Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

I'm torn as events go for track

atcg
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1373
    5000m XC Time : 20:30
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

I'm torn as events go for track

Post by atcg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Okay, this post has a lot of info, but that's just so you guys can help me. Here it goes. This is all for spring track since we have no indoor season.

Basically, I'm a senior, but this year in track I will be focusing on pole vault for the first time. I'm doing so because my team has no pole vaulter so no matter what I do, I'll be the best on my team at it since I'm the only one doing it. That means unlike previous years, I will be focusing on pole vaulting now and taking it more seriously than other events. The fact of the matter is, my school has no vaulting equipment. I'm learning at someone's house. So when conditioning and everything starts, I think I will have to practice running events with the team and after practice or in my spare time I'll have to practice vaulting. Either that or I'll have to skip some practice.

Anyway, that got me thinking. What will my running events actually be? Previously, I've been doing the mile and two mile and occasionally 4x8. It occurred to me since I'm focusing at vaulting, why not switch up other things? Basically in those events the best I could hope for was #3 on my team and even that spot will be in jeopardy this year with a new kid we have who is basically a few seconds slower than me in XC. Rarely do we face a team where I'm better than their #1 runner, so I feel like I'm being wasted trying to complete a sweep for my team that will never happen when I'm barely better than the kid behind me and we have some events that barely have people, much less being filled up.

This led me to three possibilities on how I will approach track this year, as well as my winter training:

1. Change nothing. Still run the 1600 and 3200 and pole vault on the side. Barely score any points like last year in running and maybe have a chance at scoring points in pole vaulting, depending on how I improve (I know some schools won't have a vaulter, so I'll only need to clear the minimum. Hopefully I can get to that much).

2. Drop down to events like the 400m. It's been 10 days since I've last ran and I did some squats earlier today, but I went to the track and ran a miserable 200m in 30.75. Do you think with proper weightlifting and training I could drop to a respectable 400m time by spring? This would also free up more time from logging miles that could be used to practice pole vaulting.

3. Focus completely on vaulting and make my training pretty well rounded so I can basically fill in any event we need. If we need someone to run the 4x4, I'll do it. If we need someone to do some hurdles, I'll do it. Basically if we need someone to do something for whatever reason, I'll do it. I obviously won't win any of these events unless I'm the only one in there, but when your team is as empty as mine, these kind of people can come in handy. This would give me the most time to practice vaulting.

So what do you guys think? If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Running With Scissors
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4613
    Mile Time : 4:42
    Class : 2010
    5000m XC Time : 16:45

Re: I'm torn as events go for track

Post by Running With Scissors on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 pm

1 or 3. Focus on pole vaulting (and being a fill in for what ever your team needs at the time) or stay a distance runner and do pole vaulting on the side.
    Thats just my opinion. Do what ever you think you'll have the most fun in.

Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1609
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:05 pm

I'd focus on option 1, but do option 3 as well. You've already put in a lot of training as a distance runner, so you'll be ok at it.
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1729
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 pm

2 or 3 but focus on the vaulting either way.
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4924
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Whatever you feel like when track starts.

atcg
    Elite
    Elite

Post by atcg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 pm

FinishingKick wrote:Whatever you feel like when track starts.
    Well the thing is, each scenario would have me doing something differently over the winter.
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4924
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:52 pm

ATCG wrote:
    FinishingKick wrote:Whatever you feel like when track starts.
    Well the thing is, each scenario would have me doing something differently over the winter.
    Whatever you feel like now then. If you don't know yet decide, it's that simple.
    Just Because
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 541
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Post by Just Because on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 pm

If you are a good pole vaulter then 3. If not..1

atcg
    Elite
    Elite

Post by atcg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm completely new at vaulting. Like I'm not even high enough to jump the minimum yet. The thing is, I get better EVERY SINGLE TIME I go out and jump.
    whenhen
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1596
    Mile Time : I'm a rebel. I put text in here
    Class : 2012
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:46 PR; 2:00 range normal

Post by whenhen on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:37 pm

You should try option #1 at first, but try to focus a tad more on vaulting. If you get good enough to be at least slightly competitive, then try option #3 if you decide that pole vaulting is something you like to do.
    alex-likes-running
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Number of posts : 3475
    Class : 2010
    800m Time : 2:28
    5000m XC Time : 20:36
    Half-Marathon Time : 1:50

Post by alex-likes-running on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:33 am

personally i'd do #1, but #3 isnt to bad either.

ND XC 23
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 587
    Mile Time : i like to do stuff
    Class : funny

Post by ND XC 23 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm

i started vaulting my senior season also...except i didnt go out for the first time until march...and now im vaulting in college. i was planning on doing both distance and vault (kind of contradicting events...my pv coaches hate when i run over 2 miles...) but i unfortunately got pneumonia and then the week after i got back form that i got injured. so when i was finally healed i lost a ton of my conditioning and stopped doing distance for the rest of my season. but if you want to be decent at pv you cant do distance as well. you need speed, strength and power. not endurance. if you can make it over opening heights by the beginning of the season id go for number 3...but if not try number 2 and still do vaulting on the side.
    runnergirl93
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 563
    Mile Time : 6:00
    800m Time : 2:41
    5000m XC Time : 21:55
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runnergirl93 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 pm

i would say give pole vaulting a shot. its amazing from what ive done and seen. we have the state champion pole vaulter in the division on our team. he umm does pole vaulting mainly then sprints and then comes throwing. if you get better everytime go for it, and do running on the side. if that doesn't work out do the opposite.

atcg
    Elite
    Elite

Post by atcg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:30 pm

ND XC 23 wrote:i started vaulting my senior season also...except i didnt go out for the first time until march...and now im vaulting in college. i was planning on doing both distance and vault (kind of contradicting events...my pv coaches hate when i run over 2 miles...) but i unfortunately got pneumonia and then the week after i got back form that i got injured. so when i was finally healed i lost a ton of my conditioning and stopped doing distance for the rest of my season. but if you want to be decent at pv you cant do distance as well. you need speed, strength and power. not endurance. if you can make it over opening heights by the beginning of the season id go for number 3...but if not try number 2 and still do vaulting on the side.
    Would you be willing to help me out with vaulting in terms of helping me with my technique and stuff? I have some videos online.
    ND XC 23
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 587
    Mile Time : i like to do stuff
    Class : funny

Post by ND XC 23 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:23 am

ATCG wrote:
    ND XC 23 wrote:i started vaulting my senior season also...except i didnt go out for the first time until march...and now im vaulting in college. i was planning on doing both distance and vault (kind of contradicting events...my pv coaches hate when i run over 2 miles...) but i unfortunately got pneumonia and then the week after i got back form that i got injured. so when i was finally healed i lost a ton of my conditioning and stopped doing distance for the rest of my season. but if you want to be decent at pv you cant do distance as well. you need speed, strength and power. not endurance. if you can make it over opening heights by the beginning of the season id go for number 3...but if not try number 2 and still do vaulting on the side.
    Would you be willing to help me out with vaulting in terms of helping me with my technique and stuff? I have some videos online.
    yaa! i

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 am