Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+28
JK Runs
Adonai
Wgrt
T B K
ND XC 23
Just Because
Butch Cassidy
P2
Triathlete
funrunner
hxc
eternally_running
ButterySmoothStride
whenhen
xc_babe09
CT Track
PCNQtrack
Running With Scissors
BA_Sadie.
BagoXC25
NotChangingUntilSub5
FinishingKick
5280ft
AudienceOfOne
xotrackkgirl
Pinthin
alex-likes-running
Phuckduck
32 posters

Where Did God Go?????

XCruns33

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2008-10-22

Where Did God Go????? - Page 20 Empty Re: Where Did God Go?????

Post by XCruns33 Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:46 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    CT Track wrote:And generally, heroin is a white predominant drug. What of it? My point is you can take a small sample of anything and compare it to a complete opposite and call it a generalization. And GENERALLY, using the word GENERAL can also be used as STEREOTYPING.

It doesn't seem worth arguing with you, although it is fun, because your narrow mind can't accept anything besides what your reverend says.

You have two piles of marbles. Lots of marbles. Pile one pile is blue. The other pile is white with little pretty pink poka-dots.

Now in the first pile, the one with the blue marbles, there are several stragglers. You find a couple white-with-poka-dots marbles in the large cluster of blue marbles. And in the second pile, the one with the white, poka dotted marbles, there might be a good amount of blue marbles.

Would it still be fair to say, even with the odd marbles in each group, that generally pile one is blue and pile 2 is white with poka dots? Yes it would. You call me a racist for saying every marble in pile one is blue, or that every marble in pile two is whit with poka dots, but that is wrong.

You say that "generally" and "stereotyping" are the same, but that is wrong. Generalizing is what I just did with the marbles. Stereotyping is saying that in pile one, they are ALL blue marbles, even the marbles that are clearly white with polka dots. It is like saying in pile two that they are all white with poka dots, even the ones that are clearly blue.

I get all of what I know right now from books, and if beleiving the bible makes me narrow minded, I guess I'm narrow minded.

How am I the only other person who understood this...it's pretty clear what he was trying to say.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 263
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Adonai Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:23 am

XCruns33 wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    CT Track wrote:And generally, heroin is a white predominant drug. What of it? My point is you can take a small sample of anything and compare it to a complete opposite and call it a generalization. And GENERALLY, using the word GENERAL can also be used as STEREOTYPING.

It doesn't seem worth arguing with you, although it is fun, because your narrow mind can't accept anything besides what your reverend says.

You have two piles of marbles. Lots of marbles. Pile one pile is blue. The other pile is white with little pretty pink poka-dots.

Now in the first pile, the one with the blue marbles, there are several stragglers. You find a couple white-with-poka-dots marbles in the large cluster of blue marbles. And in the second pile, the one with the white, poka dotted marbles, there might be a good amount of blue marbles.

Would it still be fair to say, even with the odd marbles in each group, that generally pile one is blue and pile 2 is white with poka dots? Yes it would. You call me a racist for saying every marble in pile one is blue, or that every marble in pile two is whit with poka dots, but that is wrong.

You say that "generally" and "stereotyping" are the same, but that is wrong. Generalizing is what I just did with the marbles. Stereotyping is saying that in pile one, they are ALL blue marbles, even the marbles that are clearly white with polka dots. It is like saying in pile two that they are all white with poka dots, even the ones that are clearly blue.

I get all of what I know right now from books, and if beleiving the bible makes me narrow minded, I guess I'm narrow minded.

How am I the only other person who understood this...it's pretty clear what he was trying to say.

Of course you understood it. It's retarted.

And why would I waste my time refuting this irrelevant, stupid analogy when the person who came up with it is too dense to realize his own idiocy, not to mention the stupidity of the conceit. Besides, doing so would only lead the discussion further off topic, which would facilitate his side of the argument, for any real debate which remains on topic and rational can only lead to my being correct.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Post by AudienceOfOne Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Adonai wrote:
    XCruns33 wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

And why would I waste my time refuting this irrelevant, stupid analogy when the person who came up with it is too dense to realize his own idiocy, not to mention the stupidity of the conceit. Besides, doing so would only lead the discussion further off topic, which would facilitate his side of the argument, for any real debate which remains on topic and rational can only lead to my being correct.

You have made many topics that don't have to do with the original post. In fact, my long post(the one you won't argue with) only came from the result of something you said that did not have to do with the original post.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:13 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Adonai wrote:
    XCruns33 wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

You have made many topics that don't have to do with the original post. In fact, my long post(the one you won't argue with) only came from the result of something you said that did not have to do with the original post.

Since you so desperately cling to your hope that you may someday outwit me in any way, I will waste my time delineating to you exactly why you are dumb.

First of all, your assertion that to stereotype is to say ALL individuals exhibit some trait or behavior is wrong. To stereotype is to make an assumption based on a GENERALIZATION, and does not necessarily imply all individuals demonstrate these traits. Essentially, generalizing equals stereotyping. Don't act like your not making a generalization. If you want to prove the generalization you are making is correct, feel free to start up a new thread to do so because you may be right. My point is, you can't use this generalization as a basis for argument. Next, your marble analogy is not only an irrelevant, fallicious comparison, but is also just plain stupid. If you want to talk about marbles, why don't you go out to the playground for a while and let the grown-ups have an adult conversation.

Now that you have sufficiently wasted my time, let's use our brains so that we can prevent this kind of pointless explanation in the future.
    XCruns33

Post by XCruns33 Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

His analogy of the marbles was a good one. Telling him to "go to the playground" is taking the analogy out of context. Generalizing is like saying "most people in this room are wearing suits" whereas stereotyping would be to say "people in that room wear suits" (when not all of them do).

