Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

    FAO YOSH

    Share
    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 am

    You have HUGE quads. How can I get mine that big? Whats your secret?
    avatar
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4613
    Age : 26
    Location : Pennsylvania
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Running With Scissors on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 am

    Eat McDonalds.


    _________________
    THE NEW SITE IS DONE!!!!!!! http://www.traxck.com
    avatar
    Yosh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 27
    800m Time : 2:10
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:47:38 (extrapolated from a hilly 25k road race)
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Yosh on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 am

    I guess for overall quadricep size; I lift weights and run in the mountains for fun.

    My secret is... I have a mustache?
    avatar
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4613
    Age : 26
    Location : Pennsylvania
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Running With Scissors on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 am

    Do you use any protein drinks or anything like that?


    _________________
    THE NEW SITE IS DONE!!!!!!! http://www.traxck.com

    The Corrector
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by The Corrector on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 am

    Is there some way to block out people's avatars so we don't have to see ugly faces/bodies, etc? Thanks.
    avatar
    Yosh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 27
    800m Time : 2:10
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:47:38 (extrapolated from a hilly 25k road race)
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Yosh on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 am

    No. I've used protein in the past. I really don't think they are anything
    special. Most of the food you eat everyday has enough protein and
    stuff in it. Maybe if I wanted to bench press a truck, I would take
    creatine but that really isn't on my list of goals/things I want to do.

    I sometimes eat a huge amount of food though. Yesterday I ran 10 miles and for my recovery snack/dinner, I ate 20 hot wings, steamed vegetables, rice, garlic bread, a blackened Mahi filet, a salad, and drank a beer. It was delicious.
    avatar
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4613
    Age : 26
    Location : Pennsylvania
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Running With Scissors on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 am

    Yeah I eat a lot too but mostly because its still swim season and swimming makes me hungry.


    _________________
    THE NEW SITE IS DONE!!!!!!! http://www.traxck.com
    avatar
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

    Number of posts : 3475
    Age : 26
    Location : HK
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by alex-likes-running on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 am

    Yosh wrote:

    My secret is... I have a mustache?
    wow i never noticed that.

    and the corrector, there is a feature where you can block someone else so you dont see any of their posts. if the avatar bothers you that much, by all means use it.

    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 pm

    Yosh wrote:I guess for overall quadricep size; I lift weights and run in the mountains for fun.

    My secret is... I have a mustache?

    What I really meant is whats your secret to such massive quads. I guess I'll have to hit the gym even harder.
    I also have a 'stache maybe that's the secret to godly quads. Thanks wish there were more knowledgeable members like you.
    avatar
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4924
    Age : 25
    Location : New York
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by FinishingKick on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 pm

    Rolling Eyes Go back to Let's Run if you want, but based on the number of times you've come back here I'm guessing that deep down you really like this forum.
    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 am

    I do really. Its nice to see there is still some life here on the boards. And theres actually some knowledgeable adults here like yosh.
    avatar
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 3092
    Age : 26
    Location : down by the bay, washington
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Pinthin on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 am

    Its mustache march!...good time to grow one I guess.
    haha, A bunch of guys are trying to sport molestor staches now (those that can grow one anyways).

    offtopic..
    avatar
    Yosh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 27
    800m Time : 2:10
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:47:38 (extrapolated from a hilly 25k road race)
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Yosh on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:14 am

    Well, I'm not a typical runner. When have you heard about a runner getting second place in their weight class for a small time, local strongman competition? I definitely identify as a runner though since I ran XC and track for 4 years and still run and sign up for races, but after high school my mileage went down a lot. I was probably doing at least around 40 miles a week during the season for high school, but now I run only around 20 miles a week (but I have mostly kept that up off and on for about 5 years). I just train in a lot running and other things; sort of like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Liftingwise, I focus on compound, functional movements like the bench press, dead lift, squat, different variations of the overhead press, etc. I train my body as a unit since that's how it works in real life. I never do bicep curls when I could do pull ups for example. I am not a body builder and I don't care how big or not my "quads" are; I respect the hard work and dedication it takes to do bodybuilding, but I think they care entirely on looks. Train for function and everything else will follow.

