Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

    Should I?

    Share
    avatar
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1723
    Location : CO
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

    Should I?

    Post by PCNQtrack on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:18 pm

    To all you fellow believers in base training...what is the most mpw you did in base?

    and what types of miles did you do before that?

    Typically i ran over the summer around 40 mpw with a couple of 50's thrown in...i really want to hit 60 over winter but don't know if i should. Ran 40's throughout season and haven't had any significant injury problems
    avatar
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1729
    Location : Florida
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

    Re: Should I?

    Post by T B K on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:58 pm

    I did about 20 in base and now I do high 20s, soon in the 30s.
    avatar
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 5675
    Age : 25
    Location : Nati fo eva
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

    Re: Should I?

    Post by AudienceOfOne on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:44 pm

    last summer i built up to 77 and stayed around there.

    I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't be able to build up to 60+.


    _________________
    1600/4:52.3 3200/10:17.5 5000 XC/16:47

    Oh, Death, where is your sting?
    Aint nothin' left to bring
    Resurrected, perfected,
    What can affect this King?
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: Should I?

    Post by CT Track on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:27 pm

    My friend runs a 15:26 and he only peaked at about 75ish

    So don't throw yourself into high mileage. Do what you think will work. Different things work better for different people.
    avatar
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1609
    Age : 27
    Location : Nova Scotia
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

    Re: Should I?

    Post by runner_dude on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:04 pm

    Over the summer, I hit 55ish in base, and stayed there most of the season. Now I'm at 60, getting to 70 before track season starts officially.
    avatar
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4924
    Age : 25
    Location : New York
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: Should I?

    Post by FinishingKick on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:06 pm

    CT Track wrote:My friend runs a 15:26 and he only peaked at about 75ish

    So don't throw yourself into high mileage. Do what you think will work. Different things work better for different people.
    Only 75? That's about as high as you should go if you want to peak later on, however if you want to be your best in high school and college (I do for one) it wouldn't be bad to go over.
    avatar
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 5675
    Age : 25
    Location : Nati fo eva
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

    Re: Should I?

    Post by AudienceOfOne on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:58 pm

    FinishingKick wrote:
    CT Track wrote:My friend runs a 15:26 and he only peaked at about 75ish

    So don't throw yourself into high mileage. Do what you think will work. Different things work better for different people.
    Only 75? That's about as high as you should go if you want to peak later on, however if you want to be your best in high school and college (I do for one) it wouldn't be bad to go over.
    Wrong.


    _________________
    1600/4:52.3 3200/10:17.5 5000 XC/16:47

    Oh, Death, where is your sting?
    Aint nothin' left to bring
    Resurrected, perfected,
    What can affect this King?
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: Should I?

    Post by CT Track on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

    Do what you think will work. Different things work better for different people
    .
    avatar
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4613
    Age : 25
    Location : Pennsylvania
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: Should I?

    Post by Running With Scissors on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:07 am

    I run farther during the season then during base but then again I was also faster during base. I'm too lazy to run far by myself.


    _________________
    THE NEW SITE IS DONE!!!!!!! http://www.traxck.com
    avatar
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

    Number of posts : 3475
    Age : 25
    Location : HK
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: Should I?

    Post by alex-likes-running on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:09 am

    Running With Scissors wrote:I run farther during the season then during base but then again I was also faster during base. I'm too lazy to run far by myself.
    I'm like opposite, I'm faster and I run more during the off season lol.

    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: Should I?

    Post by CT Track on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm

    On the same side that I was already stating. The Danbury Hatters only make their top runners go up to 60 miles a week. If you're not familiar with them they finished 4th at Nationals last year, sending guys to Texas, Providence, Syracuse, and American. All big time programs. Just another perspective.
    avatar
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4924
    Age : 25
    Location : New York
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: Should I?

    Post by FinishingKick on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 pm

    CT Track wrote:On the same side that I was already stating. The Danbury Hatters only make their top runners go up to 60 miles a week. If you're not familiar with them they finished 4th at Nationals last year, sending guys to Texas, Providence, Syracuse, and American. All big time programs. Just another perspective.
    They were ranked #1, so you could say they underachieved.
    avatar
    Tri Babe 518
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 404
    Location : Hillbilly Hell (a.k.a. Kentucky)
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

    Re: Should I?

    Post by Tri Babe 518 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm

    alex-likes-running wrote:
    Running With Scissors wrote:I run farther during the season then during base but then again I was also faster during base. I'm too lazy to run far by myself.
    I'm like opposite, I'm faster and I run more during the off season lol.

    Same here.
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: Should I?

    Post by CT Track on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:15 pm

    FinishingKick wrote:
    CT Track wrote:On the same side that I was already stating. The Danbury Hatters only make their top runners go up to 60 miles a week. If you're not familiar with them they finished 4th at Nationals last year, sending guys to Texas, Providence, Syracuse, and American. All big time programs. Just another perspective.
    They were ranked #1, so you could say they underachieved.

    Meh rankings mean nothing to me. I'd say dyestat overrated them more than they underachieved. They ran the best they could that day. I think the only one who underachieved was Parker Boudreau who is actually a half-miler.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Should I?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:59 am