Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+15
Hurdle-Gurl
Tri Babe 518
Running With Scissors
whenhen
Just Because
amherst_xc
alex-likes-running
runner4life92
AudienceOfOne
CT Track
5280ft
runnergirl93
Pinthin
BA_Sadie.
XCTrackXC
19 posters

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless? Empty Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Post by XCTrackXC Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:53 pm

I was thinking about this and wondered what other people thought.

Question's pretty simple-Do you think that obscene/vulgar language (either swears or sexual-related) or hateful/discriminatory language (race, i.e. n***er, sp**; gender, i.e. br**d; religion, i.e. using the term 'Jew' as an insult; sexual orientation, i.e. f***ot; disability, i.e. re****ed; etc) is inherintely harmful or mostly harmless? When is it harmful, when is it harmless?

Personally I don't mind it if people use 'obscene' language, so long as its not every other word/sentance or too frequently. I think it's better to not teach/use/let children hear that kind of language (especially sexual language) at a young age, but I also don't think that an adult knowing it or speaking like that is really harmful in any way (with the exception that they might encounter people who don't like it and think lesser of them for it).

Hateful language-I don't think really has much effect, on me at least. I have pretty thick skin, but you'd assume I'd find 90% of the media and popular culture rittled with language offensive to me, I just don't mind it. (I even have the bad habit of saying it myself)
    And yet... I think it's pretty harmful in most cases, and probably helps to perpetuate hateful ideas and stereotypes about groups of people, even when it's used by somebody from that group or in a way not meant to offend anyone).
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2445
    Mile Time : 5:54
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless? Empty Re: Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Post by BA_Sadie. Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:58 pm

i think cussing is fine...as long as like you said its not everyword just to try to be a bad ass or something..i hate when gangsters are like yooo wassup mother fuckerrrrrr im fuckin getting out of this shit joint idk lol as you can see im not like that or w/e haha.
    but i think racist comments and sexual comments is bad to an extent if its your friend or something like i might call my friend a skank and thats not bad but if its some random person who does that then its weird..
    k i just kinda rambled there.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Class : 2010
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless? Empty Re: Obscene/Hateful Language? Harmful or Harmless?

Post by Pinthin Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:26 pm

When you call somone a jew or ni*** or something along those lines, thats wrong . I dont get offended when people say F this and your're a beeyotch, hah but I dont like it. Its just soo annoying, and when girls do it they look really un-classy and guys just make themselves sound really dumb.

I dont think I've ever sworn, I just cant make myself say it.. Neutral
    runnergirl93
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 534
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runnergirl93 Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:54 pm

cussing is fine as long its not hatred wise like racist or w/e.
    theres a kid in my school who swears every other word, i swear. i counted 32 by the time small talk conversation was over.
    5280ft
    5280ft
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 375
    Registration date : 2008-06-26

Post by 5280ft Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:06 pm

I hate it. There a so many other words to express such feelings, why do cuss ones need to be used? A lot of the time I think it just makes people look stupid.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Swearing presents a lack of vocabulary and education. I do use it however in the presence of false anger to effect.

Racial terms I can handle because I am the brunt of many an Asian joke. Words get thrown around and I think some people are too sensitive to realize the connotation of the word. I don't plan on having my children swear, but I'll also be a hypocrite.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:37 pm

i don't swear, like, ever. i used to but i stopped. i have a younger brother that shouldn't use those words, so i don't either.

ephesians 4:29 "do not let any unwholesome or obsene language come out of your mouth".
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:39 pm

My mother "Don't you let that come out of your mouth again or I'll wash your mouth out with soap"

Mom>God
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:00 pm

lol
    i don't care if people cuss because crap means the same as shit society has just made that a bad word..which is dumb.

i hate when people say things like "thats gay or your retarded" i hate that so much. i used to say things like that but wow i hate it now.

and i didn't used to cuss but lately i have been just because i really don't care i mean obviously i don't say it in front of my parents or something but i just do it occasionally.
    Pinthin
    Pinthin
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 2888
    Mile Time : none
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Pinthin Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:08 pm

CT Track wrote:My mother "Don't you let that come out of your mouth again or I'll wash your mouth out with soap"

Mom>God

haha my mom actually did that once because I called my brother something dumb when I was 6...never again Neutral
    runner4life92
    runner4life92
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 344
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by runner4life92 Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I don't cuss. the only thing I would say is 'damn' or maybe 'hell'. but it's not that often & I would be more likely to say damn than hell.
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3314
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by alex-likes-running Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:39 pm

i dont think cussing or racial slurs are acceptable, but i dont really care if they're used. and i think people that take offense to them are too sensitive lol. most people swear out of habbit, and probably dont think about what they're saying.
    amherst_xc
    amherst_xc
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 536
    Class : Junior
    800m Time : 2:15
    5000m XC Time : 18:54
    Half-Marathon Time : 9000
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

Post by amherst_xc Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 pm

i dont care.

your welcome for this very in-depth post.
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496

Post by Just Because Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:54 pm

As long as people don't take it too far then its fine. That goes for swearing and racial, sexist,etc. comments
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1567
    Mile Time : I'm a rebel. I put text in here
    Class : 2012
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:46 PR; 2:00 range normal

Post by whenhen Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:38 pm

I think things like b###h and f**k are fine as long as it's not uttered in front of children, even though you look like a moron when you say it

I have a problem with gay because saying someone is stupid based on another's sexual orientation is plain wrong. Imagine if someone said, "that's so straight" That speaker would look like a moron because not all straight people are stupid

As for Jew, I've never heard it used as a racial slur, but maybe that's just because I live in an area with a high Jewish population. If I did hear it, I'd either suck it up, or remind the person that not all Jews are out to steal money, or overthrow the US government.