    I don't really have a set work out plan or system. On a usual day though, I will do a couple warm up sets, then a couple sets of 2-4 reps with a heavy weight, then a couple sets of 10 reps with a less amount of weight, and then go to a light weight and pump out like 50-100 reps. So for example, do a set of push ups or two, then bench press like 230-240 pounds a couple of times, then do a couple sets of 10 at 185, and finally finish off with 100 reps of just the 45 lbs. bar. Physiologically, I'm not sure how that works since there are several sets in a lot of different rep ranges, but my theory behind it (which I adapted from my XC coach in high school) is to work the muscles and fill them with lactic acid then work through the pain on the endurance set at the end. I also do other things like a lot of heavy max single reps to focus on straight strength or do many heavy sets of lower reps for strength-endurance, or circuits of various exercises like push ups-pull ups-abs, or whatever really.
    avatar
    Lily
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 476
    Age : 25
    Location : New Jersey
    Mile Time : 5:56
    Class : 2011
    800m Time : 2:34
    5000m XC Time : 20:45
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lily on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 pm

    Pinthin wrote:Its mustache march!...good time to grow one I guess.
    haha, A bunch of guys are trying to sport molestor staches now (those that can grow one anyways).

    offtopic..
    at my school november was mustache month. they called it "movember". all the male teachers grew mustaches and people voted for the ones with the best mustaches each week by putting coins in their bins. each week the teachers with the worst mustaches were kicked off until the final week when someone was crowned the title of best mustache. all the money raised went to child leukemia i think.
    avatar
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1723
    Location : CO
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by PCNQtrack on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 pm

    yeah we have no shave november and mustache march...pretty sweet must say
    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 pm

    Yosh wrote:Well, I'm not a typical runner. When have you heard about a runner getting second place in their weight class for a small time, local strongman competition? I definitely identify as a runner though since I ran XC and track for 4 years and still run and sign up for races, but after high school my mileage went down a lot. I was probably doing at least around 40 miles a week during the season for high school, but now I run only around 20 miles a week (but I have mostly kept that up off and on for about 5 years). I just train in a lot running and other things; sort of like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Liftingwise, I focus on compound, functional movements like the bench press, dead lift, squat, different variations of the overhead press, etc. I train my body as a unit since that's how it works in real life. I never do bicep curls when I could do pull ups for example. I am not a body builder and I don't care how big or not my "quads" are; I respect the hard work and dedication it takes to do bodybuilding, but I think they care entirely on looks. Train for function and everything else will follow.

    I don't really have a set work out plan or system. On a usual day though, I will do a couple warm up sets, then a couple sets of 2-4 reps with a heavy weight, then a couple sets of 10 reps with a less amount of weight, and then go to a light weight and pump out like 50-100 reps. So for example, do a set of push ups or two, then bench press like 230-240 pounds a couple of times, then do a couple sets of 10 at 185, and finally finish off with 100 reps of just the 45 lbs. bar. Physiologically, I'm not sure how that works since there are several sets in a lot of different rep ranges, but my theory behind it (which I adapted from my XC coach in high school) is to work the muscles and fill them with lactic acid then work through the pain on the endurance set at the end. I also do other things like a lot of heavy max single reps to focus on straight strength or do many heavy sets of lower reps for strength-endurance, or circuits of various exercises like push ups-pull ups-abs, or whatever really.

    Your training is similar to mine, I thought lifting heavier weights with a lower rep would be for strength while lifting lower weights with an emphasize on higher reps would provide a strength-endurance type of workout. Is it actually the other way around?
    avatar
    Lily
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 476
    Age : 25
    Location : New Jersey
    Mile Time : 5:56
    Class : 2011
    800m Time : 2:34
    5000m XC Time : 20:45
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lily on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:01 pm

    Lindgren Runner wrote:
    Yosh wrote:Well, I'm not a typical runner. When have you heard about a runner getting second place in their weight class for a small time, local strongman competition? I definitely identify as a runner though since I ran XC and track for 4 years and still run and sign up for races, but after high school my mileage went down a lot. I was probably doing at least around 40 miles a week during the season for high school, but now I run only around 20 miles a week (but I have mostly kept that up off and on for about 5 years). I just train in a lot running and other things; sort of like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Liftingwise, I focus on compound, functional movements like the bench press, dead lift, squat, different variations of the overhead press, etc. I train my body as a unit since that's how it works in real life. I never do bicep curls when I could do pull ups for example. I am not a body builder and I don't care how big or not my "quads" are; I respect the hard work and dedication it takes to do bodybuilding, but I think they care entirely on looks. Train for function and everything else will follow.

