000 we beat your guys ass. Go USA! Then we got the tournament about a half mile from my house and we sucked No

haha sorry for the spam

What about 2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008? Or any of the other 14 titles Canada has won?
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54

Post by BA_Sadie. Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:27 pm

haha nice RD.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

We'll stick to football if you stick to hockey.

But you guys couldn't win the world championship in hockey with a bunch of college rejects. Razz
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:10 pm

USA>world in any form of football. besides soccer. but soccer is dumb.
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50

Post by alex-likes-running Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 am

rugby > football imo
    Kugar
    Kugar
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Kugar Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Did it get better once you started working with it more?

PT/Orthopedic surgeon says I could get it fixed up surgically (to clear away scar tissue and repair ligaments and such), but I might not keep full use of my arm (not sure that I'm willing to do that) and would be out for all of XC (definitely not willing to do that). So I don't know yet. Definitely will start strengthening and stretching, and I'll see if that helps.

And, for the record, American football completely destroys rugby. Completely.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Kugar wrote:

PT/Orthopedic surgeon says I could get it fixed up surgically (to clear away scar tissue and repair ligaments and such), but I might not keep full use of my arm (not sure that I'm willing to do that) and would be out for all of XC (definitely not willing to do that). So I don't know yet. Definitely will start strengthening and stretching, and I'll see if that helps.

maybe you should think long term instead of short term....
    Kugar
    Kugar
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Kugar Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Kugar wrote:

maybe you should think long term instead of short term....

I probably should. Neutral But I'm going to shop around first, I think. There's got to be more than two options, and I'm really not into the idea of a surgery that might or might not be "successful." Especially given the track record of my surgeon.

In the mean time, as long as I'm not doing any additional damage, I think I'll start some more intensive PT-type stuff along with stretches and such....
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:48 pm

ok, good luck. sorry we don't know squat about this....
    funrunner
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by funrunner Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Make sure you go to a doctor who runs or understands running and runners. If stop running is a doctor's answer, he is not a good doctor. Sounds like you're in a pretty sticky situation. Good luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:47 pm