I think slurs aimed at a certain population are harmful because they promote ignorance, and hate.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:06 pm

whenhen wrote:
    As for Jew, I've never heard it used as a racial slur, but maybe that's just because I live in an area with a high Jewish population. If I did hear it, I'd either suck it up, or remind the person that not all Jews are out to steal money, or overthrow the US government.

is there a cult of jews trying to overthrow the government?
    Running With Scissors
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4345
    Mile Time : 4:42
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Post by Running With Scissors Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 am

I think cussing all the time makes you sound stupid but some times people need a good wtf you piece of mutha f***ing sh-t face.
    whenhen
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1567
    Mile Time : I'm a rebel. I put text in here
    Class : 2012
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:46 PR; 2:00 range normal

Post by whenhen Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    whenhen wrote:

is there a cult of jews trying to overthrow the government?
    I've been told that jews are taking over washington, upon people finding out that I'm friends with many jews. Rolling Eyes It's not really an anti-Semitic slur though
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by alex-likes-running Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am

have you guys seen harold and kumar 2: escape from guantanamo bay?
    i love the racial stereotypes, with the guy pouring grape soda in front of the black people, and then pouring out change in front of the jews.
    Tri Babe 518
    Tri Babe 518
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Tri Babe 518 Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

I don't really think cussing is that bad. If you really look at it, it's just a word. Just like any other word, if you say it over and over again it loses meaning. Cuss words are just what society has made them to be.
    BA_Sadie.
    BA_Sadie.
    Elite
    Elite

Post by BA_Sadie. Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:06 am

alex-likes-running wrote:have you guys seen harold and kumar 2: escape from guantanamo bay?
    i love the racial stereotypes, with the guy pouring grape soda in front of the black people, and then pouring out change in front of the jews.

yesss haha.
    i love that movie.
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 632
    Class : ~2011~Sophomore!
    5000m XC Time : 21:00
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm

I HATE swearing.
    I think it's extremely pointless, and you can come up with a better word to say that a swear word.
    My friend group made a few "Group Rules."
    Just an example: No retarded swearing for no reason, and nobody can say: gay, fag, or faggot.
    Just some words that we all really don't like to hear.
    My friends andjoke around and we call eachother things like whore, skank, and wench, but we only do it when the person knows that we are just messing around.
    XCTrackXC
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 398
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by XCTrackXC Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:25 pm

So I have been doing a project related to this since October. I've been counting the number of racist/sexist/etc remarks, stereotypes, jokes, etc I hear other students and teachers say (and counting them in the media, but that hasn't been as interesting/surprising), as well as whether or not somebody (a teacher or student) addresses it (calls them out on it).

The categories I'm tracking are:
    -Arabic/Muslism (combined because there was so much gray area between the two)
    -Hispanic
    -Asian
    -African American
    -Other Ethnic Groups
    -Jewish
    -Non-Mainstream Religion (i.e. scientology, I don't know any others off the top of my head, so...)
    -Other Religious Groups (i.e. hinduism, budhism, christianity)
    -Homosexual Male
    -Homosexual Female
    -Neutral Homosexual (when it's not clear if the word 'gay', 'fag', 'homo', etc are suppose to apply to a guy or girl)
    -Male
    -Female
    -Transexual
    -Mental Disability
    -Handicap

I'm curious, what do people think are the biggest categories for students/teachers and the average number of times I count something from each category every day.
    Hurdle-Gurl
    Hurdle-Gurl
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 632
    Class : ~2011~Sophomore!
    5000m XC Time : 21:00
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by Hurdle-Gurl Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 am

XCTrackXC wrote:
    The categories I'm tracking are:
    -Arabic/Muslism (combined because there was so much gray area between the two)
    -Hispanic
    -Asian
    -African American
    -Other Ethnic Groups
    -Jewish
    -Non-Mainstream Religion (i.e. scientology, I don't know any others off the top of my head, so...)
    -Other Religious Groups (i.e. hinduism, budhism, christianity)
    -Homosexual Male
    -Homosexual Female

-Neutral Homosexual (when it's not clear if the word 'gay', 'fag', 'homo', etc are suppose to apply to a guy or girl)
    -Male
    -Female
    -Transexual
    -Mental Disability
    -Handicap

I'm curious, what do people think are the biggest categories for students/teachers and the average number of times I count something from each category every day.

Well the bolded ones are the ones that seem to be prominent at my school.
    The ones I underlined would be ones that are heard/said the most though if I truly had to narrow it down.
    Are you really hearing things from the teachers? CrAzY! I probably only have one teacher that would say or do any of these things...and they'd be joking if they did.
    alex-likes-running
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by alex-likes-running Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am

Arabic/Muslim
    African American
    Jewish
    neutral homosexual

those are the ones that are really big in my school.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content