Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+11
alex-likes-running
runner_dude
FinishingKick
ctk4xc11
mentle bentle
T B K
5280ft
Phuckduck
Kugar
spartanrunner
running_violet
15 posters

too much treadmill? fitness?

running_violet
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 930
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

too much treadmill? fitness? - Page 2 Empty Re: too much treadmill? fitness?

Post by running_violet Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Kugar wrote:
    T B K wrote:
    Kugar wrote:Are you building back from an injury?

My only issue with treadmills is that they do tend to have a surface that's really tough on your legs, impact-wise, if you are doing heavy mileage. I would definitely make the effort to get outside. If there's snow, find a park that won't freeze over and plow your way through. Stay off roads and sidewalks if they are icy, and if you can't go out definitely do some supplemental biking and swimming.

If you have to run on a treadmill, moniter your h/r so that you can get a good gauge of effort. You don't want to overextend by going too fast, and you should keep your h/r in the same range as you do when you are running outside. I don't mean that it's an exact science, but it will keep you from hurting yourself or, alternately, hurting your fitness level.

I think thirty miles/week is fine, and I would even go a little higher if it doesn't feel like enough for you. Just make sure that it's QUALITY. 30 mpw of long, easy stuff isn't going to make you better at sprints/middle distance. Get a workout from your coach or an older teammate so you don't miss anything.

Good luck!

well like i would do like 5 mile runs at say like 8-8:30 pace. at the slowest being 9 minutes if it's bad weather. not 10 minute pace...lol. 10 minute pace for like 6+ miles but that would be like once a week or less.

The whole point of base is to take it easy. Doing lots of quality mileage now will just leave you burned out later in the season. Save the quality training for track season.

Running at 10 minute pace if you're a six-minute miler isn't going to do anything, even in base. You don't want to run tempo every day, of course, and you should watch it with the intervals, but base can't just be talk-pace for 30 mpw (IMO).

But it really depends on your fitness level I guess. Definitely talk to your coach about to see how much of a base he wants on you before the start of your season.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 pm