But anyways...back on topic.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:21 pm

XCruns33 wrote:His analogy of the marbles was a good one. Telling him to "go to the playground" is taking the analogy out of context. Generalizing is like saying "most people in this room are wearing suits" whereas stereotyping would be to say "people in that room wear suits" (when not all of them do).

But anyways...back on topic.

No, you are wrong. Read what I wrote.

And I wasn't taking the analogy anywhere, you moron. It was just a belittling comment.
    XCruns33

Post by XCruns33 Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:49 am

I read it, but it is hard to follow anything you write due to the "belittling" interjections thrown in everywhere. You should really concentrate more on emphasising your points versus just degrading people.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 am

Ok so how does saying all people are in the hood stupid not stereotypical.
    XCruns33

Post by XCruns33 Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 pm

^^^That statement WOULD be stereotypical.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Well then, maybe you should start reading the threads before commenting, because it seems you missed a lot.
    XCruns33

Post by XCruns33 Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I read back to page 22. I didn't miss anything. I was soley arguing what is sterotypical and what is generalization, nothing more. But I don't believe that all people brought up in poor neighborhoods are all dumb. The average IQ may be lower, but that is what you SHOULD expect out of someone who may have grown up with barely any food, and a single mother who could not take care of them. Many people do prevail out of such situations though.
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Stereotyping and generalizing are essentially the same concept. Stop being retarded. I don't know what definition of a stereotype you have read, but the differences between a stereotype and a generalization are miniscule.
    Regardless, whether you are stereotyping or generalizing, you are making a broad assumption about a group of people. Why debate this?

Considering your asinine decision to join this argument for the sole purpose of asserting your position on the nonexistant discrepancies between the words stereotype and generalize, I have concluded you are yet another weak-minded individual who is unaware of his own stupidity.
    XCruns33

Post by XCruns33 Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:47 pm

Look back to the point in the debate where I made my first point. What was being discussed there? Was my post REALLY that out of place? You have a knack for contextomy.
    Wgrt
    Wgrt
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 507
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by Wgrt Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:07 pm

one of the admins i think you should lock this thread, it's just a few people arguing over meanings of words now
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:26 pm

I never took anything you said out of context, so either you don't understand the meaning of this fallacy, or you just ignorantly used it as a desperate attempt at argument. No, what you said was not out of place--but, as I stated, you decided it would be a good idea to expand upon this stupid side rant which I had no intention of continuing, but because of the insistence of you morons that I debate that pathetic marble analogy was forced to do so. Now please, stop being stupid and say something relevant to the topic of the thread.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Christians should.

Someone symultaneously spreading presents across the world is just as absurd as someone hearing millions of murmurs at the same time.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:38 pm

T B K wrote:Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Christians should.

Someone symultaneously spreading presents across the world is just as absurd as someone hearing millions of murmurs at the same time.
    loltweenagers

Ya, joke's already been used, torn up, tossed out. And not sure what you mean by "murmurs",?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Adonai wrote:Stereotyping and generalizing are essentially the same concept. Stop being retarded. I don't know what definition of a stereotype you have read, but the differences between a stereotype and a generalization are miniscule.
    Regardless, whether you are stereotyping or generalizing, you are making a broad assumption about a group of people. Why debate this?

Considering your asinine decision to join this argument for the sole purpose of asserting your position on the nonexistant discrepancies between the words stereotype and generalize, I have concluded you are yet another weak-minded individual who is unaware of his own stupidity.
    I told you the difference of a generalization and stereotypes. Read my marbles post.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Wgrt wrote:one of the admins i think you should lock this thread, it's just a few people arguing over meanings of words now
    it's the argument forum. i don't see a problem.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Adonai, say something ignorant about Christianity again so we can stop arguing about IQs, hoods, and marbles.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Post by CT Track Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 pm

Haha Christianity and ignorance used in the same sentence. Ironic
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 pm

CT Track wrote:Haha Christianity and ignorance used in the same sentence. Ironic
    Good one. Rolling Eyes
    Adonai
    Pro
    Pro

Post by Adonai Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    Adonai wrote:Stereotyping and generalizing are essentially the same concept. Stop being retarded. I don't know what definition of a stereotype you have read, but the differences between a stereotype and a generalization are miniscule.

I told you the difference of a generalization and stereotypes. Read my marbles post.

ARE YOU STUPID? Your explained difference between generalizations and stereotypes is completely incorrect. You are incredibly dense.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but there's probably no such thing as god. The higher a person's religiosity, the lower their IQ. Creationism/Intelligent Design is retarted. I am vastly smarter than you.

I think that covers the basics.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:31 am

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    T B K wrote:Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Christians should.

loltweenagers

Ya, joke's already been used, torn up, tossed out. And not sure what you mean by "murmurs",?

Prayers. I'm definitly sure some people pray out loud (or murmur).
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:24 am

Adonai wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:

ARE YOU STUPID? Your explained difference between generalizations and stereotypes is completely incorrect. You are incredibly dense.

generalize
    5.to form general principles, opinions, etc.
    6.to deal, think, or speak in generalities.
    7.to make general inferences.

stereotype
    5.to make a stereotype of.
    6.to characterize or regard as a stereotype: The actor has been stereotyped as a villain.
    7.to give a fixed form to.

straight from the dictionary. these support what i said in my post. and i'll ignore the rest of the little christian put-downs. but i will admit you are smarter than me, i think i remember you saying you are out of high school and went to a catholic HS. so yes, i would expect that you would be smarter than me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am