Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

    5000m

    Share
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:45 am

    this probably doesn't really matter much, but now i'm just frustraited
    5000m:
    i always thought it was 3.11 but i normally just say 3.1
    but this really good runner friend of mine said it was 3.125
    so every single distance converter i go on and type in 5000m it doesnt come out as 3.125

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/95.shtml 3.11
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/LengthConverter.html 3.10700 miles
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm 3.1068559612 miles
    http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm 3.10685 miles

    so yeah, there's more but you get the idea...i found a bunch of them and every one i type in isn't 3.125
    so then i'm like...well my friend must be just mistaken

    but then i Wikipedia '5000 meters'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5000_metres and it says:
    "The 5000 metres (equal to ~3.125 miles) is a popular running distance also known as a 5K or 5 km,"


    ahh now which is it? i'm sooo confused. i think i'm a little bit OCD because i get worked up over these kinda things...and like counting how many sips i take out of the water fountain...

    anyyway..what distance do you think it is?
    thankkks. I <3 all my RT friends Very Happy
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: 5000m

    Post by CT Track on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:58 am

    Apparently you haven't taken any math course.

    1 mile = approx. 1.6km

    1km = approx .62 miles

    .621371192 to be exact

    so by complex calculus we take 5 and multiply it by .621371192 and get the marginal revenue of:

    3.106856

    which rounds to 3.11

    which means a 5k is a 5k no matter what you think it is. Same as a mile is a mile. Everyone runs the same distance on the same course in the same conditions.
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:11 pm

    so then it is 3.11?

    and about the math classes, well i'm only in 8th grade and right now i'm doing 9th grade math class
    so, yeah...we havn't learned that yet. i'm still crippled by a calculator... Neutral
    avatar
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1729
    Location : Florida
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

    Re: 5000m

    Post by T B K on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:29 pm

    I have always known it to be 3.11

    atcg
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1373
    5000m XC Time : 20:30
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: 5000m

    Post by atcg on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:35 pm

    I always thought it was 3.125.
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:37 pm

    YEAH! OCD on this issue is cured.
    My math wizz brother helped me figure it out!

    okay, for my friend and for the people who think its 3.125...they divided 5000m/1600m = 3.125

    but really, a mile is 1609m...
    so then you do 5000/1609 = 3.1068559612

    and you can round that whereever, so its either 3.11, or 3.107 ya know.

    shweeeww i'm soo happy my mind isn't boggling over this anymore
    spam
    avatar
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 5675
    Age : 25
    Location : Nati fo eva
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by AudienceOfOne on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:42 pm

    wow. just, wow.


    _________________
    1600/4:52.3 3200/10:17.5 5000 XC/16:47

    Oh, Death, where is your sting?
    Aint nothin' left to bring
    Resurrected, perfected,
    What can affect this King?
    avatar
    runlikethawind
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 105
    Age : 25
    Location : Downriver, Michigan
    Class : 2011
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by runlikethawind on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:48 pm

    who cares??????? big deal if one guy says its 3 feet longer than another guy
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: 5000m

    Post by CT Track on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 pm


    but really, a mile is 1609m...
    so then you do 5000/1609 = 3.1068559612

    Which is what I just stated?
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:10 pm

    CT Track wrote:

    but really, a mile is 1609m...
    so then you do 5000/1609 = 3.1068559612

    Which is what I just stated?

    i'm saying like, now i know why they are getting 3.125 its cuz they only did 1600 instead of 1609
    if you've done the math right, then math is always right
    and CT, your math is too complicated for me...seriously, calculus? you don't think i can actually understand that do you?

    and runlikethewind...that's exactly what my brother said to me "who even cares"
    i just wanted to know which it really was.
    but...i think i need to become a little less obsessive compulsive
    avatar
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 830
    Age : 27
    Location : Torrington CT/Moon, PA
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

    Re: 5000m

    Post by CT Track on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:34 pm

    wtf? calculus?


    I just used conversions
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:36 pm

    CT Track wrote:Apparently you haven't taken any math course.

    1 mile = approx. 1.6km

    1km = approx .62 miles

    .621371192 to be exact

    so by complex calculus we take 5 and multiply it by .621371192 and get the marginal revenue of:

    3.106856

    which rounds to 3.11

    which means a 5k is a 5k no matter what you think it is. Same as a mile is a mile. Everyone runs the same distance on the same course in the same conditions.

    ^^
    i like don't even know what calculus is...
    avatar
    peace,love&running
    Amateur
    Amateur

    Number of posts : 53
    Age : 26
    Registration date : 2008-06-07

    Re: 5000m

    Post by peace,love&running on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:59 pm

    xc running gal wrote:
    CT Track wrote:Apparently you haven't taken any math course.

    1 mile = approx. 1.6km

    1km = approx .62 miles

    .621371192 to be exact

    so by complex calculus we take 5 and multiply it by .621371192 and get the marginal revenue of:

    3.106856

    which rounds to 3.11

    which means a 5k is a 5k no matter what you think it is. Same as a mile is a mile. Everyone runs the same distance on the same course in the same conditions.

    ^^
    i like don't even know what calculus is...



    haha, i think he was being sarcastic because he was referring to basic multiplication as calculus.
    avatar
    running_violet
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

    Number of posts : 975
    Age : 23
    Location : cold cold Wisconsin
    Mile Time : 5:42
    Class : 2013
    5000m XC Time : 20:13 (road race)
    Registration date : 2008-06-24

    Re: 5000m

    Post by running_violet on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:10 pm

    peace,love&running wrote:
    xc running gal wrote:
    CT Track wrote:Apparently you haven't taken any math course.

    1 mile = approx. 1.6km

    1km = approx .62 miles

    .621371192 to be exact

    so by complex calculus we take 5 and multiply it by .621371192 and get the marginal revenue of:

    3.106856

    which rounds to 3.11

    which means a 5k is a 5k no matter what you think it is. Same as a mile is a mile. Everyone runs the same distance on the same course in the same conditions.

    ^^
    i like don't even know what calculus is...



    haha, i think he was being sarcastic because he was referring to basic multiplication as calculus.

    oh, ha okay. i get it now. that wasn't really calculus...
    smack

    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

    Number of posts : 271
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

    Re: 5000m

    Post by Adonai on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 am

    Calculus is easy.
    avatar
    PCNQtrack
    Elite
    Elite

    Number of posts : 1723
    Location : CO
    Mile Time : 4:59
    Class : '11 BABY
    5000m XC Time : 16:59
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

    Re: 5000m

    Post by PCNQtrack on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 pm

    My teacher always says " calculus is east, it's the algebra the will kill you"
    avatar
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

    Number of posts : 4924
    Age : 25
    Location : New York
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

    Re: 5000m

    Post by FinishingKick on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm

    CT Track wrote:

    but really, a mile is 1609m...
    so then you do 5000/1609 = 3.1068559612

    Which is what I just stated?
    Seriously.

    Sponsored content

    Re: 5000m

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:57 am