    I don't really have a set work out plan or system. On a usual day though, I will do a couple warm up sets, then a couple sets of 2-4 reps with a heavy weight, then a couple sets of 10 reps with a less amount of weight, and then go to a light weight and pump out like 50-100 reps. So for example, do a set of push ups or two, then bench press like 230-240 pounds a couple of times, then do a couple sets of 10 at 185, and finally finish off with 100 reps of just the 45 lbs. bar. Physiologically, I'm not sure how that works since there are several sets in a lot of different rep ranges, but my theory behind it (which I adapted from my XC coach in high school) is to work the muscles and fill them with lactic acid then work through the pain on the endurance set at the end. I also do other things like a lot of heavy max single reps to focus on straight strength or do many heavy sets of lower reps for strength-endurance, or circuits of various exercises like push ups-pull ups-abs, or whatever really.

    Your training is similar to mine, I thought lifting heavier weights with a lower rep would be for strength while lifting lower weights with an emphasize on higher reps would provide a strength-endurance type of workout. Is it actually the other way around?
    no i'm almost positive you have it right. although i guess you were looking for yosh's input. he may know more about strength training than me, but that's what i was taught.
    avatar
    Yosh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 27
    800m Time : 2:10
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:47:38 (extrapolated from a hilly 25k road race)
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Yosh on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:27 pm

    You guys are right about what you are saying. I would use the term muscular endurance for the typical load/rep range of low resistance/high reps that you were talking about. I used the term strength-endurance though. There are several variations of the word strength. Like I am using the term strength-endurance for muscular functioning under heavy resistance over a long period of time. Like if a guy at the moving company had to lift heavy boxes all day or a boxer having the strength-endurance to punch hard through all 12 rounds of a fight. There's also maximal strength like the most force you can lift in one exertion i.e. one rep max for bench press, overhead press, or any other exercise. Explosive strength would be the ability to produce force in a minimal amount of time.
    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:24 am

    Do you have any explosive and strength endurance leg workouts?
    avatar
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 3092
    Age : 26
    Location : down by the bay, washington
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Pinthin on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 pm

    PCNQtrack wrote:yeah we have no shave november and mustache march...pretty sweet must say

    oh yeah no shave november too. But its not nearly as cool..I wish I was a guy sometimes. haha
    avatar
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1723
    Location : CO
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by PCNQtrack on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 pm

    (psst..we better be careful not to become thread hijackers) haha
    avatar
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 3092
    Age : 26
    Location : down by the bay, washington
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Pinthin on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:53 pm

    silent Facial hair is more exciting though..

    haha
    avatar
    Yosh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 27
    800m Time : 2:10
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:47:38 (extrapolated from a hilly 25k road race)
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Yosh on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:11 pm

    For leg explosive strength, you can do pylometrics, Olympic style lifts (snatch, cleans, etc.), lunges with weights, squats, etc. Primarily focus on the acceleration and force of the movement. You want that movement to be fast. If you try the Olympic lifts, really acclerate the barbell using your legs. I read somewhere that every weightlifter at the Olympics can stand underneath a basketball net and slam dunk a basketball due to the explosive leg strength they have from doing clean and jerks and stuff like that all the time.
    Snatch and Box Jump
    Shane Hamman, a 350 pound weightlifter at the Olympics in 2000 and 2004, does a box jump

    For strength endurance for your legs, run some hills or do lifts and either cut down your recovery or do more sets.
    avatar
    Lindgren Runner
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 42
    Age : 27
    Location : United States
    Mile Time : 4:52.3
    Class : 2009
    800m Time : 2:12
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Lindgren Runner on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm

    Thanks yosh

    Sponsored content

    Re: FAO YOSH

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 pm